Chit Chat
Options

Pippa gets married

SP29SP29 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
Saw some articles pop up about Pippa Middleton's wedding today. Gawd she looks stunning! I love her dress! I love the wedding bells as they are leaving the church- s lovely.

The children are so cute too!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3607520/pippa-middleton-wedding-marry-james-matthews/

So is this a common thing in England that if you are not married your SO is not invited? I saw a note about Pippa's brother James' girlfriend being an invited guest, despite them not being married (and of course the drama about Harry's gf not being invited to the ceremony).

Re: Pippa gets married

• Options
    I loved her dress too! Even more than Kate's wedding dress (I think, because I really loved that one too). Honestly I have never seen anyone as thin as Pippa. She must wear a 000. The kids were adorable. I think I read somewhere that it is normal to invite people to the reception/party that aren't invited to the wedding. Do our resident Brits want to comment on that?
  • Options

I loved her dress too! Even more than Kate's wedding dress (I think, because I really loved that one too). Honestly I have never seen anyone as thin as Pippa. She must wear a 000. The kids were adorable. I think I read somewhere that it is normal to invite people to the reception/party that aren't invited to the wedding. Do our resident Brits want to comment on that?

I also loved her dress, and I'm not one for cap sleeves.  As to guests after the ceremony, my impression was that more people were invited to the after dinner portion than to the ceremony.  I know I was invited out to that portion when I was living there by my exchange partner.  Actually, he showed up at my door mid-reception and told me to get dressed cos we were going to the rest of the reception for that night.  Not sure where it falls etiquette wise in the UK, but I had the impression it happened often.  

• Options

SP29 said:

Saw some articles pop up about Pippa Middleton's wedding today. Gawd she looks stunning! I love her dress! I love the wedding bells as they are leaving the church- s lovely.

The children are so cute too!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3607520/pippa-middleton-wedding-marry-james-matthews/

So is this a common thing in England that if you are not married your SO is not invited? I saw a note about Pippa's brother James' girlfriend being an invited guest, despite them not being married (and of course the drama about Harry's gf not being invited to the ceremony).

I think it's a "Royal Etiquette" thing. I don't think it's regular British etiquette. My GF who lives in the UK attended several weddings as an SO before marrying her now husband. 

I think that it had more to do with the high profile nature of Harry's girlfriend than actual etiquette. All the reports I read said she attended the reception.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017
    I loved Pippa's dress.     I hated what Kate wore.   She looked older than her what?  33-years old.

I don't know what the they were doing with the guest list.  Some invited only to the ceremony.  Some only to the reception.   Guests told to bring different clothes for the night reception.   It sounds like a nightmare to me.

I just hope people on here don't think that is acceptable.

ETA - apparently couples were not sat together.   Can you imagine being Megan and flying all the way over from the states and couldn't sit with your partner.   At least unlike those who only split up the WP, it was the entire guest list.  So no one group was singled out.   But so odd.  I know it's common place at say state dinners, but still.

Oh and it's reported Pippa hand picked her waitstaff who had to be "model" like.      o_0

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I didn't hate Kate's outfit. The first photo I saw of her in I did wonder what in the heck she was wearing, but when I saw it from some different angles I liked it more. I think the faux-pockets at the hips made it look dowdy, otherwise I think it was appropriate for a church ceremony. It was probably, "I'm going to wear one of these new designer fashions" outfit that makes the rest of us normal people scratch our heads.

• Options
    I loved Pippa's dress. She looked stunning. Plus, there are obviously good genes in that family but I really respect how crazy-athletic she is. She's done some grueling marathons and triathlons and some run/swim event where they swam from island to island (and ran across each island). 

Hated Kate's dress. Even if it was from house of McQueen, it was way too 70's throwback with the flowy arms and saggy boobs. Maybe Kate herself didn't want to upstage the bride, but given Pippa got to look fabulous at Kate's wedding, I sure hope Pippa didn't dictate that Kate had to look dowdy. 

Not sure what's up with the etiquette of the flow of that day. At least for the Royal wedding, all those guests at the church had a reception. The different phases got progressively smaller/more intimate. It seemed like the reverse for Pippa's- smaller ceremony, larger reception? And I think Harry's GF not being there was intentional to keep the spotlight on the bride. 

• Options
    I LOVED Pippa's dress.   It was beautiful and elegant and tasteful.   I loved it more than Kate's wedding dress.

I didn't hate Kate's dress but I also found it just blah.   It wasn't awful to me but seemed too much like something she could wear to any number of events.    Clearly she took a back seat to the bride.

I am not understanding the logic in any of the protocols followed with splitting couples for the ceremony / reception or the attire changes.

• Options
    She also had "phone police" as no one was allowed to use their cells to keep photos from being on social media. And yea, there was a huge gap after the lunch ended (3:30ish) and the enormous evening party. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Kate's outfit was more bland than anything. Those kids are adorable though! Pippa looked lovely :)

Little confused on why Harry's gf couldn't go ...
  • Options

banana468 said:
    I LOVED Pippa's dress.   It was beautiful and elegant and tasteful.   I loved it more than Kate's wedding dress.

I didn't hate Kate's dress but I also found it just blah.   It wasn't awful to me but seemed too much like something she could wear to any number of events.    Clearly she took a back seat to the bride.

I am not understanding the logic in any of the protocols followed with splitting couples for the ceremony / reception or the attire changes.

There are no protocols as this wasn't a royal wedding. It wasn't even a nobility wedding. It was the wedding of a woman who belongs to a family that recently made some money in a small online party shop. Whilst Catherine has married into the royal family, no one hosting or the bride or groom are titled and have to follow protocols. 

There is no reason why people were separated, or for the huge gap, or the lack of partner invites other than rudeness. 

Right, for me this fell into the category of "celebrity wedding".  Not to paint all celebrities with a tar brush but, when it comes to their weddings, it seems like there are often serious etiquette faux pas's (sp?).  As if, "since the world is watching my wedding, etiquette doesn't apply to me and I get special rules."

I mean, could you imagine if a bride came on here with a post that was, "My sister's BIL is invited to my wedding.  But he and his g/f are famous.  I'm definitely inviting her to the reception.  But do I HAVE to invite her to the ceremony?  I really don't want her there because I know she might steal some of my spotlight.  Everyone should be taking MY picture, not HERS."

To be fair, I don't know much about Pippa.  I might be putting words in her mouth because I'm only guessing on her reason for not inviting Prince Harry's g/f to the ceremony.  But the reason doesn't matter.  It's still weird and rude.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

banana468 said:

There are no protocols as this wasn't a royal wedding. It wasn't even a nobility wedding. It was the wedding of a woman who belongs to a family that recently made some money in a small online party shop. Whilst Catherine has married into the royal family, no one hosting or the bride or groom are titled and have to follow protocols. 

There is no reason why people were separated, or for the huge gap, or the lack of partner invites other than rudeness. 

Right, for me this fell into the category of "celebrity wedding".  Not to paint all celebrities with a tar brush but, when it comes to their weddings, it seems like there are often serious etiquette faux pas's (sp?).  As if, "since the world is watching my wedding, etiquette doesn't apply to me and I get special rules."

I mean, could you imagine if a bride came on here with a post that was, "My sister's BIL is invited to my wedding.  But he and his g/f are famous.  I'm definitely inviting her to the reception.  But do I HAVE to invite her to the ceremony?  I really don't want her there because I know she might steal some of my spotlight.  Everyone should be taking MY picture, not HERS."

To be fair, I don't know much about Pippa.  I might be putting words in her mouth because I'm only guessing on her reason for not inviting Prince Harry's g/f to the ceremony.  But the reason doesn't matter.  It's still weird and rude.

Exactly. Manners and politeness are free, and sometimes people with vast sums of money still won't partake. 
  • Options
    I'm in the minority.  I didn't care for her dress.

Don't blackball me!!! I think it was the neckline that I didn't care for. The shape/bottom was nice. 

• Options
    I agree @CharmedPam! The dress was okay, but it wasn't my favorite. She could have done better, IMO

• Options
    edited May 2017

I'm in the minority.  I didn't care for her dress.

Don't blackball me!!! I think it was the neckline that I didn't care for. The shape/bottom was nice. 

This. I loved everything about the dress EXCEPT the neckline. 

• Options

I loved Pippa's dress!

I'm going to hope that it was Megan Markle's idea to skip the ceremony and just attend the reception. I can see that would have been a thoughtful thing to keep the attention away from Megan. If she was not invited, then that is completely rude.

• Options

ernursej said:

I loved Pippa's dress!

I'm going to hope that it was Megan Markle's idea to skip the ceremony and just attend the reception. I can see that would have been a thoughtful thing to keep the attention away from Megan. If she was not invited, then that is completely rude.

That's a good point!  We're all assuming Megan M. didn't go to the ceremony because she wasn't invited.  And that is what was rumored in all the press.  But maybe it was Megan M. who chose not to attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    About Pippa's dress, and I was a person who said I love it... granted there are far more Americans and Canadians on this board than UK ladies but I thought her dress really epitomized the classy, elegant look I personally associate with the British, particularly those who are wealthy. 
    Because she's the sister of a duchess, this wedding was going to get international attention. Had she shown up in a Pnina Tornai or the more bare Elie Saab styles that A-list stars are wearing to Cannes (and I adore Elie Saab...)... she would have been ripped to shreds in the international press. She has the body to pull off the sexiest of trendy wedding gowns yet she chose something conservative and timeless. I think the mock-turtleneck style would be itchy and/or constricting (but maybe not, with that kind of money for quality) but I don't think anyone could find fault with how she presented herself. Good for her, I say. 

• Options

About Pippa's dress, and I was a person who said I love it... granted there are far more Americans and Canadians on this board than UK ladies but I thought her dress really epitomized the classy, elegant look I personally associate with the British, particularly those who are wealthy. 
    Because she's the sister of a duchess, this wedding was going to get international attention. Had she shown up in a Pnina Tornai or the more bare Elie Saab styles that A-list stars are wearing to Cannes (and I adore Elie Saab...)... she would have been ripped to shreds in the international press. She has the body to pull off the sexiest of trendy wedding gowns yet she chose something conservative and timeless. I think the mock-turtleneck style would be itchy and/or constricting (but maybe not, with that kind of money for quality) but I don't think anyone could find fault with how she presented herself. Good for her, I say. 

That's a good point. She obviously could wear anything and look good. Because she did look beautiful. I think it was the neckline I didn't care for like the others said but she still looked great