Wedding Woes

NO Monday yet?

How was the weekend?  How's the week shaping up?

Saturday was COLD.  M2 had a birthday party (I was odd mom out), 6let had baseball practice followed by a soccer game. He had another great game but holy cow was it COLD- winter coat, gloves, hats, and blankets cold.  After that DH and I went out to dinner for our anniversary.  MIL story about that below.

Sunday was GORGEOUS.  Church, lunch, lacrosse, and yardwork.  I got my hanging baskets loaded with lettuce and herbs and we planted blueberry and raspberry bushes and asparagus. 

This week is a madhouse- psr, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, bible study, First Communion, Crew game, and I'm filling in for someone at work so I'll be lucky if my part time job doesn't go into overtime this week.

I'm dying to get my hair cut too.  Like CUT SHORT.  I've been watching HGTV and want Erin Napier's hair. 

MIL story:  My parents were coming to the game Saturday then taking the kids to dinner and DH and I were going out.  At the last minute MIL called to say they were coming to the game.  My mom invited MIL and sFIL to go to dinner with them.  MIL declined because they were going to Der Dutchman instead.  Really?  You'd rather skip dinner with your grandkids just so you can go to a different restaurant?  I just don't get it. 

Re: NO Monday yet?

• edited April 2017
    @6fsn ((NO Monday Ever)) your MIL story sounds like something my mom would do. One time I invited her into my new house while I ran in to change and grab a couple things because she hadn't seen it yet but she declined because she had to reset the clock in her car. ::rolls eyes::

• Saturday was nuts: riding, birthday party, soccer, swim, minor league baseball game, sleepover.  So yesterday, we did very little.  Also, it rained all day.  (Still raining.)  So soccer was rained out, and I wasn't the least bit sad about it.  Wooz must have stayed up late at the sleepover, because she came home monstrous.  I made her take a nap for the first time in years, and she woke up normal again.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2017
    Weekend was OK.  Pretty low-key.  DefConn and I hung out a lot.  

Saturday, I watched my nephew so my sister could go to a beer festival.  Yesterday, I worked a little and then I went to the store.  

DH's grandfather passed away last night, so we're waiting to see how arrangements shake out so we can get our week planned.  DH's step-grandma asked him to do the eulogy, which I think is quite an honor for DH (he's the oldest grandchild).  I think DH, myself, and DefConn are set as far as clothes.  The kiddo needs to look through his hovel of a room to see if we can cobble together some funeral clothes or there may be shopping in our future. 
  • @mrsconn23, sorry to hear about GFIL.

Weekend was good.  We got the vegetable garden fenced in (ish--it wouldn't stop me if I were a hungry deer) and planted.  Yesterday was dark and rainy, so we just chilled on the couch and watched movies.  I got to sleep an extra hour this morning because it was raining so hard when I woke up at my normal time to walk the dogs.  Between midnight and 4am, we got over an inch of rain, and between 4-5am, we got almost 3/4."  I could have stayed in bed allll day.

Also, I must be a spider-magnet, because I got another spider bite working in the yard, and my entire hand is so swollen, the individual knuckles are no longer discernible.  This one hurts a lot more than the other bites have.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• We had an out of town wedding this weekend.  It was at a resort about 4.5 hours from us.  The wedding was outdoors on Saturday afternoon and it was gorgeous.  Not a cloud in the sky, 65 degrees and no wind.  

There had been drama leading up to the wedding with the groom's family.  In the end, his parents came but did not sit in the front row (their choice) and I heard his sister was at the wedding but not reception.  

During his speech, the groom thanked his parents for raising him to be the man his wife fell in love with.  I thought that was a classy way to include his parents despite the drama they had caused.

We drove back yesterday, got unpacked and I crashed.  This morning I woke up and realized I hadn't set my alarm last night.  Good thing I woke up 4 mins after it usually goes off - whew!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I am so sorry @mrsconn23
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017

I took off work Friday because I had a morning doctor's appointment.  My typical 2-3x/year with an endocrinologist.  I was very excited that my A1C (3-month average blood sugar) had improved extensively from last time and was the best its been in a few years!  I'm going to keep up the good work and try to improve it even more!

My doctor's office is out in the 'burbs, so I always take that opportunity to go do stuff and/or get food that I don't normally.  Friday was no exception.  I got take-out lunch at a casual, small chain restaurant called New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood.  They were running a special on Crawfish Boil soup.  Which I was intrigued to try anyway and it was only $3 for a cup.  It wasn't quite as good as I was expecting,  but still good.

Saturday and Sunday were super mellow.  My H and I ran out to get some work done in the morning.  We were back home by 10:30AM and didn't leave the house again for the rest of the weekend.

The best thing about the weekend was I caught up on some sleep!  Though I'm right back to dragging this morning, of course.  I'm double fisting coffee and Monster Ultra Sunrise at the moment.

Edited to add:

@mrsconn23, sorry to hear about your DH's grandfather

@atomicblonde, yikes, spider bite!  I hope it gets better soon.  I used to work for a tree care company and one of our employees got a nasty one.  He had to go to urgent care for it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 , I'm sorry to hear about grandpa conn. :(  (And yeah, kid-funeral-clothes shopping is not fun.)

@short+sassy, congrats on the A1C!

@atomicblonde, I don't want to freak you out, but a woman at my dry cleaner was recently hospitalized for a spider bite.  They think it was brown recluse.  I asked the other woman there if she had quit, because I hadn't seen her in a couple of weeks, and that's when she filled me in.  The woman is back now, but can still only work part-time at the moment.  That bite really messed her up!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery, but if it seems to be getting worse, don't be stubborn like she was. :)
  • @mrsconn23 I'm so sorry about your GFIL. 

@atomicblonde Yikes! I definitely agree with @Heffalump that you should keep a close eye on it and get it checked out by a doctor just to be safe. 

This weekend was super productive. H put the crib together and I cleaned the hardwood floors and hung up the new window treatments and put the rug down in the nursery. It's coming together quite nicely and looks cozy and girly :)

Yesterday was GORGEOUS so I took the puppy for a loooooong walk while H started his craft beer brewing operation. Then I ran a bunch of errands and treated myself to a blowout. When I got home we took the puppy for a walk to the pond in our neighborhood and then went out to the local townie pub for burgers. 

Our dishwasher has been giving us hints that it wants to be replaced for the past few months (we have to kick in the door or it leaks all over our kitchen floor, for example). On Saturday afternoon the springs in the door just gave up so the door doesn't really support itself when it opens; it just gives in to gravity - and without those springs, it's surprisingly heavy! I found a Bosch and a GE that we both like and we went to Lowe's to check them out and place an order/set up installation, only to find out that apparently in MA you need to pull two permits in order to get a dishwasher installed (evidently this went through in 2014, when we were still living in our dishwasher-less apartment). AND since our house was built in 1928, we would need to have an electrician come out to make sure the dishwasher is on it's own circuit or else we will need to upgrade the electric. WHY oh why is nothing simple???

• Heffalump said:

@atomicblonde, I don't want to freak you out, but a woman at my dry cleaner was recently hospitalized for a spider bite.  They think it was brown recluse.  I asked the other woman there if she had quit, because I hadn't seen her in a couple of weeks, and that's when she filled me in.  The woman is back now, but can still only work part-time at the moment.  That bite really messed her up!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery, but if it seems to be getting worse, don't be stubborn like she was. :)

Thanks :)  Brown recluses are nasty.  One of my mom's co-workers lost a finger to a bite, and she was out for a really long time.  I'm so paranoid I think every bite is a recluse. Hopefully it isn't, but I will be keeping an eye on it. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• So sorry for your loss @mrsconn23

Interview got pushed to tomorrow, trying not to read anything in to that. Prepping tonight/tomorrow. 

Weekend was good; we finally bought plants for the flower beds, did some landscaping, and general house fun. It's the last week of class, the end is in sight!
  • Good luck, @charlotte989875!  I wouldn't read anything into the change.  It's possible the interviewers also found out Friday that there was a Monday interview on their calendar, and they're not well-enough prepared.  You'll do great!

--Philip Pullman

• I'm sorry for your family's loss, @mrsconn23

Friday, K and I went and watched RPDR at a local bar, which was hella fun to do with a big group.  Also, it's a predominantly gay male bar, so every time we go there, everyone is always, "Hello, ladies!" and buys us drinks.  IDK why, but they're all a lot of fun and we have a good time.  I worked my butt off on Pride stuff all day on Saturday.  K and I ended up in a tiff, but got it worked out.  Sunday was some relaxing.  

In big news, I baked bread for the first time on Sunday.  Cooking was something exH and I always did together and had learned together.  I've been in a hella cooking funk lately and finally decided I need to bake some bread to get over the hump.  I made some foccacia.  It was pretty good.  K was in heaven.  I also set us up with a meal planning service that I think I'm going to like.  I need to both start reducing my budget and waistline, so hopefully this helps.
  • Sorry for your loss @mrsconn23

I'm sleepy, but the day is almost over for me.  The weekend was busy, as most of our weekends are these days. I went with some friends to a quaint town not the south of The Netherlands on Saturday.  It's on the Belgium border, so they have a lot of Belgium and German influence in their architecture. But it's over 2.5 hours by train, so it was a long day.  Went in some tunnels, though, that was cool.

I work PT as a nanny, and the kids are on school holiday. That means full days.  We played A LOT of Clue, re-potted some plants, and went to a little local carnival.  The youngest has now realized that it's after 5 pm, and is allowed the TV.  Tomorrow I hope to take them to the beach with my dog (who is not used to full days alone).
  • Saturday we went and had breakfast with MIL and then drove around looking at houses just to be sure we wanted to tour them. Went to Dick's so H could get some golf stuff because, you know, when you golf once every two years, you need two new outfits, new glove, and two boxes of balls. <insert eyeroll>

Sunday, we went and toured 5 houses. The one I like best has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 living rooms (one was big enough to put another dining table in, and the most fabulous kitchen I've ever seen, but the backyard, bedrooms, and bathrooms was on the small side and the bathrooms needed updating. However, the addition has a community pool, tennis court, basketball court, and the elementary school is at the end of the block. So the search continues.

I have a phone interview today and I'm hoping to hear back about a second interview for the job I want.
  • Hi all!

I want to move to the mountains and hike for a living haha.  Not really, but kind of.  Denver was so amazing and Rocky Mountain National Park is like no other.  It was especially special to be there on Earth Day.  What an amazing reminder to love the planet you got!  I'll see if my phone will let me post a pic.

Today - I am exhausted city and my to do list is 17 items long even though I only took 1 full day off.  Fingers crossed, they turn into orders and the orders turn into bacon:).

@atomicblonde maybe you're allergic and that's why you're having those reactions.  Either way, hope the swelling goes down soon.

@charlotte989875 Tuesday interviews are way better than Monday!  Mondays everyone is cranky and playing catch up and setting their agendas for the week.  Methinks a one day bump can be a good thing!

@mrsconn23 I'm so sorry for your loss, and I agree that giving the eulogy is a tremendous honor.
  • @mrsconn23 My condolences about GFIL. Hugs to you and your family.
    @atomicblonde Keep an eye on that bite! Are there any poisonous spiders in your area or are you just sensitive? 
    Glad you had fun on your vacation @kimmiinthemitten :)

I made the salmon recipe @levioosa posted last Wednesday for dinner this evening and it was delicious!! We ate all of it before we could even think about saving a bite for the pup. He is pouting now, lol.

Remember a few weeks ago when my DH's dept. head was fired over night? No? Well, the second in change is a major fuck up, they pulled him off a project and made my DH lead. I am very proud of him. 

I got thrown off my horse yesterday. Luckily my pride is hurt more than anything else.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2017
    can I just say how much I LOVE my local baby buy/sell/trade facebook group. Today I'm buying a baby/toddler slide for $5, bouncer chair for $5 and trading a lady Similac coupons for diapers (and this is about the 6th time I've traded this lady, so I've gotten 10+ packs of diapers for coupons I can't use). 

I just got the dreaded "teacher appreciation week" notification. Dreaded only in the sense of I knew there would be something and I don't really know what to do but I know we're supposed to do something. The notification says to write a note of thanks, draw a picture or bring flowers or a small gift card. Here's the problem: I have no idea how many "teachers" he has. He has his normal teacher in the mornings that I see the most, but some mornings she isn't there and someone else is covering, plus there are floaters during the day for ratios and in the afternoons it is usually one of 2-3 people when I pick him up. I have no idea what I would even do since there are so many "teachers" he has.
  • Oh. The bridal shower I was invited to for the "elopement" that she's telling people about, I wasn't able to go to. H already had plans and the host wanted no children, so I couldn't go.

• kvruns said:

can I just say how much I LOVE my local baby buy/sell/trade facebook group. Today I'm buying a baby/toddler slide for $5, bouncer chair for $5 and trading a lady Similac coupons for diapers (and this is about the 6th time I've traded this lady, so I've gotten 10+ packs of diapers for coupons I can't use). 

I just got the dreaded "teacher appreciation week" notification. Dreaded only in the sense of I knew there would be something and I don't really know what to do but I know we're supposed to do something. The notification says to write a note of thanks, draw a picture or bring flowers or a small gift card. Here's the problem: I have no idea how many "teachers" he has. He has his normal teacher in the mornings that I see the most, but some mornings she isn't there and someone else is covering, plus there are floaters during the day for ratios and in the afternoons it is usually one of 2-3 people when I pick him up. I have no idea what I would even do since there are so many "teachers" he has.

The other lady is probably saying, "There's this great mom on FB!  I trade her diapers I can't use anymore for Similac coupons that save me a ton of money."  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kvruns said:

The other lady is probably saying, "There's this great mom on FB!  I trade her diapers I can't use anymore for Similac coupons that save me a ton of money."  :)

Very true! 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @VarunaTT what recipe did you use?
  • @mrsconn23 sorry for the family's loss

weekend was a bit of a bust - DK and I had to ditch dinner early on Friday because Wolverine threw up at the PSN (babysitting service at her gym). Luckily it was a one time thing, and she didn't throw up again. She was still dealing with an upset stomach on Saturday, so DK skipped his fish thing and stayed home with us. I got some cleaning done (sorting out clothes to donate, cleaning out my closet) and DK did some work in the yard. 

Week will be busy - we have tickets for Finding Neverland tomorrow night, and I have concert tickets for Wednesday. 

• 6fsn said:

@VarunaTT what recipe did you use?

I used this:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/focaccia-recipe

Since this was the first time baking bread in my oven, some of the faults I can't blame on the recipe.  However, next time I will definitely only bake 25" and I would not use the 1/2 cup of oil on the pan...maybe 1/4ish.  It should be a heavy coat and my pan had too much liquid.  It also was a wee bit too dense, but that might've been from overcooking/too much oil too.  The crust was great and the dough felt right the rest of the time.

also, your book is en route and should be there Wednesday.  Sorry for being slow.
  • So sorry about GFIL, @mrsconn23.

Sending healing vibes for you, @atomicblonde!

It was the usual Monday madness at work. After work, I went to a community meeting about opiate addiction. It was mostly discussion and brainstorming in breakout groups, and I met some interesting people and learned quite a bit.

• kvruns said:

Could you pick up enough bakery for all the staff?
  • I'm sorry for your loss @mrsconn23

@missJeanLouise I accidentally dropped a piece of salmon on the floor the last time I made it so kitten got to enjoy a primo dinner that night. Haha. 

• I saw Aladdin in Chicago this weekend. It was fantastic. DD, SIL and two of their friends went along. We all were just smiling it was so much fun. DD and I had girl time together Friday and Saturday. Yesterday was church and brunch before I headed home. H had another obligation this weekend so he didn't go. Today I'm running errands before we go on a long weekend trip to California. Book club tonight - that's always a good time.

oh  man! I lost out on my ticket, and couldn't use it (I was sick. or hungover..whatever you want to call it) but now I'm really really hoping to go.  They extended the performance. I should keep my eye on stubhub. Sometimes you get deals on the day of for people who can't make it and will want something- anything instead of losing out completely. 

• @CharmedPam, I was wondering if you found tickets for the past weekend. You really should get tickets. So worth it! It was a traditional Broadway musical spectacle. I heard they had extended the run. There were kids there (we went to the 7:30 show) but I bet matinees are packed with kids. Sorry you were sick/hungover and slept through it. Good luck with stubhub!