Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday!

It's 10AM and I crushed my lunch an hour ago... including my morning and afternoon snacks.  All that's left is a small wedge of goat cheese.... 

DH and I have decided on a mattress (yay!), and now the quarrel has moved on to bed frames, which was at first exciting, but has now gotten to the point where I'm ready to say "Eff it all, we'll just continue to sleep on the floor."  We have always been so far apart on what we want out of our furniture, I'm not sure we'll ever reach a middle ground.  Exaggerating a little, I think, but neither of us have been able to find something that isn't immediately a "No" from the other party.  Also, he showed me this really ugly area rug this morning and I thought he was joking, especially since it was $250.  Apparently, I hurt his feelings, and now I feel terrible.

Also, the goat cheese is now gone.  And I'm still hungry.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
--Philip Pullman

Re: Thursday!

• Options

It's 10AM and I crushed my lunch an hour ago... including my morning and afternoon snacks.  All that's left is a small wedge of goat cheese.... 

DH and I have decided on a mattress (yay!), and now the quarrel has moved on to bed frames, which was at first exciting, but has now gotten to the point where I'm ready to say "Eff it all, we'll just continue to sleep on the floor."  We have always been so far apart on what we want out of our furniture, I'm not sure we'll ever reach a middle ground.  Exaggerating a little, I think, but neither of us have been able to find something that isn't immediately a "No" from the other party.  Also, he showed me this really ugly area rug this morning and I thought he was joking, especially since it was $250.  Apparently, I hurt his feelings, and now I feel terrible.

I lived 36 years of my life with  a horrible bed frame.  And bad mattress.  Oh, and hand me down dressers.  When I moved I was going to put money into a whole new bedroom set.  And I did.  And I spend 90% of my time in there and it was 100% worth it!  Get yourself a GOOD bedframe!!! :)

I paid for all of our Ireland excursions yesterday and our Guinness tour was rejected this morning.  So annoying since everything else was confirmed and booked and it was hard to move things around at this point.  I put in a request for another day so I'm waiting confirmation.  I hate Guinness so this isn't really bothering me that much, but it's DH's favorite beer and something he's looking forward to.  I also think $54.47 for a 1 hour and 15 minute tour/testing is ridiculous, but who knows when we'll be in Ireland next?  

• Options
    @atomicblonde  Treat y0 self .... go get lunch/food Yay on settling on mattress though!
    I guess I'm lucky M's style is more like mine and mostly doesn't care unless he really doesn't like it.

So last night we chatted - see Wednesday for reference - and I think we're pretty on top of stuff.
    M is going thru rough budget on stuff, and we're pretty content on where we are, despite the debt. That'll get dealt with. Pay down line of credit more, then we can put more credit card on to it - line of credit has lower interest rate.

M's dad was finally able to come over last night and see our place. It's cute how M still does things to impress his dad, and he totally knows M is doing it too :)
    While showing his dad the guns he owns, M took apart one just to put it together.

M's dad: you don't have to take it apart
    M: I wanna show you something
    Me: translation, he wants to impress you
    M's dad: *looks at me and nods with a grin*

Also I think M is starting to realize his dad's health. He had knee surgery, and now they're keeping an eye on his heart. A lot is weight related issues. M's dad is a bigger guy and M is never gonna be skinny but I'm hoping M sees his dad's health, then realizes if he isn't careful that could be him.
    It's weird his dad has a lot of similar personality things to my grampa - in good ways.

Really need to not stay up so late lol! I've been up late most of this week and I'm just starting to catch up on the sleep I missed due to stress. Not helping at all.

Tonight is finishing up grocery list and tidying. I have soooo much laundry for the dark load it's crazy. I'm gonna have to split it :(
  • Options
    side note: I have now heard of two deaths within 12hrs :(

One was a girl slightly older than me who lost her mum. Apparently diagnosed with lung cancer at end of March. Chemo didn't work and it spread fast. She was in hospice for less than a week :(

Other was M's stepdad's aunt. She was older and I'm not sure all the details, but still. Met her only once at our wedding and she was a lovely lady :(
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

One was a girl slightly older than me who lost her mum. Apparently diagnosed with lung cancer at end of March. Chemo didn't work and it spread fast. She was in hospice for less than a week :(

Other was M's stepdad's aunt. She was older and I'm not sure all the details, but still. Met her only once at our wedding and she was a lovely lady :(

So sorry to hear that @Misskittydanger.  :(  Thoughts are with you and of course them.

edit words

• Options

So sorry to hear that @Misskittydanger.  :(  Thoughts are with you and of course them.

edit words

The girl who lost her mum, I know her {not well enough to go to a funeral} but I msg'd a good friend of mine who I know she is close to in order to find out the situation and see if she's okay.
    I was able to help out with how much she should help out since my dad passed, so I'm glad I was able to help out in a small way.
  • Options
    I'm sorry about the losses @MissKittyDanger

SO and I have two bed sets from Living Spaces. They're not the Pottery Barn ones I wanted, but then again my budget is not Pottery Barn either. I got a decent mattress, two night stands, long dresser and bed frame for $1800. 

Today I am getting back into the homework groove. I hope class turns out to be more in depth than it was last night, because last night was a joke. I'll definitely be teaching myself this content...again. Oh well. It's my career and license, plus people's lives, so it's worth the time and effort. 

I was so excited to sleep in this morning after going to bed at 5 am yesterday and waking up at 7:30, and then my friend called me today at seven because of a work thing she was going through. And, just...I'm so tired. Lol. 

• Options

@atomicblonde, I'm really hungry today also.  I'm contemplating heating up "second breakfast".  Though, "first breakfast", was lighter than I usually go.  Just cheese and crackers.

We ended up not going to the Mexican restaurant last night that we'd been planning to.  H wasn't feeling up to it, so it is rescheduled for next Wed.  But he made it up to me by marinating and cooking pork chops.  They came out really yummy.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help my margarita and guacamole withdrawal, lol.

Things are really picking up at work!  I am so thankful.  It will be another semi-busy day.

I'm working on a special project for the big boss.  In a nutshell, it involves comparing two lists of "descriptions".  He knows I'm not going to be able to do it perfectly, especially since I'm not an engineer and may not know that the "gadget" on this list is the same as the "widget" on the other list.  But he's hoping I can correctly match up the bulk of it and then we are meeting on Monday to go over the lists.  I'm hoping to impress him with my instincts, thought process, and basic knowledge of many of the items.  But he's a tough guy to impress!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Last night was M2's first night at the new gymnastics place.  We'd just been doing rec places because they were cheap and convenient, but she outgrew the first and the second won't work next school year (and she's outgrowing it).  Anyway, I asked what level she should start when we signed up. They said to try intermediate and if she's not ready, the beginner is at the same time she could just switch with no problem.  After last night's class the coach stopped me and said she really needs to be in the advanced class!

DH asked me when gymnastics gets competitive. I said "when someone pulls me aside and says she's good."   I kinda hope that doesn't happen, but I'm not holding my breath. 

THIS Is how you end up with kids doing crap every night.  She loves it and I love watching her.  This is the first and last time 6let will do 3 sports.  Next year will be soccer and lacrosse.  BUT when you play club soccer you practice at least 2 nights a week and have 6 games and 2 tournaments.  Sometimes I wish they sucked, but they don't. 

Oh and I have my first PTO meeting tonight.  WHYYYYYY  did I do this.
  • Options

mrsconn23 said:

We bought the kiddo's bed frame from overstock.com and are very happy with it.  It was easy to put together (I did suffer a blood blister, but my finger was in the way.  ;) ) There are so many options and price points.  Shipping is typically free and they do run coupons (I think I got 15% off or something).  They also have easy review sorting (I always check the 1 star reviews first to see what the issues are, because sometimes it's people just being idiots). 

Tonight is DefConn's first ever school performance and I cannot wait. 

Conversation about attire:

Me: "DefConn, Do you want to wear your plaid shirt for your performance this week?"

DefConn: "I want to wear my tie!"

Me: "Ok, you can wear your black shirt."

DefConn: "I'm going to be spanking hot. Oh. My. Gosh."

He's a nut. 

Before that, we have the business I mentioned yesterday to sort out. 

Other than that, SSDD. 

LOL Defconn!  Also, the bolded is me with every review, ever.  "I hate this puzzle because my kid never plays with it, though it seems nice."  Really?  That merits one star? 

I'm slogging through proofing like a 5th draft of something (maybe 4th), and I have zero fucks left.  But I'm paranoid that if I don't go over it with a fine tooth comb, something will be glaringly wrong and it will be my fault for not catching it.  At this point, it's just engineering's review, but our new designer is crap so I feel like I have to double check the rest of it, too.  I miss the old designer:  when I gave her edits, I knew they would be addressed 100% and she wouldn't mess up something else in the process.  Sigh.

Other than that, SOSO.  Muffins at preschool with DS tomorrow.  Back to the gym today, now that I'm back on the wagon. :)
  • Options
    @mrsconn23  spanking hot omg :')
  • Options
    I'm painting the ceiling today. And I'm pretty sure the color isn't going to work. I put the first coat on and I'm going to hope for the best. I'm cranky about the job stuff so maybe I'm taking it out on the paint color. 

Next project is ripping up the ugly flooring. 

This is my hallway. 

• Options
    @charlotte989875  your walls are similar colour to mine.
  • Options
    Hi strangers.

Life is good.  Day after I finished work I started my coast-to-coast vacation.  It was fun, but exhausting.   The first week was with my aunt, cousin and his "adopted" son "A".   Not actually adopted.  A is 18 and has lived with him for less than a year, but cousin has been his guardian for 2 years.

Anyway, this kid has a tough life. Grew up on the streets of Newark NJ.  One day he walked into my cousin private school and the school took him in (school and A's story was featured on 60 minutes last year).   Other than water polo tournaments he really hasn't traveled outside of Newark.  

Well it was so fun to see things through his eyes.   He had  never seen cows in a meadow before, the large mountains, etc.  He was blown away by all the stars you could see from my deck.  I pointed out the big dipper.  He admitted he thought it was all made up until he saw in in person.  No wonder, with all the light pollution and tall buildings you can barely see stars.

I took him on a hike to see the Delicate Arch in UT.  He was fighting going (some what difficult hike (steep) that has a drop off).  I took his hand and asked him to trust me (granted he just met me 24 hours before).  He loved it once we got there.  Hiked down like it was nothing.  Later that day we went on a 4x4 tour.  Up these big slick rocks with big drop offs.  Again, he was scared, but enjoyed the trip in the end.     Next day we went to the Grand Canyon. He loved it.   Was blown away at the beauty.   That night they had an astronomy tour.  He was in heaven learning about constellations.  Thought it was the coolest thing.    Then we went to L.A. where he finally got to see a beach.

He came from the trip having new thoughts on life.  He saw other parts of the country (okay, some parts were pretty boring with lots just land with nothing else), but it so fun to see it through his eyes.

My second trip was our "PR" trip to see family.  DH's family is weird, but they were much better than other times we have visited.  In years past they have blown off dinner to go to yoga or something equally dump (his brother has gone to the movies).   The issue is they complain we don't come home enough.  DH's SIL said "well, we don't come to you because the flights are expensive".   Like the flights for us are cheap or something.   DH didn't hold back.  He was like "umm, yeah.  We know the costs.  We spend our time and money to come to you only to be blown off for yoga or something equally as stupid.  That is why I don't like coming back home.  You don't bother to make time for me."   They took it to heart and  this time we spent 2 nights together as a family. We had a great time, laughing till we cried looking at old photo albums.  Oh those 70's styles - lol.

Then we went to my parents. $40 something dollars in fucking tolls to drive the 5 hours to see them.  WTF?   Then add in traffic, ugh.  I hate driving around there.  Anyway,  my sister and brother/sil came down to see us too (3-5 hour trip for them).   Mom's surgery went well.  She is recovering well.  Dad is starting to look "old".  Granted he is 72, but he was a "young" 72.  Where my mom is an "old" 71 year old.    Sad to see parents getting older.

We are back home.   I started the summer job on Monday.  Starting off only working a few days a week for now, will pick up in 2 weeks.  I've been walking 4+ miles a day for a while.  2 days I started to add a little jogging to the route (maybe a little over a mile).  Now my left knee is constantly hurting.  Use to hurt only when I squatted down).  

DH flies to FL on Monday to interview/tasting for that job down there.  His BF is there now doing his tasting.   Hopefully we will know something soon about that job.

Sorry for the novel.   Hope all is well with everyone.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @lyndausvi, loved the novel!  It's good to hear from you and it sounds like the trip was amazing.  What an especially neat experience for your cousin's "adopted" son.  The U.S. is such a big country and different areas are very different from each other, both in how they look and the culture.  I love to see people having their minds expanded by new perceptions.  I always joke about what a great opportunity it was to move from So. CA to NOLA.  Because it was like moving to a foreign country, but without the red tape.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@lyndausvi, loved the novel!  It's good to hear from you and it sounds like the trip was amazing.  What an especially neat experience for your cousin's "adopted" son.  The U.S. is such a big country and different areas are very different from each other, both in how they look and the culture.  I love to see people having their minds expanded by new perceptions.  I always joke about what a great opportunity it was to move from So. CA to NOLA.  Because it was like moving to a foreign country, but without the red tape.

I'm been fortunate to live in many parts of the country (and territory).  NOLA is like foreign country - lol.  

Not only is my cousin a dean of students for a Catholic boys school with mostly under privileged kids, he is an EMT on the weekends.    We were driving from Moab to the Grand Canyon.  There is NOTHING for miles and miles (the trip was over 5 hours).  You will see a random home in the middle of a field miles and miles from anything   He kept saying "what happens in an emergency? it will take an ambulance 30 minutes just to drive to a location."  

And a lot of the time we had no cell service.    It make my little 6000 person town seem big and metropolitan.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    The inspection on H's house is at 2:30 and I'm making good on my promise to sit in my car across the street to be sure crazy neighbor doesn't go over and bother the new buyers. Inspection on our new home is at 4:30. I'm not expecting anything serious there. 

Hopefully H will hear back from his insurance company today about the roof because we need to get that done. 

I'm working until noon (one more hour) before going home to mow, edge, weed eat, and roundup the yard. Also, going to try to clean (aka throw unneeded shit in boxes) so the realtor can come take pictures and get the house listed. Fortunately, I did a lot of stuff a couple weeks ago before the first buyer on H's house backed out.

We went over to H's house last night to make sure the AC and sprinkler system was working (they said in the inspection they weren't) and the AC came right on and the sprinklers were just unplugged. IDK what the inspectors problem was.

Mouse is so congested that he has snot coming out of his eyes and, other than sucking out his nose, there's nothing I can do for him.
  • Options

The inspection on H's house is at 2:30 and I'm making good on my promise to sit in my car across the street to be sure crazy neighbor doesn't go over and bother the new buyers. Inspection on our new home is at 4:30. I'm not expecting anything serious there. 

Hopefully H will hear back from his insurance company today about the roof because we need to get that done. 

I'm working until noon (one more hour) before going home to mow, edge, weed eat, and roundup the yard. Also, going to try to clean (aka throw unneeded shit in boxes) so the realtor can come take pictures and get the house listed. Fortunately, I did a lot of stuff a couple weeks ago before the first buyer on H's house backed out.

We went over to H's house last night to make sure the AC and sprinkler system was working (they said in the inspection they weren't) and the AC came right on and the sprinklers were just unplugged. IDK what the inspectors problem was.

Mouse is so congested that he has snot coming out of his eyes and, other than sucking out his nose, there's nothing I can do for him.

Good call.  Sucks it was brought to something like that.

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

My H and I are also soooooo far apart on the furniture and decor scale. When I first went to  his house and thought it was full of hand me down furniture from his grandma who had died the year before. Nope, it was all purchased on purpose and he spent a ton of money on it. Because of the financial investment there is no changing it (in his eyes) and while I hate most of it I have learned to live with it because it isn't worth the fight. 
  • Options

kvruns said:

My H and I are also soooooo far apart on the furniture and decor scale. When I first went to  his house and thought it was full of hand me down furniture from his grandma who had died the year before. Nope, it was all purchased on purpose and he spent a ton of money on it. Because of the financial investment there is no changing it (in his eyes) and while I hate most of it I have learned to live with it because it isn't worth the fight. 

SO kept buying shitty furniture that I loathed.  It was a little trying to say the least.  When we moved into the house I did the whole, "here are some options for X" with things that I had already combed through and liked.  That helped with making things manageable.  

• Options
    :waves hi:

Aunt Flo is in town, so I was really tempted to respond to @6fsn's thread with "all the potato chips." Seriously, those are some good ideas in that thread. I need to restock my snack drawer at work.

Pretty much SSDD here. Work is still relatively calm. Housemate is waiting to hear about her theatre scholarship, so she's on pins and needles. She's taking two dance classes this summer, but if she gets the scholarship, she can afford to sign up for more.

FW is done with finals and is taking two summer classes: a math class and an online philosophy and critical thinking class. 

Meditation meeting tonight. I've missed the last two weeks, and we're back at our usual location, so I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi  wow novel! Love that he got to experience it and that he obviously trusted you enough to take him to those places safely :) {even though I'm sure that was just the wording he needed to go ;) } It sounds like beautiful areas you visited.

Family is frustrating. Also starting to see family members as 'old' isn't easy regardless how old they are. My nana is '89' and I still don't view her as 'old' lol
  • Options
    @DrillSergeantCat  hopefully crazypants stays inside and doesn't cause issues!
  • Options

@DrillSergeantCat, if it's already hot enough for a/c where you live, if you get there before the buyers, I'd turn it on so the house is hopefully already at a comfortable temperature for when they arrive.

I always do that for my rental showings.  I realize this isn't a showing but, since you'll be across the street anyway (good call on that!), it's still that positive feeling everyone has when they walk into an A/C'ed building after being out in the heat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @lyndausvi, good to hear from you! Your story about cousin's son brought tears to my eyes. So many of us don't really appreciate all the wonderful experiences we have.

Not much new here. I made a big mistake joining some friends at a trunk show this afternoon- spent too much money. Oh well! Doing leftovers tonight with beef tenderloin (leftover from Saturday's party), not sure what else though.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options

@lyndausvi, good to hear from you! Your story about cousin's son brought tears to my eyes. So many of us don't really appreciate all the wonderful experiences we have.

Not much new here. I made a big mistake joining some friends at a trunk show this afternoon- spent too much money. Oh well! Doing leftovers tonight with beef tenderloin (leftover from Saturday's party), not sure what else though.

It was really fun to watch him.  

While hiking up to Delicate Arch we passed a family or school group. There was about 20 of them. From their clothes it looked like they might be in FLDS-type religion.  Young girls carrying even younger kids.    "A" was so funny.  They were walked on the edge side while he was so scared he was holding onto the wall.   The attire threw him off.  Plus, the hike is rate difficult (although I didn't think so), he couldn't believe these 10-12 year girls hiked up holding infants/toddlers on their hips.

here is a stock picture of the ledge:

• Options
  • Options

WTH?

What was in the box?
  • Options

WTH?

What was in the box?

I think it's more, "who was deleted?"