Wedding Reception Forum

Lantern Release. Yay or Nay?

My fiancé and I would like to do a lantern release at the beach with our guests where we are getting married,. Our resort said it was fine as long as we were as close to the shoreline as possible, to keep from the lanterns blowing back towards the hotels. 
Our ceremony is right at sunset.
when would be the best time to do it?
Right after ceremony? After dinner?
Any recommendations for brands or types to use?
Any tips are appreciated if you have ever done this as well!

Re: Lantern Release. Yay or Nay?

• Big Nay from me too. For exactly the reasons listed above. 
  • I think this is a really bad idea.  If I were a guest, I would decline to participate.  Environmental concerns.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    The bubbles we used at daughter's wedding were harmless, and they made pretty photos.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Glad you are re-thinking lanterns.

Bubbles and sparklers can make for some cool pictures.
  • So glad you are nixing the lanterns. I really wish they weren't even a thing. So awful for the environment. Pretty, sure. But just glowing, floating garbage. 

Alternative send-off ideas:
    - sparklers
    - bubbles
    - ribbon dancer things (can't think of what they're called)
    - glow sticks
    - pinwheels

If you're looking for impact, you could ask the hotel if you could contract a company to set off fireworks. That would be a hell of an end-of-the-night send off.
    *********************************************************************************

• Yay, thank you for reconsidering!! Any of the ideas listed above are great alternatives. Sparkler pictures are usually awesome, but really depending on the venue and the rest of your decor, any of those would be really cute :) 
  • edited October 2017
    I agree, sparklers are a lot safer than lanterns and very inexpensive! :) (removed for TOS violation). Bubbles would also be a great option, and are also great in photographs!
    You’ve done this at least twice. Knock it off.

@KnotRiley, vendor.