Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

beverages for at home reception

I am trying to estimate how much to buy for my at home, outdoor July reception.  It is a very casual affair with cook-out style catered meal.  60 attending but that includes 2 photographers, the DJ, and officiant who will not be drinking alcohol.  I estimate a total of 15 non-alcohol drinkers.  We will have bottled water, cola, diet cola, non-cola, and beer.  Also, is it too chintzy to just go with a basic beer like Michelob or Budweiser in a regular and light version?  With so many tap rooms and craft beers available, what's a tolerable, affordable beer ?

Re: beverages for at home reception

• I am trying to estimate how much to buy for my at home, outdoor July reception.  It is a very casual affair with cook-out style catered meal.  60 attending but that includes 2 photographers, the DJ, and officiant who will not be drinking alcohol.  I estimate a total of 15 non-alcohol drinkers.  We will have bottled water, cola, diet cola, non-cola, and beer.  Also, is it too chintzy to just go with a basic beer like Michelob or Budweiser in a regular and light version?  With so many tap rooms and craft beers available, what's a tolerable, affordable beer ?

You know your crowd. Would they turn up their noses at a Bud, or is that their regular beer? I know my side of the family would absolutely be Bud drinkers, but my husband's side would be a mix of beer snobs and those who drink anything. If you have beer snobs, then find some middle of the road beer to offer that's available in your area if you'd like to cover that base.
  • In my experience, even beer snobs will drink whatever is offered.    No need to go broke on beverages.   

That said, where are you from?  We might be able to help find an affordable alternative.      

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've checked with my sons-in-law and my son to see what they WOULDN'T drink because I think everyone else will drink whatever.  

• I am trying to estimate how much to buy for my at home, outdoor July reception.  It is a very casual affair with cook-out style catered meal.  60 attending but that includes 2 photographers, the DJ, and officiant who will not be drinking alcohol.  I estimate a total of 15 non-alcohol drinkers.  We will have bottled water, cola, diet cola, non-cola, and beer.  Also, is it too chintzy to just go with a basic beer like Michelob or Budweiser in a regular and light version?  With so many tap rooms and craft beers available, what's a tolerable, affordable beer ?

So, some "middle-of the road" beers that might please a slightly snobbier crowd would be: Stella, Heineken, Corona/Pacifico/Dos Equis. I think there are some people who wouldn't drink bud but would happily drink a Stella (I'm actually one of those people, though there would be no complaints from me, I'd just be enjoying diet coke at your wedding :))

Is it possible you can offer wine too? Barefoot would be totally fine

So, some "middle-of the road" beers that might please a slightly snobbier crowd would be: Stella, Heineken, Corona/Pacifico/Dos Equis. I think there are some people who wouldn't drink bud but would happily drink a Stella (I'm actually one of those people, though there would be no complaints from me, I'd just be enjoying diet coke at your wedding :))

Is it possible you can offer wine too? Barefoot would be totally fine

All of this - Stella/Amstel/Corona would be good for potential beer snobs. 

I second the idea of adding wine. 
  • So I don't know where you're geographically located, but outdoors in July can be pleasant or it can be brutally hot. Do you have a plan B?

I'm also not sure how long your reception is, but I would have at least a bottle of water per person for every two hours of party time. So for a 4 hour party with 60 people, I think you need 120 bottles of water. 

As far as soft drinks, I would offer simple options - coke, diet coke, and sprite. Even though you only have 15 non-alcohol drinkers, assume a few more will be driving/pregnant/not feeling like booze, so get some extra. I would do 60 of each. 

For beer, I think it's a know-your-crowd. You say most are low-maintenance so I think it's fine to go with a basic beer. Assume one drink per hour per guest. So for a 4 hour party with 45 drinkers, assume 180 beers. If I were you, I would just get a keg. 
    *********************************************************************************