Chit Chat
Options

photos as footers

FYI: If you have a photo as your footer, it can get really distracting when someone is trying to read posts -- especially if you post over and over so that folks are looking at the same photo over and over again.  Not only is it tiresome to see the same picture over and over (ceases to be cute and becomes yukky), but it's difficult to read the thread.  Please consider rethinking your decision to use a large photo in your footer if you're going to make a lot of posts in short succession.

Re: photos as footers

• Options
    I have not been able to add a footer or change my avatar! I've sent @knotriley several messages to no avail. I guess I'm technologically inept!
  • Options

I have not been able to add a footer or change my avatar! I've sent @knotriley several messages to no avail. I guess I'm technologically inept!

Well, I'm probably not the best one to explain this, but I'll give it a shot.

Click on your screen name that is under your avatar. This will take you to your profile page.
    On the upper right corner, click on the little head to open a drop down menu.
    Select edit.
    Look under your avatar on the left side - you have several options - change pic, signature etc...
    Select the little pic in the header of this dialogue box to add in a pic.
    Make sure you select save for siggy pics.

• Options

levioosa said:

*Eye roll* Just go to your settings and click the box that takes away the gifs and siggys. I mean, you come crashing onto a community, don't bother to change your username, and then tell us to take away something that has been a core part of the boards? You've totally shown us! We'll all get to taking away off siggy's stat! 

^^ This. You can go into your settings and either check to strip photos from sigs or remove the sigs entirely. 

I'm with you. My unpopular opinion is I hate sigs. I haven't seen any on TK in literally years because I have the box to eliminate all of them checked. Back when I first joined and before I figured out how to disable them, I remember sigs that would take up whole screenfuls while scrolling. And then of course, they take longer to load, the flashing gifs are distracting, and some of them are just stuff I don't prefer to see. I remember a couple of creepy and/or weird gifs in sigs seemingly from horror movies.

Personally, I'm a big fan of forums that limit the size images can be and disallow gifs altogether. 
  • Options

Well, I'm probably not the best one to explain this, but I'll give it a shot.

Click on your screen name that is under your avatar. This will take you to your profile page.
    On the upper right corner, click on the little head to open a drop down menu.
    Select edit.
    Look under your avatar on the left side - you have several options - change pic, signature etc...
    Select the little pic in the header of this dialogue box to add in a pic.
    Make sure you select save for siggy pics.

Thanks! It worked.
  • Options

Or use TK on mobile so you don't see any sigs. I do have to say I kind of miss them when I'm on mobile. 

Also who doesn't love gifs. 

I used to hate gifs because the looping drove me nuts.  I eventually got over it.  :)  Still haven't turned siggies back on, though.
  • Options
    Oh I knew that'd inspire a bunch of personal attacks on me, but it's bad forum etiquette so I mentioned it anyway (after all, you all seem concerned about etiquette).  Makes it hard to read -- as does perpetually quoting everything (why do people do that?).
  • Options
    I haven't chosen a screen name because I thought I'd check out the community first. Having done so, I don't expect to stay long enough to need a name. 
  • Options
    People immediately quote the very last post with nothing in-between. It makes sense to quote a small piece that you're referring to, but why quote every word of a long post?
  • Options

People immediately quote the very last post with nothing in-between. It makes sense to quote a small piece that you're referring to, but why quote every word of a long post?

We quote so we know who we're referring to. You can cut down quote trees by deleting the previous replies.
  • Options
    I don't need a name as I'll be gone after today.  This is the rudest board I've ever come across and I participate in political forums.  Endless personal attacks if you say something that goes against someone else's etiquette rules.  Or if you accidentally answer an older thread.  People even get harassed for trying to delete their conversations when they're sick of this place. I've seen trolls come running saying how "gleeful" they were to see a thread marked "closed."
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I don't need a name as I'll be gone after today.  This is the rudest board I've ever come across and I participate in political forums.  Endless personal attacks if you say something that goes against someone else's etiquette rules.  Or if you accidentally answer an older thread.  People even get harassed for trying to delete their conversations when they're sick of this place. I've seen trolls come running saying how "gleeful" they were to see a thread marked "closed."

You got a lot of support on your first thread with the exception of a few people who told you to get over it (which really is all one can do in that situation). You just don't like that we're not all sunshine, rainbows, and puppies and refuse to blow smoke up your butt. Nobody gets attacked for posting on an old thread unless you consider, "It's considered rude on these boards to comment when a thread has been dead for 2 months. Please check the dates before posting." Nobody "gets harassed" for trying to delete a thread, but we'll tell you that it's not possible and it's a waste of time since you've already been quoted. 
  • Options
    My first thread was hijacked by people who didn't like what I was talking about and wouldn't stop interjecting long enough for me to have a conversation with anyone who did. Anyone who doesn't follow this board's idea of etiquette will be hounded until they stop talking -- even if that's not what they were asking about. I don't feel a need to try to delete threads, but I now suspect that's why people quote the whole thing -- so they can make sure that it's never possible if someone does want to delete what they've written. Clearly people do because they keep marking threads "closed."
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    sparklepants41: Yes, it's clear that this is an established community, but that doesn't make the boards less difficult to read when they have large images interspersed throughout. I pointed out that the boards were difficult to read the same way that people pointed out how things I talked about didn't follow etiquette rules. I didn't point to specific images or try to say never use an image ever -- I just said the large ones made it difficult to read. I'll look for the option to turn them off, but the board itself is rather glitchy in its technical performance.
  • Options

My first thread was hijacked by people who didn't like what I was talking about and wouldn't stop interjecting long enough for me to have a conversation with anyone who did. Anyone who doesn't follow this board's idea of etiquette will be hounded until they stop talking -- even if that's not what they were asking about. I don't feel a need to try to delete threads, but I now suspect that's why people quote the whole thing -- so they can make sure that it's never possible if someone does want to delete what they've written. Clearly people do because they keep marking threads "closed."

No. Your first post was you talking about how you can't look at your wedding pictures without feeling sad because your BIL was in the hospital. Your second post, you posted knowing full well how people here feel about them and it wasn't hijacked, but people are free to discuss. You are not the only bride here (shocking right?) and we give opinions and advice for every bride coming here seeking answers. 

The only people who can close a thread are the moderators. Another one of the reasons people quote is for the benefit of the next bride that comes here with the same issue. DD is useless once you've been quoted so it's a waste of time. Also, if you attempt a DD, we all know and can choose whether or not to participate in your next discussion.
  • Options

sparklepants41: Yes, it's clear that this is an established community, but that doesn't make the boards less difficult to read when they have large images interspersed throughout. I pointed out that the boards were difficult to read the same way that people pointed out how things I talked about didn't follow etiquette rules.

If you don't like them, change your settings!!! You've been told how! Quit whinging about something that is generally accepted by the majority of the community.
  • Options

sparklepants41: Yes, it's clear that this is an established community, but that doesn't make the boards less difficult to read when they have large images interspersed throughout. I pointed out that the boards were difficult to read the same way that people pointed out how things I talked about didn't follow etiquette rules. I didn't point to specific images or try to say never use an image ever -- I just said the large ones made it difficult to read. I'll look for the option to turn them off, but the board itself is rather glitchy in its technical performance.

It's also considered rude to edit your post without explaining what the edit is.
  • Options
    We also quote because people like to delete or edit their posts without explaining what they have done, removing context/content from a conversation. I belong to other forums and this is standard operating procedures. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards