Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Can a black tie wedding be on a day other than Saturday?

2»

Re: Can a black tie wedding be on a day other than Saturday?

• Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

CMGragain said:

CMGragain said:

@Kimora_Blax, please don't use text speak here.  It is "you", not "u".

Um what? This is not a rule, it is your preference. Please don't present this as some directive from the boss. 

I have seen this advice posted before by other people.  No one else here seems to have trouble spelling the word "you".  Just trying to help her.

How on earth could that be considered helpful and not classist/ageist? She obviously knows how to spell 'you'. Using shorthand is common. I use contractions, slang like 'ppl' and text speak sometimes. Doesn't make @Kimora_Blax or me in need of 'help'. You can certainly state your preference but everyone else is free to use or not use shorthand and slang as they see fit. 

• Options

Exactly. I love casual weddings. A couple wants to throw a Sunday brunch or a Thursday cocktails and dessert party to save money, I'm fine with that. Sounds fun. But it's expecting your guests to go all out, extra fancy for black tie on a Friday when you know they're having to squeeze into a long gown and nail a fancy updo in a toilet cubical next to Linda from HR. If they threw a cocktail party, or even more formal party, I could've put on a simple LBD and chignon and be done easily. But if it's black tie, it's just so much more faffing

As I said previously, it's not against etiquette but just inconvenient. I agree it's not a summons so declining is always an option, but OP asked my opinion. My opinion is I find non-Saturday black tie events inconvenient. 

Off topic, this is the second time in this thread you have used the word "faff".  I have never heard it before.  Though I can tell from the two contexts what it means.  What a fun word and I am adding it to my vocabulary!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2017
    @LondonLisa, for once I disagree with you.  I have been a regular here for almost six years, and I have seen this advice given to others several times.  I was a teacher.  While I don't like to correct people's grammar, I find the substitution of text speak for posting to be annoying, and I am not the only one.  There is nothing classist/ageist about this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    If we're going to be the Grammar Fuzz there was a more annoying gaffe than using "u" rather than you. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    edited May 2017

CMGragain said:

If you can understand what I am saying, then not my problem. Your personal preference isn't my issue. I am writing on my phone so can get awkward. You aren't my teacher and I'm not looking for advice.
  • Options

CMGragain said:

If you can understand what I am saying, then not my problem. Your personal preference isn't my issue. I am writing on my phone so can get awkward. You aren't my teacher and I'm not looking for advice.

Fair enough.  There used to be a suggestion on the website several years ago regarding this, but I guess it is gone.  I know you are relatively new here, so I thought I could help.  I use text speak when I text on the phone.  I use standard (American) English on any other communication because I feel it makes a statement about me.
    I meant to help you, not to upset you.  I am sorry you took it this way.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017

scribe95 said:

I have seen all kinds of suggestions on this board to use punctuation and good grammar. Don't think the "u" comment was much different. I too appreciate proper spelling and grammar. So, much like I would side-eye a cash bar I will also side-eye text-speak.

Then side-eye away, not sure why I should care? You have used poor grammar. You didn't start the sentence 'Don't think the "u" comment..." with an I. Also the sentence "So, much like...." isn't grammatically correct so u should probably check your own speech before critiquing anyone else. I side-eye people who criticise others while making the same mistake......more than once.

This forum is full of half-sentences and similiar 'errors' so why don't all the grammarians get over themselves and start messaging literally everyone on the forum. 
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

scribe95 said:

I have seen all kinds of suggestions on this board to use punctuation and good grammar. Don't think the "u" comment was much different. I too appreciate proper spelling and grammar. So, much like I would side-eye a cash bar I will also side-eye text-speak.

There is a fundamental difference between walls of text littered with non-sequiturs/confusing syntax and one use of the shorthand 'u' suggesting the poster needed an education. 

I understand people appreciate correct grammar, but if we are getting to the point where we are correcting everyone's writing, it is going to get tedious. I use British spelling and style. Do I need to switch to American? Which house style are we using: AP, Oxford, or Chicago? Can we discuss the policy regarding Oxford commas? (Actually, as I would love this).

This post above is missing parenthetical clause commas for emphasis around 'too' according to AP, Chicago, and Oxford writing style guides. I just think if we are getting down to correcting small errors and slang, it starts invalidating people's posts. I agree with Scribe that I prefer full sentences. However, if I started correcting her grammar (when it is perfectly intelligible although contains minor errors), it seems a tad petty and hijacks a whole thread.

I think we should leave the corrections to when the post is unreadable or unintelligible and let occasional usage of shorthand, such as 'u' or 'ppl', slide. 

Also, death to people who don't use the Oxford Comma! ;)

Preach. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017

redoryx said:

scribe95 said:

There is a fundamental difference between walls of text littered with non-sequiturs/confusing syntax and one use of the shorthand 'u' suggesting the poster needed an education. 

I understand people appreciate correct grammar, but if we are getting to the point where we are correcting everyone's writing, it is going to get tedious. I use British spelling and style. Do I need to switch to American? Which house style are we using: AP, Oxford, or Chicago? Can we discuss the policy regarding Oxford commas? (Actually, as I would love this).

This post above is missing parenthetical clause commas for emphasis around 'too' according to AP, Chicago, and Oxford writing style guides. I just think if we are getting down to correcting small errors and slang, it starts invalidating people's posts. I agree with Scribe that I prefer full sentences. However, if I started correcting her grammar (when it is perfectly intelligible although contains minor errors), it seems a tad petty and hijacks a whole thread.

I think we should leave the corrections to when the post is unreadable or unintelligible and let occasional usage of shorthand, such as 'u' or 'ppl', slide. 

Also, death to people who don't use the Oxford Comma! ;)

Preach. 

I third that. Long Live the Oxford Comma!

Edited because the pollen is affecting my brain cells. 
  • Options

I have no problem with weddings held on weekdays, Fridays or Sundays. I held my wedding on a weekday and while I had many people who were not M-F people, I had several that were. All groups commented that it was nice to have their whole weekend free and not 'tied' down by a wedding that would be most of the afternoon/evening and ruin the ability to go away. The majority of the people I know (my Grandfather included) go out regularly on a weekday. Our wedding was just ceremony and dinner and started after the majority of the M-F people would have been done work. We held it downtown where those people work and our guests found that very convenient.

I have changed in the bathroom of my ER department into fancy dresses more than I can count but get that it is not everyone's preference. I don't see anything wrong with black tie any night of the week.

• Options
    Ro041Ro041 member

scribe95 said:

I would side-eye the cash bar because it costs me money.  That and the casual use of the word "u" in a forum could not be more different in my mind.

• Options
    I love the Oxford comma! I also love this song...http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_i1xk07o4g
  • Options
    Yes. I just went to one that was a Sunday night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What day of the week did you get married? Just curious!