So, How's Married Life?

2»

Re: So, How's Married Life?

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

CMGragain said:

In the bad old days, "How's married life?" used to be a subtle way of

asking how you liked having sex for the first time.  Yeah, for real.

Nice!..... None of your business! Or, use Mrs.Conn's swing comment. ;)

DH and I have been married for 3 years now (I always have to stop and think about it for a minute, has it really been 3 years?), lived together for 2 years prior, and dated for 12 years prior (we started dating young, in  high school).

Some people would ask, some specifically, "does it feel any different?". I agree that the daily things are no different, but there was a subtle change. A deeper connection, more of an "us", we are a team in everything that is nice. I do like to refer to him as my husband and be referred to as his wife.

People then started asking about kids. It really started to irk me- more so when people would assume I was pregnant because of X,Y,Z (I didn't drink anything alcoholic one time at a party, I felt nauseous one time- I get motion sickness really easy!!). Like unless you see the baby crowning out of my vjay-jay (which they wouldn't), don't ask! But I usually give a blase "I don't know, maybe" and talk about something else (I think we will have kids, just don't know when). It has finally slowed to a rare occurrence- I guess after 3 years of it not happening people have gotten bored.
  • Options
    We've been married almost 11 years, together for about 13. We lived together for about 10 months before we got married, so it wasn't a huge change.
    I don't remember the "different now that you're married" question, but the kid one was pretty annoying - especially after our daughter was born and the "when is a sibling coming?" - um, I had a rough, high-risk pregnancy, had preeclampsia, was on hospital bed rest for a week, then was induced at 33W6D, had 30 hours of labor, followed by an emergency c-section. I really don't have any desire to repeat any of that. I'm good with Wolverine being an only child. 
  • Options

*Barbie* said:

We've been married almost 11 years, together for about 13. We lived together for about 10 months before we got married, so it wasn't a huge change.
    I don't remember the "different now that you're married" question, but the kid one was pretty annoying - especially after our daughter was born and the "when is a sibling coming?" - um, I had a rough, high-risk pregnancy, had preeclampsia, was on hospital bed rest for a week, then was induced at 33W6D, had 30 hours of labor, followed by an emergency c-section. I really don't have any desire to repeat any of that. I'm good with Wolverine being an only child. 

My mum never kept the issues of delivery a secret, so people didn't ask her much either.

That's rough though :( Were you both healthy post labour?
  • Options
    @*Barbie* OMG that is insane! Hopefully you were both okay after the delivery - how long did Wolverine stay in the hospital before you were able to take her home? 
  • Options
    @*Barbie* omg so tiny <3! Glad everything turned out well and you're both healthy now!
  • Options
    @*Barbie* so adorable! That must have been really tough for you to not be able to hold her for 48 hours! 
  • Options
    I'm late to this party, but to answer the original question, I did feel a change with married life. We were together a little over one year before getting engaged, and we moved in together oh, 6 months before the wedding?
    I just felt more of the sense of security and establishment. That knowledge that we're in it for the long haul. A true partnership. My longest relationship prior to DH was 3 years but I never had that sense of security with him. 
    We'll be married 3 years in September (holy shit that's only two months away) but our baby is due in roughly 3 weeks. So the "how's married life" questions died out and were ultimately replaced by the "how are you feeeeeeling" questions.   

• Options
    I just got this question in a full-office meeting this morning. I told her (and everyone else I work with) that everything feels back to normal, since we had lived together for 5 years before getting married (3 years before getting engaged). 

I live in a MUCH more conservative town than I've ever been to before, and there was some pseudo-discrete pearl clutching. It was honestly weird.