Destination Weddings Discussions

HORRIBLE HAIR TRIALS

So I have had a total of 3 trials so far, and two have been complete disasters and the third was just okay, something I could do myself. I am getting married in a more remote area of upstate NY in the Hudson area. I grew up in Chicago and live in Orange County so perhaps my standards and expectations are higher but the prices I was charged for the trials and the contract quotes are not at all small town prices these are prices I'd expect to pay in NYC! The first two stylists completely butchered the volumized half up half down look I wanted and the third one only attempted a simple one and said she would ask another stylist if she could do the complex one I wanted but she wasn't sure if she could do it, trial was almost 90, and another hundred for the other two. I'm back in California now and won't be able to do another trial with someone else until about a week and a half before the wedding, I have gotten in touch with a stylist by word of mouth and she seems excellent but she can only handle 3 hairdos out of the 7 or 8 we will need, does anyone have an excellent updo stylist they can suggest near the Albany area willing to work with another stylist? The ones I have talked to seem to want to try and spend only 30 minutes on each lady so that they can get money for the entire party and I am not okay with that and the ones I've tried so far have been extremely medicare and incapable with a more challenging half up half down style. I am also looking to incorporate clip in extensions. Thank you in advance! 

Re: HORRIBLE HAIR TRIALS

• This is an international board. You will have better luck if you ask for a mod to move this to the local board. Try browsing the Albany board to see if you can find something there too. 

• So I have had a total of 3 trials so far, and two have been complete disasters and the third was just okay, something I could do myself. I am getting married in a more remote area of upstate NY in the Hudson area. I grew up in Chicago and live in Orange County so perhaps my standards and expectations are higher but the prices I was charged for the trials and the contract quotes are not at all small town prices these are prices I'd expect to pay in NYC! The first two stylists completely butchered the volumized half up half down look I wanted and the third one only attempted a simple one and said she would ask another stylist if she could do the complex one I wanted but she wasn't sure if she could do it, trial was almost 90, and another hundred for the other two. I'm back in California now and won't be able to do another trial with someone else until about a week and a half before the wedding, I have gotten in touch with a stylist by word of mouth and she seems excellent but she can only handle 3 hairdos out of the 7 or 8 we will need, does anyone have an excellent updo stylist they can suggest near the Albany area willing to work with another stylist? The ones I have talked to seem to want to try and spend only 30 minutes on each lady so that they can get money for the entire party and I am not okay with that and the ones I've tried so far have been extremely medicare and incapable with a more challenging half up half down style. I am also looking to incorporate clip in extensions. Thank you in advance! 

If you really like the one that can only do three people, pick her and then get someone else for others. Have you brought pictures of exactly what you are looking for? Also, not sure if you are making your party get their hair done, but if so, don't dictate styles and pay for it all. Otherwise, let people do their own hair. 
  • Is the stylist you like only able to do three because of time, or is there some other issue? And do all of your bridal party members want their hair done professionally, and are they all having complex styles?  Let your bridal party make their own hair arrangements. 

As for pricing; are you traveling to the salon on the day of your wedding, or asking a stylist to come to you? If you're looking in Albany but asking them to travel, of course prices are going to be higher, they account for travel time and book essentially their entire day. Also, while compared to Chicago and Orange Co. Albany may not seem like a large city, but it's not exactly a small town, nor is the Hudson Valley area cheap. I was married in Buffalo and paid something similar for my trial and for my day-of hair.