Wedding Reception Forum

Mini dessert displays as centerpeices or flowers?

penguinpoppenguinpop member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
edited June 2017 in Wedding Reception Forum
We were originally going to do cupcake displays in the center of each table that were decorated along with our woodland theme.  The baker recently got back to me and said that based on the other weddings she has had this year she thought I should change it to  dessert display and ditch the decorated cupcakes, and instead have a bunch of mini desserts. 

I was relying on the cupcakes to provide the color and interest that flowers would otherwise provide, and now I have no idea what these dessert displays will look like. Meanwhile I saw a flower display that looked really awesome that matches our theme that our florist did which would be lovely as a centerpiece. 

Should I keep the dessert displays on each table knowing it won't look as cool as the cupcakes (but maybe it will - it's a mystery!), or should I change to a dessert display table at the side of the room and spend the extra money on flowers and play it safe? The not knowing is kind of killing me. I have some pictures of components of the display and approximately what the dessert centerpiece displays will look like but it's still hard for me not knowing exactly.

Wedding is coming up quick, so I'm a little stressed with all the changes that are happening right now. Nothing is going according to plan, so it's hard to keep adjusting since I'm second guessing everything now. 

Re: Mini dessert displays as centerpeices or flowers?

• Speaking as a guest, I don't care what the desserts look like.  I care how they taste!  Listen to your baker.  Not everybody loves cupcakes, and I think they are becoming a bit overdone.  Save your money.  I would love to have a choice of desserts at my table!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I get how you're feeling, and I know people always say decor doesn't matter as it doesn't affect guest comfort, but I cared about what my tables looked like, even if the guests wouldn't remember a day later.  If it's important to you that you like the way your centerpieces look and you can fit it in the budget, I say go for the flowers, as it's one less thing you'll wonder and worry about.  But if it's going to mean cutting back on something else, even if it doesn't affect guest experience (like extras on a honeymoon), I'd scrap the flower idea and stick with the desserts.  
    Ask the baker to give you a mock-up of a dessert display if they can, and/or invest in a few cheap flowers to add to the bottom of the dessert display if you're worried about it being too drab.  Or, what if you found little to-go boxes that match your color scheme and stack them among the desserts to spruce it up?
  • I would ask the baker if she has any photos of similar dessert displays so you can make an informed decision. If she can't give you any, I'd tell her "Thanks, but I'd prefer to stick with the cupcakes."
  • I didn't do centerpieces and I didn't miss them. The food that we served family style was all the table decoration required. I don't remember any of the centerpieces at weddings except for the ones that ruined sightlines or were way to potent (flower power to the +++power). I would focus on flavours and your baker should be able to show you a photo of what she/he would do instead of cupcakes.

• Jen4948 said:

I would ask the baker if she has any photos of similar dessert displays so you can make an informed decision. If she can't give you any, I'd tell her "Thanks, but I'd prefer to stick with the cupcakes."

This is exactly what I'd do. She doesn't necessarily need to mock one up for you, but she should at least be able to show you examples of displays she has done. Keep in mind that you can always add color and theme to any display with plating, flowers and other decor. She may just be suggesting it because it's gone over better than cupcakes.
    *********************************************************************************

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What is wrong with cupcakes?

You don't have to change your current plans if you don't want to, but your baker should at least be able to show you a photo of the dessert centerpieces she has done previously.

Personally, I'd save your money on the flower centerpieces, if you were already planning to go that direction. Either keep the cupcake plan or get a visual of the dessert display and see how you can spruce that up, if you want to. I'm an in the camp of "no one really cares what your centerpieces look like".
  • Flowers are ideal for centerpieces, desserts are ideal for eating, and cupcakes are a little bit of both (but not ideal for either). 

I say go for flowers and desserts if you can swing it.

If you have an edible centerpiece, the tables are gonna look ransacked for the second half of the wedding after they've been eaten. 

• MandyMost said:

Flowers are ideal for centerpieces, desserts are ideal for eating, and cupcakes are a little bit of both (but not ideal for either). 

I say go for flowers and desserts if you can swing it.

If you have an edible centerpiece, the tables are gonna look ransacked for the second half of the wedding after they've been eaten. 

The last sentence is a good point.