Wedding Woes

It's Wednesday

I had another good interview yesterday. It seems like a good company with a pretty relaxed atmosphere. The CFO kept saying "You'd be doing X. We'd give you Y." So that seems promising, but I've been wrong before. I left there right at 5 and my commute was only about 8 minutes longer than it is now. 

Gave my realtor my earnest money check yesterday. H and I were looking at furniture online last night. I'm just so excited at this step we get to take together!

Norah (sweet, heaven-sent Norah) slept from 9-6:15 last night! Apparently, Mouse woke up at 2, but I slept through it. Y'all!!! I got a full night's sleep for the first time in almost 2 years!

I have a baby shower to go to this weekend and I still haven't finished the blanket I'm making her. I was looking through her registry this morning and sent her a lot of unsolicited advice and am now worrying that I might have upset her. Her mom is one of my best friends and I told her and she said they didn't know what they were doing. 

What are you lovelies up to today?

Re: It's Wednesday

• @DrillSergeantCat  yay sleep!!! Yay potential job and yay house stuff! What a good day for you! :)

@charlotte989875  all the vibes! :D

Last night was mainly phone calls and youtube. M was watching hockey, but we called family who were waiting on hearing about M's job sitch.

*huge sigh of relief*

We're not out of the woods yet, but it's so good to finally see an ending. We're guestimating on his pay because the site I use to figure that out doesn't include benefits, etc. So we lowered the amount a bit. Still a good bump from old company, and gives us idea on budget wise.

I'm trying to make a list of food to buy for lunches. It's not full on grocery shop but still enough. Likely we're doing it Friday after my allergist appt - which I'm thankful he can drive me to, otherwise it's a 2hr bus ride *sigh*

We're also starting to look at paint for the kitchen. I'd grabbed a couple of nice samples, but none of them are the tone I want AND 2 of the 3 aren't even close to the colour I wanted once I put them against the back splash! {it's got tiles with grey, and I want similar tone to that, just a bit lighter since it's dark}

Side note: need to start rinsing with salt and water. Slight sore throat but also I think I bit my cheek/tongue in my sleep and it hurts like a mofo :(
    Dammit ....
  • @charlotte989875 good vibes always!

@MissKittyDanger paint is so hard! It looks good in the store, but then you get it home and it's different. My realtor turned us on to daylight bulbs which is (I think) what they have the paint samples under. It makes a huge difference. I'm so happy for you and M! 
  • Good luck, @charlotte989875!  And fingers crossed for you, @DrillSergeantCat.  Hope it's all good news.

I'm in a bit of a snit today, for reasons unknown.  I just... have an urge to either throw things or run until I pass out.  Neither is a feasible option for me, at the moment, so here I am.  Waiting for Friday....

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @DrillSergeantCat I swear the bulbs we have in our kitchen are different then the store! Store was more yellow, kitchen is more white. The second I put the samples by that light, they looked more warm-grey and we need cool-grey. BLARG!!! Paint pisses me off :')
  • Yeah for sleeping babies @DrillSergeantCat! Glad you had such a good day. Good luck with the interview @charlotte989875.

Not much going on today. Did grocery shopping since we were on a long weekend trip. I'm walking around in a boot because of tendonitis. Makes working out difficult. Doggies were so glad to be picked up from the kennel yesterday. They've been sleeping ever since they came home!
  • edited May 2017
    I'm back on the dog hunt today.  Well, not the hunt but I'm making a case for Izzy.  I've joked about wanting dogs before but this time it's legit, I really think we're the right house for her.

Step 1:  talk to H when PMSing so you get emotional and he caves.  Check.  
    Step 2.  talk to the rescue and see what they require for a house check (fencing, we're only partial), pet check etc and get approved.
    Step 3.  Find a dog sitter for the two weekends we're out of town (or stretch out the process so we get her after Memorial Day and only need a sitter one weekend).

Job vibes for @charlotte989875 and @DrillSergeantCat.

@MissKittyDanger my kitchen is Home Depot orange because I was blinded by the light, so to speak.  Don't be tricked!

• I'm back on the dog hunt today.  Well, not the hunt but I'm making a case for Izzy.  I've joked about wanting dogs before but this time it's legit, I really think we're the right house for her.

Step 2.  talk to the rescue and see what they require for a house check (fencing, we're only partial), pet check etc and get approved.
    Step 3.  Find a dog sitter for the two weekends we're out of town (or stretch out the process so we get her after Memorial Day and only need a sitter one weekend).

@MissKittyDanger my kitchen is Home Depot orange because I was blinded by the light, so to speak.  Don't be tricked!

Can she go to a doggy dare care for the weekends? Our vet does pet sitting, would that be an option?

• I'm back on the dog hunt today.  Well, not the hunt but I'm making a case for Izzy.  I've joked about wanting dogs before but this time it's legit, I really think we're the right house for her.

Can she go to a doggy dare care for the weekends? Our vet does pet sitting, would that be an option?

Or try Rover if you'd prefer a dog sitter.  It's like Care.com for pets.  

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @kimmiinthemitten  After discovering the light difference, I refuse to buy paint until I see it at home. Our ENTIRE house is the same colour. Yellow-beige. Fml.

Our vet does too so yes it is, but I'd prefer it as a last resort.  I asked H to call his brother and ask him to house sit at least one of the weekends and tell him to invite his girlfriend out to stay too.  

We booked our second trip for as soon as H was done with school so we'd have all summer with a dog.  I should never have looked before we were ready.  This is like online shopping for a wedding dress after you've bought yours.  But what's done is done and I'm on a mission:).

• @kimmiinthemitten  After discovering the light difference, I refuse to buy paint until I see it at home. Our ENTIRE house is the same colour. Yellow-beige. Fml.

I always buy a sample and paint a swatch on the wall. Actually, I'll get a few at a time and do them all at once. Then, you can see what it looks like in all lights.

Or try Rover if you'd prefer a dog sitter.  It's like Care.com for pets.  

This is awesome!  Thanks, I didn't know about this site!
  • M is at his job for paperwork and lunch.

Exact words when I left this morning:

anna kendrick july 4th pp make good choices GIF

I always buy a sample and paint a swatch on the wall. Actually, I'll get a few at a time and do them all at once. Then, you can see what it looks like in all lights.

We probably will. Our kitchen isn't the brightest, so it'll be good to see in natural light also.
  • @DrillSergeantCat congrats on the sleeping!!

@charlotte989875 sending you good vibes!!!!

@MissKittyDanger try Sherwin Williams Monochrome - it's a light, cool grey we have in our living room (see below). It looks slightly darker in the photo than it is because the photo was taken on an overcast winter afternoon. 

Or Ben Moore Bunny Grey - friends of mine just painted their nursery this color and it looks AMAZING. 
  •  @DrillSergeantCat, Yay!  So many good things happening!  Sending good vibes for the interview you went on yesterday.

@Charlotte989875, Good luck with your interview this afternoon!

@MissKittyDanger, if I didn't say it already, congrats to M!  I hate choosing paint colors also.  My personal home is in desperate need of a total interior paint job (except the kitchen).  Except my H and I can't agree on a bedroom color.  At all.  So everything keeps sitting at the same color that neither one of us especially cares for.  Plus, we added a French door to the back bedroom wall about TWO years ago.  So all the added drywall around it is unpainted and ugly...because we're still in limbo on the paint color we want for the whole room (sigh).

@kimmiinthemitten, I hope everything works out and you all are able to get Izzy!

I'm hoping M's luck and all the other good job vibes going on rubs off on H.  His recruiter is meeting with the client today.  H expects to hear something tomorrow, but it could be today.  As far as we know, there are two other candidates in the running.  But H's experience and background matches up really well with the job.  So I'm hoping the other candidates' resumes are substandard compares to H's >:) .

I was excited yesterday.  I have a huge 'cc bill for windows that was 6 months same as cash.  BUT, if it isn't paid off in 6 months, they add ALL the interest back on.  So I need to pay it off by May 26th.  I thought I was going to have to dip into my Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) to do that, but I was crunching my numbers again yesterday, and I'll be able to cash flow it without having to dip into the HELOC.  Because that HELOC balance does NOT need to be any higher than it already is, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2017
    Afternoon all!

All the positive job vibes for those who need them.

I can relate, @atomicblonde. I've been in "I hate my job" mode for the last few days. I don't know if I'm just premenstrual, in need of a change, or having a full-on existential crisis. I work in social services, and no matter what we do, people still fuck up their lives and resent us for trying to help clean it up. What are we really accomplishing?

ETA: It's not like I don't have evidence that people can change; I see it in my 12-Step program all the time. But it seems sometimes like most people (including some I work with!) are content to go mindlessly through their lives, not caring that Trump could get his tiny hands on the nuclear codes or that humans could be caught in the next mass extinction. 

You all keep me reasonably sane, or at least able to pretend to be sane.

I was just about to suggest this. Even though I know how paint works, I'm always amazed at how colors actually look on the walls and in different lights (sun and artificial). It's kept us from painting our house yellow before (taupe/beige my ass). 

Today I am running errands and going to the gym and chiropractor. I'm visiting my apartment for the first time in forever so hopefully it still looks okay. Lol. I really should give it a quick clean. It was getting kind of dusty last time. Other than that, SSDD. 

• The same thing happened to me with the paint.  It was just one accent wall and I just learned to love it (or live with it?).  But yeah, it was WAY different from the store sample to home.

I am trying to enroll in a paintnite for DH and I, but through groupon codes and they say it has as zero value so I emailed paintnite and was like "umm.....are we registered?  this thing is tonight!" 

• @sparklepants41  actually Bunny Grey is on the ones I was seeing on Pinterest. Haven't checked out specific brands, but there's Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams near me that I'll likely check. Love your living room!

@short+sassy  thank you :) and we're kinda at the same impasse. M doesn't want grey because he feels it's "too cold and flat" but every time I show him grey walls, stark white trim and dark flooring he likes it {because our flooring is dark} So we'll see. I keep showing him super light {like @sparklepants41 is showing} and he's somewhat caving ;)
    It's so hard to compromise when you really don't want to lmao!

• @short+sassy  thank you :) and we're kinda at the same impasse. M doesn't want grey because he feels it's "too cold and flat" but every time I show him grey walls, stark white trim and dark flooring he likes it {because our flooring is dark} So we'll see. I keep showing him super light {like @sparklepants41 is showing} and he's somewhat caving ;)

This is so simple to resolve.  Pull pics that you think he would like and wouldn't like.  Put them in stand alone Pinterest board.  Make sure the pics you think he would like are what you actually want.  Ask him to pick out the ones he's likes best, and voila!  He's picked out what you want and thinks it's his own idea.

I definitely did this with like half of the shit in our house. "Look at these comforters! Look at these rugs!" Little did he know I'd spent hours combing through thousands of them to pull the fifty I'd be okay with. 

• @short+sassy  thank you :) and we're kinda at the same impasse. M doesn't want grey because he feels it's "too cold and flat" but every time I show him grey walls, stark white trim and dark flooring he likes it {because our flooring is dark} So we'll see. I keep showing him super light {like @sparklepants41 is showing} and he's somewhat caving ;)

This is so simple to resolve.  Pull pics that you think he would like and wouldn't like.  Put them in stand alone Pinterest board.  Make sure the pics you think he would like are what you actually want.  Ask him to pick out the ones he's likes best, and voila!  He's picked out what you want and thinks it's his own idea.

This is a great idea! Also M doesn't entirely care about paint colours ... he just doesn't want it to be "cold and flat" {he has zero knowledge of finishes also fyi}

Help me sell light grey without it being cold!

Fyi this is the kinda grey I'm thinking - our floors are similar and I love our stark white trim also.

• @CharmedPam the lady we're buying our house from goes to a lot of those paint things. She has 8 in the entry hall and at least 30 on a shelf in the garage.

@MissKittyDanger the floors and decorations warm it up. My H felt the same until he saw how the colors from our art jump out at you.
  • @DrillSergeantCat  I used this photo to show M what I was hoping for. Our furniture is pretty dark with pops of turquoise {like Tiffany's blue} to brighten it up.
  • @MissKittyDanger that strikes me as more of a "greige" than pure grey. The beige adds some warmth that your H might be looking for. 

^^^This. I was going to recommend the same. The blue-grey that we picked for our Philly home (hallways) ended up looking purple. At that point it was too late (we had bought all of the paint), so we just let it go. 

I think the samples are $3-5 and it's worth it, especially if you really want a specific tone. We did this for our remodel last year, and it was well worth the money because the swatches really don't show the significant undertones in the color - especially when you're shooting for something neutral/pure. I wanted an ultra dark grey for our master bath (just shy of black) - and I think I sampled 5 or 6 colors before i found the shade i wanted. We sampled 3 in the living room/kitchen because that color was going to be 30-40%  of downstairs and we wanted to make sure it was pretty, and not too dark, and would look good with the granite. 

FTR, we had them repaint the cabinets a light grey. They were stark white (grrr for painting over wood) 

this was in progress:
    Jess Kluczniks portrait

Jess Kluczniks portrait
    Jess Klucznik's portrait.