Wedding Woes
Options

My First Awkward Bean Dip Moment

Friend: "Ro is having a lot of good food at her wedding."
Random Person: "Ohh, that sounds great.  Friend, let me go as your date."
Friend: "Yeah!  Come as my date and we can hang out all night!"
Me: "Lol.  We aren't giving a plus one to everyone, but invites don't go out for another 4 months, so nothing is set in stone.  Have you tried this bean dip?"

Damn.  I don't know if I will be able to do this for another 6 months!

Re: My First Awkward Bean Dip Moment

• Options
    You handled it well. But you really don't have to say anything at all. As long as you don't promise anything, you can just send out invites without plus ones and let the friend figure it out. 

My old boss said to me "oh you're getting married? I can't wait, I love weddings!" I just said "heh heh. (bean dip topic)" I did not invite her.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I think every wedding requires one "invite me!" bean dip convo. You did well :)

I laughed awkwardly and kinda walked away. That's my social awkwardness at it's best :')
  • Options

I think this kind of thing is often just a way for someone to say something positive and enthusiastic about a person's wedding.  Or make conversation.  They're speaking without thinking about that this is potentially awkward.

I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time invites roll around, neither your friend nor the random person will even remember this conversation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    8 months later and I'm still irritated at the people that showed up who weren't invited or who didn't show up who said they were coming. Both of H's mom's guests RSVPd for themselves and spouses, then the spouses didn't show up but the kids (who weren't invited) did. And a friend of mine RSVPd for her entire family of 6 and then her husband and two of her kids didn't show.

For clarification - I did invite my friend's kids and I would have invited the other guests kids as well had I known they had them.