Catholic Weddings
Options

Catholic convalidation ceremony after civil marriage

Hello ladies! I'm looking for some advice on what to do with this topic. Long story short, my husband and I got married in 2013 in a civil ceremony. For our fifth anniversary he is surprising me with a convalidation. My question is, who should I invite? Should we just do our immediate family or just our theee sons? He was previously married in the church over 15 years ago. I just don't want to make it seem like a huge wedding. The more simple the better. I'm just thrilled to have the marriage blessed in the church finally! To celebrate afterwards we were thinking about having a cocktail party at our house afterwards. We aren't looking for gifts or anything like that from attendants. But I'm not sure how to go about this. What seems to make the most sense to do? Thanks so much! 

Re: Catholic convalidation ceremony after civil marriage

• Options
    Can you expand a bit on how he is "surprising you" with a convalidation? There's a lot of preparation needed for this...marriage prep (though likely amended due to the fact you've been civilly married for a couple years)... annulment of his first marriage, etc. 

Regarding the celebration of it, you can do what you want.. the Catholic church considers this the actual marriage/wedding. 
  • Options
    I am also confused about the "surprise" part of this. In many (all?) parishes, convalidation includes marriage preparation, which often involves a sponsor couple or a mentor couple in the church. It would be appropriate to invite this couple (if you want to) as well as anyone else you would like.

To me, convalidation is similar to baptism or other religious occasions. You may invite whom you like. A cocktail party afterward at your house to celebrate and thank family and/or friends for coming sounds lovely. The usual etiquette rules apply - if the party is during a meal time, please serve a meal; don't state "no gifts" anywhere, and write prompt thank-you notes for any you do receive; and don't invite people to the celebration whom you didn't invite to the convalidation ceremony.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse