Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Dress Disaster...my brand new dress isn't NEW

Re: Wedding Dress Disaster...my brand new dress isn't NEW

• @CMGragain
    i literally can't really argue with anything you said because your responses are all rational and legitimate arguments. 
    I too back in the day worked in dress retail as well and I know how this goes so believe me I get it. 
    Still doesn't feel any less wrong with the wedding being less than 43 days away. 
    My question posed to the forum was what would you do? 
    If nothing else this is cautionary for newly engaged women..

I didnt know I asked for bride shaming... come on. 
    Thanks for your thoughts though. 

• @climbingwife
    with all due respect you can't really tell me how I should feel in the situation because it's currently happening to me and not you. You don't know me, or what I've been through to get here. 
    You just sound mean... 
    a realist but mean and right now that isn't helpful either sooooo...

at the end of the day you didn't really answer the question. 
    The only helpful contribution to the discussion is that BRIDES WHEN YOU GET TO THE DRESS SHOP, literally look over every single solitary inch of your wedding dress/gown INSIDE and OUT! 
    Put a pause on the dress euphoria and use your eyes and head not your heart. 

Be blessed... 
  • Im attempting to remove the post... I didn't post it to argue. Just wanted to see if any one had any experience with this and get another viewpoint. 

It doesn't at any point change my personal feelings or diminish my feelings in any way. 
  • Im attempting to remove the post... I didn't post it to argue. Just wanted to see if any one had any experience with this and get another viewpoint. 

It doesn't at any point change my personal feelings or diminish my feelings in any way. 
    It's considered improper etiquette here to remove your post.   

PLEASE take a big breath and understand that the people who have responded are married.   They can look back at their wedding days and tell you what really mattered. 

Can you wear the dress?  Is it stained on the outside beyond anything that can be treated?    What would you do if those stains showed up because someone spilled coffee on you on the morning of your wedding day?  

Look at the good side - you didn't see these in the shop.    That means that to most people, they aren't going to see the stains.

For now, you need to figure out the best way to handle the situation but I can tell you I wouldn't part with that dress for a new one until the new one was in hand and inspected. 
  • @banana468
    i can agree with and respect your response. 
    Listen, I've never done this before and hope to never do it again. 
    Thanks for politely attempting to put this in perspective and give me advice. 

I appreciate you. 

• You don't know me well enough to issue a reality check lady.. you're just a rude and emboldened woman behind a keyboard. 
    Im not irrational and no I was not thinking of the heartbreaking issues some people have come here to share. My circumstances pale in comparison true enough and I get what you're saying but the delivery of your message sucked to be frank. Not helpful at all... 

• Oh FFS. Calm down. Banana did answer your question. You're acting like your dress is ruined and the shop told you to take a long walk off a short pier. They didn't. They offered to replace it. So your alterations are pushed back. So what? This isn't as big a deal as you're thinking it is. Dresses get altered close to weddings all the time! My own dress was only picked up from alterations 3 days before my wedding. Take a deep breath, drink a margarita, and have a cupcake. It's going to be okay.
    DD's was picked up the day before her wedding DSC and she survived!

OP, you were given an answer. Yes you have the right to feel however you feel, but in the long run your wedding day won't be ruined. I agree with PPs' advice on taking the store up on their offer.
  • You don't know me well enough to issue a reality check lady.. you're just a rude and emboldened woman behind a keyboard. 
    Im not irrational and no I was not thinking of the heartbreaking issues some people have come here to share. My circumstances pale in comparison true enough and I get what you're saying but the delivery of your message sucked to be frank. Not helpful at all... 

I was in no way rude to you. I was direct, and offered you advice. I can't help if you decide to read a tone into my words. And yes, you are in need of a reality check. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a disaster. Again, take it from someone that's been married 3 years now - this has not ruined your wedding. Get a grip! 
  • @DrillSergeantCat I wasn't talking to banana!!!! Everyone chill 
  • The above response was too @climbingwife and nobody else!!!! 
    I thanked everyone else for the discussion, IM OK! 
    I was only trying to talk this out with ladies who've been there, get advice that would help me sort this out. 

• @DrillSergeantCat
    thank you for your intervention attempt lol and response as well. 
    I better not eat any cupcakes though girl...  but WINE YES please! 
  • No, I'm clear you're rude. It's all good though... 
    congrats on 3 yrs of marriage. 

• No, I'm clear you're rude. It's all good though... 

Here's a tip:  The Knot's reply function is poop.   If you want your response to be clear that it's to someone who has posted, hit quote and then it's crystal clear.  

I've been married for nearly a decade.   I remember pre wedding stress - so do all the other people who comment.   

Now's the time to be thankful your'e over 21.  It's summer time.   Drink a margarita. 
  • banana468 said:
    No, I'm clear you're rude. It's all good though... 

Here's a tip:  The Knot's reply function is poop.   If you want your response to be clear that it's to someone who has posted, hit quote and then it's crystal clear.  

I've been married for nearly a decade.   I remember pre wedding stress - so do all the other people who comment.   

Now's the time to be thankful your'e over 21.  It's summer time.   Drink a margarita. 
    @banana468
    you ma'am are a gem.. 
    thanks for tutorial as I was clearly lost a goose as it pertains to posts on here. 
    I'm definitely going to need a drink! 
    We're hard at work trying to make this work because after all is said and done I DO need my dress. 
    Thanks again for the kind words and understanding your wisdom and that of the other ladies is appreciated. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    Look, I wore a used dress at my wedding.  It was all I could afford.  I spot cleaned it and made some repairs myself.  I was proud of that dress.  You don't need to do this because the shop has offered to replace and alter your dress.  Accept their offer and be glad nothing worse has happened.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yes it sucks you have to drive all the way back to the shop, but that's kind of the bed you made when you chose to look there. I know it's stressful, but this is far from the worst that could happen. 

Take them up on their offer. They're being very generous! FWIW, I got my dress back from alterations a week before the wedding, so you have plenty of time.
  • Yes it sucks you have to drive all the way back to the shop, but that's kind of the bed you made when you chose to look there. I know it's stressful, but this is far from the worst that could happen. 

Take them up on their offer. They're being very generous! FWIW, I got my dress back from alterations a week before the wedding, so you have plenty of time.
    I am accepting the offer, the reason we chose to go that far out is because the area I currently live in doesn't have dress shops. The nearest places were an hour to 2 hours away I did my best-- Atlanta had multiple options. 
    Boy do I have buyers remorse  lol 
    Bed is definitely made.. definitely stressful. The alterations are going down to the wire but *sigh* it's done. I've got to figure out a way to make the best of this. 
    I know things can be worse. The stories above definitely put things in perspective. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Look, I wore a used dress at my wedding.  It was all I could afford.  I spot cleaned it and made some repairs myself.  I was proud of that dress.  You don't need to do this because the shop has offered to replace and alter your dress.  Accept their offer and be glad nothing worse has happened.

I hear you loud and clear. 
  • I have to wonder exactly what response you were looking for given your reactions to quite reasonable answers. Oh, poor you, let me send you the dress fairy so everything will be fixed without you doing anything? Or, here, use my time machine to go back and inspect your dress at the shop?

I don't get it. You're presumably an adult. Your only options this point are to have the dress cleaned and altered locally and just wear it or take the shop's offer to replace and alter and deal with the inconvenience of driving back and forth to Atlanta. Or, I guess, somehow get another dress locally and eat the cost of the first one. I understand that all of these come with some level of frustration/annoyance, but that's life.