Wedding Woes

Tu-tu-Tuesday

I'm ba-ack!  :D  

Weekend was pretty good.  Sunday, DH's uncle sounded the alarm that a storm was coming and we should get out of our tents and into the barn.  So we scrambled up at 5:30am to shove everything except our cot and camp pads in the car.  DH's other uncle packed everything up in less than 15 min.  I need bug out lessons from him.  ;)  Oh and the storm was not much of anything.  Since we were all up anyway, we left earlier than we anticipated and that was fine by me.  I was happy to get a shower in my bathroom and sit in air conditioning.  :D 

Kids go back to school next week.  I might be having a celebratory mimosa at the bus stop.  These next 9 days are going to be long.  

Mosquito bites on your feet are the worst.  

Other than that, SSDD.  What's up with y'all?

Re: Tu-tu-Tuesday

• @mrsconn23  always my favourite part about going away, is coming home to my stuff lmao!
    I know I've said it before, but it's crazy how early your kids start back! Seems like a really long school year.
    Where I am, kids start between last week of August and first week of September. This year, many of those kids didn't end school until last week or 2 of June also.

Not much here. Did a lot of work yesterday, so I'm have searching for stuff to do today. I think it'll be following up on notes and that.
    We were suppose to clear up the table last night, but that didn't happen.
    I also ruined dinner. Had to wing a new crockpot recipe, and even though there was sauce, the chicken was dry as fuckkkkk ....
    M said that likely didn't have enough liquid to cover it all day. So may try again later but add some water.
    Sauce was good. Thankful for making rice.

Tonight I've got M making steaks on bbq. I'm not a big steak fan but these are small. Idk what the side is. Thinking of dinner all the time is exhausting ....
    M is going to a football game tomorrow, so I may just have cereal for dinner lmao!

Good news, my video uploaded to youtube pretty fast last night - that's always a good thing. Sometimes that site is so damn slow. :(
    Also friend of a friend is getting married in September 2018 and she wants me to do the bridal party makeup :) She was in another wedding where I did the makeup, so I'm not surprised she wanted me to do hers.
    I think my friend is gonna be in bridal party also, so that'll be cool.
  • @short+sassy  my commute is so much easier also without kids ;)
    And omg that would drive me nuts if our car had that issue! I've mentioned to M how annoying it is that some other models have touch activated trunks to open/close - where as I have to almost jump to reach the trunk door when open - but in comparison to the flaw on your car .... mine is #firstworldproblems lol
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @short+sassy your imagine is kind of dead on for our street.  Well, we may not be quite so blatant, but there are definitely coffee mugs full of mimosas.  DH's 4 Runner didn't have the key hole either.  Now the locks on the driver side of our Matrix are boogered up.  You can't even unlock the back door at all.

I'm sad. 

We had the memorial for SIL's father Friday night (4 people showed up?). 

DH's grandmother has cancer.  She has 4 tumors that are cancerous.  The one on her lung is too large to remove. She is not a candidate for radiation and she doesn't want chemo.  She's 92 and just doesn't want to be sick to her stomach. 

My friend's grandfather died sort of unexpectedly yesterday. He's 100 and just had surgery.  It's not completely unexpected because he's 100.  He was starting to recovery well after surgery though so they weren't expecting it.  He was in great spirits and they were getting ready to move him to a nursing home for rehab.  Sunday night he said he was tired and kicked every one out of the room.  He died some time in his sleep.

Sunday we were at church and one of the songs was a song we sang at a funeral when a friend died in a car crash in high school.  I've been thinking about that since then.  Yesterday 2 high school students died in a horrific car crash.  One of them belonged to our parish. 

• @mrsconn23 I second the mosquito bites on your feet :'( I have a ton from this weekend as well!

@MissKittyDanger That's exciting about doing bridal makeup! Also, are you feeling any better today?

We have our engagement photos this weekend. Im the most un-photogenic person ever, due to my extreme awkwardness whenever a camera is pointing at me, so we'll see how it goes lol. Good practice for the wedding I guess. Anyways, we originally wanted to do them on the Toronto Island, but the city requires a permit for professional photography to be done there.. $300/hour, with a minimum 2 hour booking... Nope, I'm good not spending $600. So we're getting them done at a really charming park outside the city, no permit required :) Now I just need to figure out what to wear...
  • I'm sorry @6fsn.  ((hugs)) 
  • @short+sassy I'm so spoiled with my car; I just need the key to be on my body and I push button on the door to unlock and start.

@6fsn sorry.

@MissKittyDanger there's a new place near me called Crockstar Dinner Club. She puts everything together for crockpot meals and you just add the meat. I've been thinking about doing it. 

I went to the grocery store last night and bought all the meat for the party this weekend. I finished up the blanket I've been working on for PG and she loves it. Mouse now says her name (or something like it)! He calls her Wahwah. He's so smart! He was in a terrible mood this morning and has been having some separation anxiety again.
  • Hugs @6fsn

We had a great weekend in Oregon. We rented an awesome VRBO in Dayton. It was great location wise and amenity wise. I love the Dundee Hills wine country. We got home last night. So today is laundry, working out and my normal Tuesday volunteering. Need to hit the grocery and Costco too!
  • (Hugs) 6. 
    MKD this midwestern girl literally can not understand how someone doesn't like steak. I understand how people ruin it with sauce and marinade but steak it's self? Delicious.
    @mrsconn23 your street sounds just like my SIL's. I swear they make a big deal out of kids holidays just so they can party.
    @soontobemrs-2 Toronto is lovely. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. :)

DH is celebrating because he finally got his liquor license. It is the license we are supposed to have in order to buy package alcohol and keep/ drink it in our house. Your sponsor (his sponsor is his job, mine is DH) has to agree that you are allowed and you can't spend more than 50% of your weekly salary on alcohol. Nobody checks for it though. Regardless, it was the last thing on DH's emigration checklist and he feels very accomplished, lol. 
    He is leaving in a couple days and I can't wait. I am not going to clean the house or do laundry for a week and have popcorn for dinner every night. Not that he expects me to do these things but it is a little different when you are "single".
  • (Hugs) 6. 
    MKD this midwestern girl literally can not understand how someone doesn't like steak. I understand how people ruin it with sauce and marinade but steak it's self? Delicious.
    @mrsconn23 your street sounds just like my SIL's. I swear they make a big deal out of kids holidays just so they can party.
    @soontobemrs-2 Toronto is lovely. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. :)

DH is celebrating because he finally got his liquor license. It is the license we are supposed to have in order to buy package alcohol and keep/ drink it in our house. Your sponsor (his sponsor is his job, mine is DH) has to agree that you are allowed and you can't spend more than 50% of your weekly salary on alcohol. Nobody checks for it though. Regardless, it was the last thing on DH's emigration checklist and he feels very accomplished, lol. 
    He is leaving in a couple days and I can't wait. I am not going to clean the house or do laundry for a week and have popcorn for dinner every night. Not that he expects me to do these things but it is a little different when you are "single".

First bolded:  Wow!  Isn't that something!  The fun and interesting pieces of foreign countries/cultures.

Second bolded:  Ummm...that's probably a good idea no matter where a person lives, lol.  Then again, I'm picturing a one-week time frame.  If it's over the course of a year, then I'd be in trouble!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    sorry about all of the sadness @6fsn

@missJeanLouise what an interesting law/requirement.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2017
    @missJeanLouise, BIL is deployed to Abu Dhabi right now and SIL was telling me about their crazy liquor laws.  I didn't know about the whole sponsoring thing, but he's in the military so I'm sure it's a different set of rules regardless. 
  • edited July 2017
    @short+sassy it is interesting how things work but most of the time (once I think it over) I can see how the idea came about (I had a harder time moving to the south than I did here). I mistyped, it is supposed to be Monthly Salary. There are so many things here that would work well in the states (but that American culture would never allow *cough cough* national id *cough*)

eta: all the parenthesis (((((())))))))
  • (Hugs) 6. 

First bolded:  Wow!  Isn't that something!  The fun and interesting pieces of foreign countries/cultures.

Second bolded:  Ummm...that's probably a good idea no matter where a person lives, lol.  Then again, I'm picturing a one-week time frame.  If it's over the course of a year, then I'd be in trouble!

What an ODD thing!   Would they stop you on a weekly basis?   If I'm having a party I could easily spend that on alcohol....but not all the time!
  • edited July 2017
    mrsconn23 said:
    @missJeanLouise, BIL is deployed to Abu Dhabi right now and SIL was telling me about their crazy liquor laws.  I didn't know about the whole sponsoring thing, but he's in the military so I'm sure it's a different set of rules regardless. 
    If they ever want someone to show them around or take them out feel free to hit me up. The hardest thing for me to get used to is going to hotels. All bars must be connected to hotels (with few exceptions) so that means if you want to go dancing with booze, it is at a hotel.

@banana468 nobody stops you ever. The ID has a chip so they can keep track of how much you are spending but even tonight, the night they gave DH his license, they didn't scan it. 

Eta: most of this is b/c 85% of the population is here on a visa. UAE don't play. DWI = deported, drunk in public = possible deportation. We are guests in this country so their house, their rules. I don't disagree with them.
  • I am hanging out with Bff and her sister and her babies. After tomorrow I will be free from babies and I'm kind of excited even though I'll be sad to say goodbye. Babies are just not my jam. I don't know how people find them endlessly entertaining. 

@6fsn I am so sorry for your loss. 

• @soontobemrs-2  Yeh I'm pretty excited. I have a few ideas that I'm gonna go over with her probably next month.
    Headache mostly gone. I think it's tension.

@DrillSergeantCat  normally I don't ruin crockpot meals, but when I do ... it's bad. lol
    Let me know how that place is :)

@missJeanLouise  to be fair, I'm not a huge red meat fan. I actually could tell you I can count on my hand how much steak/tough meat I've eaten since I was 16. I've never been a fan, but when I had braces at 16 the tough meat would break my brackets so I stopped eating it all together.
    I don't hate it per say .... given another option, I would go another way lol
  • @MissKittyDanger if it is tough, they are doing it wrong.
  • @MissKittyDanger if it is tough, they are doing it wrong.
    I was just about to say this. When I make steak it is delicious and is super tender. Seeing "tough meat" made me cringe. 

• levioosa said:
    @MissKittyDanger if it is tough, they are doing it wrong.
    I was just about to say this. When I make steak it is delicious and is super tender. Seeing "tough meat" made me cringe. 
    With braces, I changed a lot of my eating habits.
    Even cooked properly, I find it under the category of "food that requires more chewing"
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    (Hugs) 6. 

I'm so confused, please explain further!  So you don't need ID verifying age to buy liquor, you need a special license?  What are the requirements to get one? Do you pay for it? Do you have to show this license if you drink at a bar/restaurant?  Where do you live that this is a thing?
  • to lazy to tag people. 

I have a huge cluster of mosquito bites on my feet.  the toes are the absolute worst. 
    I don't like steak either.  Just tastes so blah to me. I hope your new recipe works out in the crockpot for you MKD!
    Short + sassy, that key thing sounds very annoying.  Why would they make the car like that?

So my old coworker told me she gave me my name & number to her neighbor who does demonstrations and asked if I would alloy him to do a demo (after she gave out my number).
    He texted me and said he needed to get a certain number of demo's in before the end of the week for his internship and I wasn't obligated to buy anything.  Me, not being able to say no, said sure. Come over on the 17th.

He's a high school grad, going to college and doing this cutco deal.  He did his demo, I told him I really dont use knifes that much (really, I rarely cook and if I need to cut something...I'm going to be real with you.  I usually pick it up with a fork and tear it with my teeth) so we'll be good.  He pressured us more. Oh, I really want to get you guys something that works for you.  You can return it in 15 days if you dont use it. blah blah blah.

I stood my ground.  DH, however did not. And now he's a "proud" owner of four measly table knifes for $162.00.

• to lazy to tag people. 

I have a huge cluster of mosquito bites on my feet.  the toes are the absolute worst. 
    I don't like steak either.  Just tastes so blah to me. I hope your new recipe works out in the crockpot for you MKD!
    Short + sassy, that key thing sounds very annoying.  Why would they make the car like that?

So my old coworker told me she gave me my name & number to her neighbor who does demonstrations and asked if I would alloy him to do a demo (after she gave out my number).
    He texted me and said he needed to get a certain number of demo's in before the end of the week for his internship and I wasn't obligated to buy anything.  Me, not being able to say no, said sure. Come over on the 17th.

He's a high school grad, going to college and doing this cutco deal.  He did his demo, I told him I really dont use knifes that much (really, I rarely cook and if I need to cut something...I'm going to be real with you.  I usually pick it up with a fork and tear it with my teeth) so we'll be good.  He pressured us more. Oh, I really want to get you guys something that works for you.  You can return it in 15 days if you dont use it. blah blah blah.

I stood my ground.  DH, however did not. And now he's a "proud" owner of four measly table knifes for $162.00.

That has me very puzzled also.  It's a Hyundai Elantra and my only thought was perhaps a lock on the passenger door is an "upgrade" and, since it was a rental car, Enterprise wasn't going to shell out the $100-$500 extra to make it a REAL car, lol.  But that is only a guess.

First off, shame on your old coworker for giving your name and number to her neighbor without talking to you first.  I'd be a bit PO'ed about that.

Secondly, four steak knives for $162?  Now that the "pressure" has eased off, time to talk to your H about seeing the voice of reason and returning the knives.

I don't know if it is the same company, but there are perpetual "want ads" for sales people for in-home demonstrations of knives where I live.  They advertise reps are paid $17 per appointment and appointments are "pre-set".  But I spoke to someone who briefly worked for them and she said she was never paid a set fee for an appointment, even though she was supposed to, and they only give reps a few calls to run per week.  The reps are then expected to dig for referrals themselves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kaos16 said:
    (Hugs) 6. 

I'm so confused, please explain further!  So you don't need ID verifying age to buy liquor, you need a special license?  What are the requirements to get one? Do you pay for it? Do you have to show this license if you drink at a bar/restaurant?  Where do you live that this is a thing?
    Technically there are a lot of laws. Under age is 18 (I THINK??). The requirements are a No Objections Certificate and salary certificate from your sponsor (most likely your employer). I don't think there is a charge. It is just for buying package/ having alcohol in your home, tourists are allowed to buy/have alcohol no problem so no one checks at restaurants/bars. I live in the United Arab Emirates. It is technically a dry country under sharia law but misconceptions and the reality are quite different.
  • to lazy to tag people. 

That has me very puzzled also.  It's a Hyundai Elantra and my only thought was perhaps a lock on the passenger door is an "upgrade" and, since it was a rental car, Enterprise wasn't going to shell out the $100-$500 extra to make it a REAL car, lol.  But that is only a guess.

First off, shame on your old coworker for giving your name and number to her neighbor without talking to you first.  I'd be a bit PO'ed about that.

Secondly, four steak knives for $162?  Now that the "pressure" has eased off, time to talk to your H about seeing the voice of reason and returning the knives.

I don't know if it is the same company, but there are perpetual "want ads" for sales people for in-home demonstrations of knives where I live.  They advertise reps are paid $17 per appointment and appointments are "pre-set".  But I spoke to someone who briefly worked for them and she said she was never paid a set fee for an appointment, even though she was supposed to, and they only give reps a few calls to run per week.  The reps are then expected to dig for referrals themselves.

hmmm well he had to set his own, so I dont think he was paid for it...but could have been?  I was wondering if he had a sheet to hand them to tell them they did a demo if we didn't buy anything.

You're right, I am going to have him return the knife set. I didn't even think about returning them. Tell him to go to amazon if he hates our table knifes!

• @CharmedPam  yay I'm not the only one! lol
  • hmmm well he had to set his own, so I dont think he was paid for it...but could have been?  I was wondering if he had a sheet to hand them to tell them they did a demo if we didn't buy anything.

You're right, I am going to have him return the knife set. I didn't even think about returning them. Tell him to go to amazon if he hates our table knifes!

Back in another lifetime, I did in-home demonstrations for whole-house water filtration systems (Rainsoft).  A more colloquial name is "water softeners".

At any rate, in most states...it might even be a federal law...there is a 3-day waiting period where a customer can rescind the contract.  And has to be notified they have that option.  There are a lot of industries that are exempt...like car dealerships and most retail establishments.  It is primarily designed to help consumers in exactly what you experienced.  A high pressure, in-home sales demonstration.

When I made a sale with Rainsoft, it was in the contract.  But it was also it's own separate little piece of paper that the customer had to sign.  Saying they were aware they had 3-days to rescind the contract.  It was our proof they'd been notified of their rights.

A 15-day return is lovely.  Take advantage ;).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Update on our scumbag tenant.  Warning, long rant ahead.

My H is over there now.  He isn't allowed to enter until the constable shows up at 2:15ish.  But he peeked in the windows.

The good news, it doesn't appear...at least so far...that there is much damage.

The bad news...that f**king, worthless, POS stole our refrigerator!!!!!  No, no, no, no, no.  It's not bad enough he's a freeloading SOB who totally screwed us over.  He's also a thief.

He's an appliance repair person who did have his own stove and washer/dryer set.  So I suppose it is within the realm of possibility that he "forgot" and thought the fridge was also his.  But I don't even care.  This guy has already caused us nothing but trouble over the last few months.  The camel's back is already broken, yet here is another big piece of straw drifting down.

The unpaid rent, the court fees, the minor damages (there is a window broken)...those are all civil torts that will be handled in small claims court.

But the theft of the refrigerator is another ball game.  That is a crime.  We will be calling the police and we will have him arrested, if he does not return it in short order.

He also left his boat, ATV, and work van in the driveway.  Which is a "huh", because I thought the van was his only vehicle.  He better come get all of that with a quickness also or it is getting towed off my property.  And the dumbest part?  This house is across the street from a field for a school.  He could have taken 10-15 minutes and moved all of that across the street, where nobody lives.  He could have left it there for eternity and no one, including me, would have cared.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I love being in real estate, but the most disheartening part is I sometimes see the absolute worst in people.  It can really make me lose my faith in humanity.  Most tenants are awesome.  But the bad ones are really bad.  He and his wife have lived in this unit for over a year.  And, while they were always marginal tenants at best, we all got along just fine.  It's only been in the last few months that things really started going shady.  Rent got paid...but was 2+ weeks late...for 3 months in a row.  Then didn't get paid at all in June and they refused to leave.  And now the fridge is stolen.

Looking back, I feel stupid.  The second time the rent was two weeks late, I should have just given them a 30-day notice to vacate (we were on a month-to-month by then).  Though maybe the results wouldn't have been much different.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  jezus! Hopefully it all pans out smoothly :(