Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cant have welcome bag to destination wedding...ideas?

I want to give my guests a nice bag of something they can take home with them. We can't have welcome bags because each family is coming at a different time and location to the wedding...If we delivered them upon arrival of each family we would probably be working a full week before. So at the wedding reception, we want to have nice bags they can pick up as they leave. In addition, many families are flying and don't have room to take back a lot of things with them.

I was thinking:
Nice, handwritten note
Gift card (something general, like a credit card one) - we wanted to do car rental gift card but most already have theirs set up 
Uber code for any transportation needed after the wedding 
Maybe 1 snacks or candy to get through the rest of their time remaining.

Any other ideas? 

Re: Cant have welcome bag to destination wedding...ideas?

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I want to give my guests a nice bag of something they can take home with them. We can't have welcome bags because each family is coming at a different time and location to the wedding...If we delivered them upon arrival of each family we would probably be working a full week before. So at the wedding reception, we want to have nice bags they can pick up as they leave. In addition, many families are flying and don't have room to take back a lot of things with them.

I was thinking:
    Nice, handwritten note
    Gift card (something general, like a credit card one) - we wanted to do car rental gift card but most already have theirs set up 
    Uber code for any transportation needed after the wedding 
    Maybe 1 snacks or candy to get through the rest of their time remaining.

Any other ideas? 

I've never heard of giving a gift card in a welcome bag.  This all seems more than generous.  If they will all be there a bit longer after the wedding you can always throw in a bottle of water with the snacks.
  • A gift card would be nice, but unexpected. Gift bags usually have something to drink, something to eat, an itinerary/map/event details, treats, and sometimes advil, hand sanitizer or some other convenient toiletry.
    *********************************************************************************

• This is essentially a wedding favour. Welcome bags work because they help guests orientate themselves for the wedding. By the time everyone is at the actual wedding, I am sure they'll be fine.

I would just use the money to make really nice favours for them. I agree that a cash gift card is a bit strange. 

You can always do a 'virtual' welcome bag email that has local information, timelines and the uber code for transportation.  

I think this is a great idea.

Different scenario, but same idea.  I occasionally rent out one of my properties to AirBnB guests.  I have a standard "info packet" that I e-mail out to guests after they have booked.  It includes good places to eat within walking distance, as well as other great restaurants in town.  The web address for the bus/streetcar public transportation.  Places to visit during their trip.  "Locals tips and slang".  That kind of thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree the gift card is a bit odd.

Snacks, a bottled beverage or two (I've seen bottles of water or Gatorade), maybe a couple toiletries people tend to forget, a schedule of events, info on the area are pretty standard. When I've gotten them before, it also was in situations when people came from all over and checked in at different times. What I assume the couple did was leave the bags at the front desk, and ask them to give them to anyone checking in as part of the room block. You could also give them a list of names and have them hand out bags that way. Some hotels charge for this service, but I don't think it's a ton, and nicer hotels may provide it for free.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Are all of the OOT guests staying at the same hotel?  Ditto @ahoywedding can you ask the hotel/whoever's handling your block to give out the welcome bags whenever guests check in. I don't think any of us here have had all of their OOT guests arrive at the same day and time.

Some snacks, bottled water, Advil, a local treat, and a "things to do" area guide are standard and appreciated.  Agree with PP that a gift card is unecessary.

• Hmm the gift card is a bit weird. Maybe like a GC for one starbucks coffee with a note to enjoy a coffee in the morning? That kind of thing? But like a visa cash card...really strange. Like are you going to give all your guests $5?
  • I can't imagine all the guests are staying at totally different properties (i.e. each renting individual lodging themselves)? I'd assume they're probably spread out between a couple hotels?  Just ask the hotels to hand out the welcome bags. It shouldn't take you too long to do a few drop-offs one day, and then you're done. 

Like others have said I'd find a gift-card really weird. But if you want to spend a little more it would be great to give some type of local gift in the bag. Like, what's the big "thing" at your destination that most tourists buy? There's probably something. Like, if I was going to a wedding in Vermont I'd love it if my bag came with maple syrup and maple candy...because you better believe i'm not leaving the state without some! So it would save me the outing and the money if you put it in the welcome bag.

I also went to a wedding in New Jersey once and the welcome bag came with a Bon Jovi CD. That was pretty funny. 

Otherwise, as others have said, the welcome bag is about making the guests feel comfortable while they're away from home in a new place. Bottled water, snacks, and local info is really all you should aim to provide.