Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How far is too far?

I've fallen in love with a venue that is perfect for our budget, but I'm concerned it is too far. The venue is 1 hour and 22 minutes from where 90% of where our guests live and i have been told that we can count on a lot of people not showing. Even though there are hotels near by and we would provide a shuttle for over night guests. The ceremony and Reception would both be on the same grounds! Is it unreasonable to ask our guests to drive an hour and 22 minutes or stay the night? Thank you!

Re: How far is too far?

• Options
    We are paying for the entire wedding ourselves.....its a rustic farm/barn and being from the city all the places we've looked at are over an hour away unless we have your run of the mill average "hall" wedding. It includes use of the barn, a beautiful farm house to get ready in and the grounds are perfect for photos and ceremony. Tables and chairs are also provided. The hotels that are near by are fairly in expensive running about $70 a night because it is in the middle of no where.
  • Options

We are paying for the entire wedding ourselves.....its a rustic farm/barn and being from the city all the places we've looked at are over an hour away unless we have your run of the mill average "hall" wedding. It includes use of the barn, a beautiful farm house to get ready in and the grounds are perfect for photos and ceremony. Tables and chairs are also provided. The hotels that are near by are fairly in expensive running about $70 a night because it is in the middle of no where.

Is there easy transportation between the city and the venue? What about the hotels to and from the barn? Even if hotels are cheap there are other costs you're guests are going to be concerned about. Middle of nowhere venues might have beautiful pictures, but logistically they can be a nightmare for your guests. 
  • Options
    I think it's a bit far. I'd go, and plan to drive home, and I wouldn't think it was a terrible plan or anything, but I would think it's a bit far. 
  • Options
    Driving an hour and a half both ways to go to a barn in the middle of nowhere that has no connection to the bride and groom (not hometown, etc) other than pretty pictures? No thanks.
  • Options
    If you're doing a barn venue solely for the aesthetic value, please understand that you will likely encounter unforeseen hurdles associated with your venue atypical to urban/suburban venues. On that same note, no picture or memory with beautiful scenery and annoyed/tired/etc crowds outweighs a picture/memory with elated/comfortable/attended to guests in a differently beautiful backdrop. 

If you are doing a barn wedding because it better represents you two and takes precedence, something else has to go lower on the list. If that is your guest count, you have to acknowledge and accept it should you choose to stick with your venue. 
  • Options
    Is this a real barn or a barn that was renovated specifically for special events like weddings?

What time of year will your wedding be?  What region of the country are you in and what is the weather typically like in your area at the that time of year?

Does the barn have AC/heat?  What happens if it's supposed to rain?

Who is going to be catering this event?  Would your caterers have to be making the 3hr roundtrip drive for your reception too?  How about your photographer, Officiant, etc?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

lyndausvi said:

Meh, I won't lie, I've attended a wedding like that before. I was quite annoying. Too close for most to get a hotel, too far to drink (not going to lie, I like to drink at weddings).     I ended up getting a hotel, but wasn't thrilled.     

That said, I think it's more the location.  I've also attended a wedding 1.5 hours away where I wasn't annoyed attending.  It was a resort beach town, spent the whole weekend there.  The bride was from there, so it wasn't 90% of the family. I also spent most summers there, so I didn't think twice about it.   

Funny how the same amount of time has totally different reactions.

Talk to your VIPs, make your choice and DO NOT get upset if your get declines. Invitations are not summons.  They might attend, they might not.

**** my wedding was about 2 hours from where most of my extended family lived, 5 hours from most of DH's site, with about a 3rd coming from around the world (we also had to fly to the location). This was also a beach resort town.  I had a great turn out from my family (about 77 of them).  Actually, much bigger than I thought.  I had some cousins who do not attend local weddings who attended my OOT wedding.  They made a weekend out of it. Sometimes it's hard to predict what guests are going to do.

For some reason I can't bold, but I think @lyndausvi hit the nail on the head by saying, "Funny how the same amount of time has totally different reactions."

Totally agree.  If I have to drive 90 minutes one-way to a wedding, because that is where the couple lives.  Even if myself and most of their guests live further away, I'm cool with that.  Because a location close to where they live makes sense.  Or if I live in the same town as the couple, but most of their guests live 90 minutes away and they have a venue close to the majority of the guests.  That also makes sense and I wouldn't have an issue with it.

However, if myself, the couple, and most of the guests live in City A.  But they are having the venue in City B, 90 minutes away.  I would be annoyed by that.  I'd know perfectly well they aren't doing anything wrong, etiquette-wise, and I can always choose not to go.  But, I can't help it, I'd still side-eye it a little.

With all that said, for practical purposes, the "reason" for having to drive 90 minutes for a wedding wouldn't have any bearing on whether I would go or not.  However, to drive 3 hours total for a wedding, it would have to be a really good friend or family member.  I probably wouldn't do that for a casual friend or coworker.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oooh...driving 90 minutes to the middle of nowhere, I'd probably skip. But it depends on your crowd! I have a few friends who are FROM the middle of nowhere and everywhere they want to go is a pretty decent drive so they wouldn't think anything of it. One of them had a wedding that was spread across a few middle of nowhere destinations and none of them complained.

Currently, I live in a pretty good-sized city and an acquaintance recently got married a little over an hour out of town, because it was a lot less expensive. The issue was that the only hotels around KNEW they were the only ones, and rooms were more expensive for her guests, plus there were fewer options. Guests also couldn't easily catch a cab or Lyft home if they drank more than they planned, etc. She also paid more for her hair & MUA because they had to travel to a city they don't normally work in (slim pickings in the city the wedding was held).

I *would* drive that far for a super awesome location, if it was where the couple lived, if it was an area I had been to before, etc. But probably not for a barn with no connection to the couple. I love PPs' suggestion about taking engagement pics there! Maybe also price out the TOTAL cost of the wedding having it in the barn vs. closer to town; it may surprise you.
  • Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    I'm in 2 minds. Firstly, if it was a destination/resort town, I would be much more excited. For example, if it was wine country, seaside or a cute countryside town, we'd go make a weekend of it. I'd also want the hotel to be right there so I wouldn't have to get a taxi. 

But if it's literally just a barn and that's it, I'd find it annoying. 
  • Options

I'm in 2 minds. Firstly, if it was a destination/resort town, I would be much more excited. For example, if it was wine country, seaside or a cute countryside town, we'd go make a weekend of it. I'd also want the hotel to be right there so I wouldn't have to get a taxi. 

This. @climbingwife I think your situation is still a little different because you had your wedding at a resort. I would have loved it because upstate is beautiful and there are a ton of great hikes we could have done. But a barn in the middle of nowhere? I'd be a little irritated having to get a hotel for that when there's nothing else to do in the area. 

• Options
    kahluakoalakahluakoala member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2017

I think this is pretty similar to what @climbingwife was referring to. Like I just attended a wedding that was a little over an hour drive because we have a prominent wine country a little over an hour away. Of my friends that attended, some stayed two nights, but almost all of them (including myself) stayed at least one, because it was nice. I only know of one guest who commuted and it was because they had a young child and wanted to relieve the babysitter. 

A random barn in the middle of nowhere? It better be cheap to stay there or I'm probably skipping your wedding TBH

Edit: All your guests live 1 hour and 22 minutes away? Do all your guests live together in one giant house? This is so strangely specific to me. I can't imagine all of my family, friends, and FI's family and friends living in 1 small bubble. It's so crazy to me!
  • Options
    Our venue was about the same time distance as yours. Our ceremony and reception were at the same place and there was on-site lodging available too. There were also a ton of other nearby hotels that were also very inexpensive because the location was so far out of the city-- our venues sound very similar! Many of our guests attended and stayed the night. As far as I know, there were no complaints about the distance. We had a wedding website and it said on the directions page that it was about an hour and 10 min drive.

Where I (and most of my guests) live, traditional wedding venues are often not very close to hotels. It's not uncommon for someone to have the ceremony in their hometown, followed by the reception 30-45 mins away, with the closest hotel option another 30 mins away. I personally prefer parking in one location and not having to worry about driving to the next thing. DH and I fell in love with our venue not only because of the rural feel but because we wanted our guests to be able to get away for the night and party.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Ditto to the know your crowd statements. Very common in my family/circle to travel and stay the night at a wedding (with no complaints). Specifically because I'm from a large city; the wedding/reception could be in the same city, but easily an hour away. As long as transportation is provided and hotels are relatively inexpensive I think you're good! 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    Ditto PP that said that what I'm driving to would alter my feeling about a 90min drive.  By me, there are literally dozens of wedding halls within 45 minutes (and I've been to many terrific weddings at them.)  And then 2-2.5 hours are some great vineyards, and Montauk/the Hamptons, so during the right season we'd make a weekend of it.  But an hour and a half to a barn and nothing else would irk me.  Especially since I'm in an area where everything you want/need is close by...90 minutes each way is definitely "we need a hotel" status, which would be annoying.  (I know in other parts of the country where things are more spread out, 3 hours in one day isn't too bad, but we're huge wimps with long drives  :D )
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2017
    It wouldn't bother me to drive that far to attend a wedding, but I can't drive at night, so that would be an issue.  How many older guests are you expecting?   Any people in wheelchairs?  What kind of toilet facilities does this venue have?  Portapotties?  No. I can tell you from experience that rural plumbing in a house will not support a party of more than, say, a dozen people.  $70 a night is not expensive for a hotel room, so that is a plus.

You are free to have your wedding any place you choose.  Your guests are also free to decline your invitation because the venue is difficult for them.  It does sound as if you are placing more value on your wedding vision and photos than on your guests comfort and convenience.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

SP29 said:

ETA: I know this isn't actually etiquette, but if you were to pick this venue, as a guest, I would expect a bit more. I would assume if you went out of town for this venue that it is because you were getting so much more "bang" for your buck. I'm not suggesting this venue needs to be a five start estate, but I would expect a nice venue with indoor plumbing (what kind of barn are we talking here?), climate controlled, really good food and ample amounts of it, an open bar, and good DJ (if you are having one). But mainly the food and drink.

This.

If I have to drive 3hrs roundtrip, plus or  minus the cost of a hotel stay to attend your wedding, and so does 90% of your guests, your wedding is a destination wedding in my mind.

When you hosts events like that you really should step up the food and entertainment a bit, but at a minimum I would expect indoor plumbing and AC/heat.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2017
    OP, if budget is a primary consideration for you, there are other options.  Daytime weddings and receptions are much cheaper than evening ones.  Do remember that your guests comfort and convenience should be your first concern.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg