New York-Long Island

Suffolk County Caterer's Law - Cancelation of wedding

HI Everyone,

Does anyone know if the law governs over a signed contract? we cancelled our venue for june 2012 about a month ago and have heard nothing back from the venue about getting our deposit (minus 100 dollars back). the law states that as long as a place is cancelled at least 6 months in advance that it is assumed the venue will rebook and the deposit must be retrned within 30 days less 100 dollars. the contract i signed says the venue needs to rebook the date no matter how far in advance its cancelled but i believe this venue is breaking the law. im about to call the venue and if they tell me they have to rebook i will take them to small claims court. anyone ever heard of this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Suffolk County Caterer's Law - Cancelation of wedding

• edited December 2011
    Yes.  When we signed our contract (we were married in Suffolk), you get $100 of your deposit back.  However, our venue's contract stated that unless they were able to rebook (time frame did not matter), they kept all of the deposits already given.  Double check your contract about the time frame, but there's a very high possibility that you are SOL on this one.  What venue are you referring to specifically?
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • edited December 2011
    worth a shot to check more into it, but since they added that side note of their own in the contract it doesn't look to good.  but there is still alot of time im sure the date will get booked. everyone getting engaged this year and late last year is looking into 2012 and halls will try up until the day before to book empty slots even if they have to almost give it away.

when we were looking at halls in early jan. we were getting some awesome deals for dates this month, which would have giving us a whole 3 months to plan the wedding lol  it was a great deal but no way could i do that and still be sane on the day of lol they they were pushing it as much as they could, one guy even said he would take me dress shopping to help if i wanted the march date. when we went to drop off a deposit i asked if anymore ever took those dates and he said someone booked the early march date early feb. so it may take a while to get your money back but at least there is still hope that you will get it :)
    Oct. 2012 Siggy E-Rings Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards