Wedding Woes
Options

Oy. Your sister is a dick.

Dear Prudence,

I got engaged two weeks ago and my parents are throwing my fiancé and me an engagement party to celebrate. My little sister and her boyfriend are “pre-engaged” and seemingly irritated that I “got to go first.” Last week, she announced that they intend to elope, and announce it at my engagement party. My initial reaction was, “That’s like announcing your pregnancy at someone else’s baby shower!” I love my sister, and I am awfully fond of her partner—but I’m irritated that they both think this is an OK thing to do. I don’t want to start an emotional war within my family, but I also want my own thing for one day. Help me find inner peace with this.

–Announcing Elopement

Re: Oy. Your sister is a dick.

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yeah, sister just sounds super immature.  If I was a guest at that party, I'd give her three seconds of my attention to wish her congratulations, but that's be it.
  • Options
    Who wants to guess sisters age? the over/ under is 23. Bets start at 5$
    I'm guessing that if she's not getting a party of her own, she's young, attention seeking AND she makes bad decisions. 
  • Options
    I would say: "Sister, I would appreciate if you found another way to announce your marriage. This is like announcing a pregnancy at someone else's baby shower."

If sister says she's going to do it anyway, she's going to look like a total jackass - people do NOT forget this kind of thing. I'm awful, but if it were me, I would REALLY want to leak the news ahead of time. (FTR, I wouldn't, but so tempting.)
    Yeah, even if sister is the jealous/overreacting type, there's little fault to find with "I would appreciate if you did it differently." That's different than, "You absolutely may not announce your news at my party." It's a request, not an order. Then let whatever happens happen, and be gracious but brief in acknowedgement if she does announce something. If that somehow starts an emotional war in the family, everyone in said family is a little too ridiculous.
  • Options
    I would say: "Sister, I would appreciate if you found another way to announce your marriage. This is like announcing a pregnancy at someone else's baby shower."

If sister says she's going to do it anyway, she's going to look like a total jackass - people do NOT forget this kind of thing. I'm awful, but if it were me, I would REALLY want to leak the news ahead of time. (FTR, I wouldn't, but so tempting.)
    Yeah, even if sister is the jealous/overreacting type, there's little fault to find with "I would appreciate if you did it differently." That's different than, "You absolutely may not announce your news at my party." It's a request, not an order. Then let whatever happens happen, and be gracious but brief in acknowedgement if she does announce something. If that somehow starts an emotional war in the family, everyone in said family is a little too ridiculous.
    I would want to stop the music as soon as she says something and have a track where it's literally crickets chirping. I'm a bitch though so...
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    Who wants to guess sisters age? the over/ under is 23. Bets start at 5$

I'll take the under for $20, lol.  I should really do $100.  I feel like it's an almost sure thing.

Edited to add:  Lots of awesome, mature people under 23.  But for some, it takes a bit more age and wisdom to leave jr. high attitudes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Um... let little sister look like an idiot because everyone knows elopements aren't announced because that's the fucking definition of eloping?
  • Options
    Um... let little sister look like an idiot because everyone knows elopements aren't announced because that's the fucking definition of eloping?

As a guest, I would give a side-eye to either an elopement or engagement announcement...at someone else's engagement party.

But it would be a "bigger" side-eye for an elopement announcement, for exactly this reason.

I also can't help but wonder if sister's b/f is even aware they are "pre-engaged", lol.  He might be the one MOST surprised by that announcement!

Wedding Countdown Ticker