Chit Chat
Options

NWR - Vintage diet recipes

Re: NWR - Vintage diet recipes

• Options
    I.....I have so much to say. 

Why the obsession with mackerel?

The frankenfurter focus seems a little Freudian. 

Who thought any of these were a good idea?!

For real though....I might actually be able to make a gourmet version of that hamburger with apples that might be half way decent. Or I've been watching too much Chopped.  

• Options
    Wow. Ick. The writer noted that the cards must have been sponsored by a gelatin company, but, honestly, I think that's just how people were back then. Making everything with gelatin in a jello mold was the "thing" back then. Did anyone watch The Astronaut Wives Club on ABC last summer? The food the ladies would bring to their liftoff potlucks was pretty funny. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    LOL!

Oh the jello molds! I am glad they are no longer a thing (fortunately I've never actually had any, but they sound terrible enough).

Perhaps mackerel was cheap?

The apple burgers *could* be good- but you're right levioosa, there is a much better way to do it.

The stuff lettuce also makes me laugh/gag. Cottage cheese in a lettuce leaf! Eww!
  • Options

Wow. Ick. The writer noted that the cards must have been sponsored by a gelatin company, but, honestly, I think that's just how people were back then. Making everything with gelatin in a jello mold was the "thing" back then. Did anyone watch The Astronaut Wives Club on ABC last summer? The food the ladies would bring to their liftoff potlucks was pretty funny. 

This was a thing. My grandmother used to make lots of stuff with gelatine. They were disgusting!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    That crown roast of frankfurters is hilarious.

I've eaten my share of gelatin salads. My late SIL always contributed one to the family dinners. She'd always say - 'you'll never guess what's in this.' The answer usually involved either mayonnaise or cool whip.

• Options
    The frankfurter "spectacular" and the crown roast of frankfurters have me cracking up.

80s diet fads weren't all that much better - I remember my dad did this diet that was like 90% beets.