Wedding Woes
Options

In-Law Issues - Really Long Post***

13»

Re: In-Law Issues - Really Long Post***

• Options
    His family is against therapy. 
  • Options

There's a difference between not being able to afford it and not wanting to spend the money. it's  not about appearing to a charity case, if his family needed help paying for the trip, he would of figured out a way to help. 

Okay, so that says to me you still don't understand that you're trying to dictate how and when and on what your FILs spend their own money.  The difference isn't between means and desire.  If they have the means but lack the desire, there is no one and nothing in the world who can force them to spend this money on something they don't want to do.  Some people really just don't think weddings are worth the cost of attending, no matter if it's their fraternal twin or their "firstborn."  If your FILs have the desire but lack the means, then that's on you for not completely accommodating their means in your plans.  They are under no obligation to accept money from you and FI, and forcing it upon them would likely have not been a workable solution because that would not have changed they way they felt before this whole thing blew up.  MIL still would have felt like you didn't want her there because the location for the DW was outside of her means, and now she IS a charity case because you're paying for her to be there.

Does it suck that you think they have the means and they are clearly expressing no desire to attend your wedding?  Sure, I agree that does suck.  But in no way shape or form are you or FI in the right for your behavior towards them.  You can't force them to attend.  Stop judging them for not wanting to attend.  Stop trying to justify your position by making assumptions about their means and desires.  Stop trying to blame the total communication breakdown between everyone involved solely on them.

You want them there, they don't want to spend the money to be there.  But, since they've since been uninvited, I think this whole thing is moot.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Are you providing for all their meals and other expenses while they're there? The islands aren't inexpensive places to eat. Is FMIL factoring in the expenses of staying there for several days? Your figure only includes hotel and airfare for 3 people and doesn't seem particularly realistic.
  • Options

geebee908 said:

Are you providing for all their meals and other expenses while they're there? The islands aren't inexpensive places to eat. Is FMIL factoring in the expenses of staying there for several days? Your figure only includes hotel and airfare for 3 people and doesn't seem particularly realistic.

It was for an all-inclusive resort, so I'd assume meals are included.
  • Options

Your FILs are entitled to their feelings, as illogical as they may seem to you. So you can continue to argue they shouldn't feel this way or you (and your FI) can start to deal with the consequences of their feelings and your FIs overreaction to them. You can continue to complain they're not coming or you (again the two of you) can deal with them as adults, apologize for your role in the problem and move forward. I'm just not sure where continuing  to say they're wrong is going to get you. 

Yep. Your FI has done some hurtful things here, namely uninviting them because his (and your) definition of what should be more important to them than anything else isn't being met. Now even if they were the only ones in the wrong before, you both are.

And as I mentioned before, you keep saying they don't have the desire to go. Maybe they don't, now that they've been uninvited. But I seriously doubt that they didn't want to go before. They did want to go, and when they brought up the "whose idea was this?" they were probably reacting out of sadness that you made it so expensive for them. It's not that they didn't have some desire, it's just that they weren't going to totally upend everything in their life to make this trip happen. If you don't think that's enough desire, you're entitled to that feeling (and honestly, I think entitled in your attitude), but own that you didn't make it as easy as your could have, your FI reacted poorly, and feeling those things/dwelling on them isn't going to fix your relationship with ILs. That's also your choice.

Yes, I consulted all VIPs about time and location of wedding.
  • Options
    You're absolutely right. Just to be clear I haven't tried to force them to come.

I made the assumption that the location would not be an issue. I was wrong.

Overall I'm just disappointed in the whole situation. What has been said/done cannot be taken back. As far as FI, I agree with his actions being rude and uncalled for. From the conversation I had with him he was pretty hurt and lashed out. Something I'm sure we're all guilty of at one point. It's not that he cannot apologize, he just knows that it'll be a patch job and the real issues within his family will still linger. Uninviting them was an easier pill for him to swallow than seeing them pretend to be happy for him. A call I didn't think was his to make but he made it. He maintains that they were not/are not genuinely happy for him and his mon's phone call was her way of letting him know without saying it.

Hopefully one day we'll all be able to move past this. 

Thanks!
  • Options
    Everything is included in the price, as it is an all inclusive resort. It sounds unrealistic but it is not. Both my mother and sister booked their tickets for less than $450 each and hotel for 4 nights for 2 people for about $336. Breakfast, snack and dinner are all included.
  • Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017

6fsn said:

What does FL stand for?  I keep going back and forth between future lover and Florida. 

• Options

His family is against therapy. 

I meant couples therapy, not therapy with his parents. 
  • Options

Everything is included in the price, as it is an all inclusive resort. It sounds unrealistic but it is not. Both my mother and sister booked their tickets for less than $450 each and hotel for 4 nights for 2 people for about $336. Breakfast, snack and dinner are all included.

An AI for $84/night for 2 people. You'd be hard-pressed to find a decent hotel in the US for that.
  • Options
    $84 per night and at 4.5 stars. Couldn't tell the last time I found a hotel stateside with those numbers.