Wedding Woes

My brother has declared war on 'girliness'

2»

Re: My brother has declared war on 'girliness'

• @holyguacamole79 that's such a smart move. I'm contemplating not telling anyone the sex for my next baby so I don't get so many boy or girl specific clothes. 
    My MIL recently got shirts for DS last week that said "hunk" and "future MVP." They went back to the store. 
  • eileenrob said:
    I regret finding out (or I guess telling people) the sex of my first baby.  The baby shower looked like it'd been swallowed by pink, frilly, extremely dressy size 0-3 month dresses.  Two of which my daughter actually wore.  The big bows and the "I'm not allowed to date. Ever." onesies are the dumbest things.
    My son and daughters all rotate between the play kitchen, the tool bench, the doll house, the fire trucks and trains...if they all end up happy, kind, and respectful of others I'm good. 
    I wanted to find "not so girly" clothes for my friends who had girls and it was next to impossible. The gendering of clothes and toys is ridiculous. When my son goes over to play with his friends (a couple of little girls) they just play, they don't play with "boys" toys or "girls" toys.
  • @holyguacamole79 that's such a smart move. I'm contemplating not telling anyone the sex for my next baby so I don't get so many boy or girl specific clothes. 
    My MIL recently got shirts for DS last week that said "hunk" and "future MVP." They went back to the store. 
    I think Carter's is one of the worst offenders for this. Their only gender neutral stuff is in the infant section to cater to people who don't find out until delivery...but BAM. As soon as that baby is known to have a penis or vagina, it's ballerinas, cupcakes, and unicorns vs. dinosaurs, athletics, and cars/trucks

In some ways I blame my own generation for being so obsessed with gender reveal parties. Just making a HUGE deal out of whether it's a boy or girl and then further cementing the "pink is for girls, blue is for boys" with whatever part of the reveal. I basically understand these parties as one more way to throw a ME!! party, which is kind of gross because you're literally leveraging your unborn baby to garner attention. *vent over*
    Seriously. I've made sure Babypants has dump trucks, dinos, and books about construction, architecture, science, and engineering (the Iggy Peck/Rosie Revere/Ada Twist books). Granted, she has unicorn stuff too, but I want her to know from the start she can be interested in absolutely anything she wants - not just ballerinas because she has a vagina. 
    Not gonna lie. If it's a girl I'll be that annoying parent to put my kid in those fluffy skirts. BUT at the same time she'd also be exposed to things like fishing and hunting and stuff M loves to do.

Same as a boy. He'll be exposed to makeup and "girlie" things.

Give the kid exposure to both. Maybe she'll be a great hunter or he'll end up being a high end designer?
    I think Carter's is one of the worst offenders for this. Their only gender neutral stuff is in the infant section to cater to people who don't find out until delivery...but BAM. As soon as that baby is known to have a penis or vagina, it's ballerinas, cupcakes, and unicorns vs. dinosaurs, athletics, and cars/trucks. 

In some ways I blame my own generation for being so obsessed with gender reveal parties. Just making a HUGE deal out of whether it's a boy or girl and then further cementing the "pink is for girls, blue is for boys" with whatever part of the reveal. I basically understand these parties as one more way to throw a ME!! party, which is kind of gross because you're literally leveraging your unborn baby to garner attention. *vent over*
    I very much agree with this. I also think having to have a "girl" nursery and a "boy" nursery is ridiculous. All three of my kids ( a girl and two boys) had the same baby decor which was pink and blue rocking horses. Later on they had stuff they picked out for their rooms. They all played with cars, dolls and kitchen stuff - oh yeah and good old fashioned legos and building blocks! 
  • Not gonna lie. If it's a girl I'll be that annoying parent to put my kid in those fluffy skirts. BUT at the same time she'd also be exposed to things like fishing and hunting and stuff M loves to do.

Give the kid exposure to both. Maybe she'll be a great hunter or he'll end up being a high end designer?
    PG has a lot of pink, frilly, fluffy things. I'm okay with that. I bought her some Juicy Couture onesies and was going to buy some shorts until I saw the back had JUICY emblazoned across the behind. Nope. "Daddy's Little Princess"? Nope. Wonder Woman? You betcha! She still has some of Mouse's hand me downs and I mix them up. I'm also guilty of putting big flowers on her head (not dinner plate sized, though). 
  • Not gonna lie. If it's a girl I'll be that annoying parent to put my kid in those fluffy skirts. BUT at the same time she'd also be exposed to things like fishing and hunting and stuff M loves to do.

PG has a lot of pink, frilly, fluffy things. I'm okay with that. I bought her some Juicy Couture onesies and was going to buy some shorts until I saw the back had JUICY emblazoned across the behind. Nope. "Daddy's Little Princess"? Nope. Wonder Woman? You betcha! She still has some of Mouse's hand me downs and I mix them up. I'm also guilty of putting big flowers on her head (not dinner plate sized, though). 
    Hey if PG likes the headband, why not? There might be only a short time she'll suffice with it ;)

Is the Juicy Couture stuff leopard print? I saw a similar one. I'm not gonna lie, some of the 'girlie' things would be for my benefit. If I have a daughter and she hits the age she wants more input on what she wears and decides "hey I hate wearing this!" I'm not gonna force her :)

We saw a little boy wearing a maxi dress one day. We had the convo on if we'd be cool with him wearing it. We both are, but M said he'd want his son to know not everyone is cool with that as we are so people might be mean

Hey if PG likes the headband, why not? There might be only a short time she'll suffice with it ;)

Is the Juicy Couture stuff leopard print? I saw a similar one. I'm not gonna lie, some of the 'girlie' things would be for my benefit. If I have a daughter and she hits the age she wants more input on what she wears and decides "hey I hate wearing this!" I'm not gonna force her :)

We saw a little boy wearing a maxi dress one day. We had the convo on if we'd be cool with him wearing it. We both are, but M said he'd want his son to know not everyone is cool with that as we are so people might be mean
    Yes, it was. And she wore khaki shorts with it. 
  • @kvruns  "wouldn't you want him to know how to cook for himself?"
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2017
    kvruns said:
    I worry about this a bit with my H. I mentioned something about getting baby B a play kitchen for Christmas in a couple years and he was all aghast about getting him a kitchen because it is more of a girl toy. Uhh really dude? Pretty sure guys (like YOU) cook!! I will win this battle - just have to figure out where it would go 
    Um how can he say no to this cuteness?! 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60319972/

I would totally go overboard on the accessories. Especially the food. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:
    I worry about this a bit with my H. I mentioned something about getting baby B a play kitchen for Christmas in a couple years and he was all aghast about getting him a kitchen because it is more of a girl toy. Uhh really dude? Pretty sure guys (like YOU) cook!! I will win this battle - just have to figure out where it would go 

I had a kitchen as a kid and it had a similar set up but bigger. I still can't cook but my parents remember me pretending I had a cooking show XD
  • A friend just shared a funny story that happened to her today.  She was taking her daughter back-to-school shopping.  Her daughter's favorite character on "Paw Patrol" is the dog with the pink collar (or something).  The mom asked the salesperson where to find the pink shirts for her daughter.  The salesperson replied with, "Just because she's a girl doesn't mean she HAS to wear pink.  Girls can wear blue, you know."  So, according to this salesperson, the daughter is somehow oppressed bc she wants a pink shirt?!?
  • kvruns said:
    I love this company, they have toy sushi!
    https://www.haba.de/en_CA/toys/kitchen-bench/p/008085

•  mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:

Putting that into my list of future Christmas presents for DD!  That is so cute!  H will hate me because it is probably in a million pieces and it will take us forever to put together!

When H was sorta moving in, but not officially, I wanted to get him a dresser for my house. So we went to Ikea and bought one.  It took us a few hours, but we did it.  Afterwards I told him if we can put Ikea together without a fight, there isn't much we can't do together! H still brings that up when we have a big obstacle to overcome together - because together we can do anything! <3

So accurate lmao!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
     mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:

Putting that into my list of future Christmas presents for DD!  That is so cute!  H will hate me because it is probably in a million pieces and it will take us forever to put together!

When H was sorta moving in, but not officially, I wanted to get him a dresser for my house. So we went to Ikea and bought one.  It took us a few hours, but we did it.  Afterwards I told him if we can put Ikea together without a fight, there isn't much we can't do together! H still brings that up when we have a big obstacle to overcome together - because together we can do anything! <3

That's a good attitude!

Geez, I almost feel like I could build a dresser in a few hours!  Well, not ME per se, but someone who knows how to use a saw and screwdriver, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love all of those play kitchen ideas! I see them for sale on my local fb baby page a lot and I'm cheap so I'll probably get one from there LOL or ask the grandparents. I think maybe H is used to seeing the ones that are pink/purple and that is where is mind is going. 
  • kvruns said:
    @kvruns there's a lot more men than women that are professional chefs. i don't get your husband's gendering of that toy either. (MIL made the same justification when she bought one for Wolverine - I asked her why she never got one for nephew, and she said because it was a girl toy.)
  • Play kitchen hack - sew stuff onto a chair cover (or if you don't have that skill, they've got them on Etsy). Right now the "stove" and its young "chef" can be in the kitchen with me while I cook, and the toy takes up zero permanent space in my house.
  • @flantastic I'll have to look into that. I can't sew but my mom can! Although we have bar height/counter height chairs so that might not work in our house
  • I didnt know that @kerbohl, very interesting!