Chit Chat
Options

Should I remove the sleeves from my wedding gown?

I really love my wedding gown. I just don’t like the sleeves. Could a seamstress remove them and make straps and possibly make the front a v neck? My mom and sister love the dress the way it is, but I just don’t like the sleeves. Plus the sleeves and chest are really itchy! Does anyone have any advice and/or a picture of a similar alteration? Thanks!!

Re: Should I remove the sleeves from my wedding gown?

• Options
    I would think that a seamstress could remove the sleeves to make it sleeveless but I would get rid of the neckline. DD had an illusion neckline with lace trim that had similar lines as your neckline. Her dress was sleeveless. I think it would look odd to have a V neck but I'm not a fashion expert LOL!
  • Options
    I agree with @ILoveBeachMusic. If you wanted to shorten them to something capped or similar, that could be a good compromise.
  • Options

Buy a different dress if you don't like this one. The high neck and sleeves are the feature of the dress. Altering it to be a v neck will be difficult with the lace and probably won't look good. 

Bear in mind that if the lace is itchy now when you try it on, it's going to be really itchy all day. It's a gorgeous dress, but if it's not going to work for you as it is, you're better off with a different one. 
  • Options
    The bodice of my dress was similar to what it sounds like you're trying to do. It basically looked like a lace illusion neckline over a strapless dress - sleeveless with a v-neck down to the "strapless" bodice. But, it was made that way. So the lace was laid down and sewn in a v shape. The v shape wasn't cut into the lace, which is how I imagine the seamstress would have to do it with this dress unless she removed the lace and made an entirely new illusion neckline, which would be expensive. 

I agree with starmoon. I am curious why you purchased a dress that you dislike? A quick Google search of "sleeveless lace wedding dress" is giving me lots of results at every price point that look similar to this dress with the alterations you want. 

It's a bit late for this for you now, but for reference for other brides, if you find a dress you want to make changes to, it's a good idea to talk to a seamstress before purchasing to find out how feasible and how expensive the alterations would be to make it how you want it. 
  • Options
    If the seamstress takes off the sleeves, she'll have some lace applique to work with to create a nice lace edge along a v-neckline. You've got a lot of that scallop that the neckline is edged with in the sleeves.
  • Options

geebee908 said:

If the seamstress takes off the sleeves, she'll have some lace applique to work with to create a nice lace edge along a v-neckline. You've got a lot of that scallop that the neckline is edged with in the sleeves.

But that will be a lot of work and therefore very expensive.

My mom made my dress, and it's very similar to your sleeveless option - boatneck illusion neckline with the lace, no sleeves. My mom had to cut the lace apart and resew it onto a backing in pieces to make the pattern work in the right places. She has also turned a boatneck dress (not my wedding dress) into a v-neck for me, and to get it to look right (even without moving lace parts) is difficult. That was also a lot of work. Best to get a new dress that is designed the way you actually want it, or you're going to pay a lot of money to revamp this one.
  • Options
    This would be a major change to your dress.  I would discourage it.  Is it too late to find another dress?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    If I'm seeing the pictures correctly, it looks like there's already a seam at the top of the sleeve which would make removing the sleeves not that huge of a deal. What i wouldn't do would be trying to manipulate the shape to make straps or a v-neck. Making straps would affect the way the back looks also. I'd say bring it to a seamstress, tell them you don't like the sleeves and see what suggestions they offer. A professional should be able to give you reasonable advice.