Wedding Woes
Options

I don't get this- vent

I teach first grade religion. I also have a hotmail account that often gets sent to spam when I send a group email. I sent my welcome email and asked parents to give me a quick reply that they got it and if there's was anything I needed to know before the school year starts. 

After weeks of sending emails to three parents, checking with the office to verify, sending individual emails, etc I finally got them to respond. One person was "sorry I've been busy.  Yes I got them". Dude, I'm busy too but I would be less busy if I wasn't trying to track you down. The other two parents basically said the email they gave is their junk account and they never check it.

I totally get having a junk email account, but why would you give it to your church and the people that will be teaching your kids every week?!  I don't need to communicate often, but I do need to occasionally send them stuff. One of them did offer an alternate address, but the other didn't. 

Re: I don't get this- vent

• Options
    6fsn said:
    I teach first grade religion. I also have a hotmail account that often gets sent to spam when I send a group email. I sent my welcome email and asked parents to give me a quick reply that they got it and if there's was anything I needed to know before the school year starts. 

After weeks of sending emails to three parents, checking with the office to verify, sending individual emails, etc I finally got them to respond. One person was "sorry I've been busy.  Yes I got them". Dude, I'm busy too but I would be less busy if I wasn't trying to track you down. The other two parents basically said the email they gave is their junk account and they never check it.

I totally get having a junk email account, but why would you give it to your church and the people that will be teaching your kids every week?!  I don't need to communicate often, but I do need to occasionally send them stuff. One of them did offer an alternate address, but the other didn't. 
    I love that.
    I dont know why they didn't give you their regular account!  I will admit though, I'm AWFUL at getting back to emails.  And like, my whole work day could be spent doing it. 

• Options
    6fsn said:

I have one of these too, but I don't give it out to anyone except retailers. Holy Hell. My kid's school does everything via gmail lists so I gave my proper gmail address that goes to my phone, not the one I check once a month. 
  • Options
    That's frustrating.   They're probably the same people who will be upset if there's a policy that they don't know about.  And it makes you want to say, "I just want to make sure that you put communication regarding your child's faith to be up there with a new Macy's sale." 

Our religious ed requires that you walk your kids to the door.   Class starts at 4:30 and my kid is 6.   I have no issue with this.   Every year they do a parent meeting and the director reiterated the policy.   She then referenced that last year a parent didn't pay attention to the school closings, didn't know that religious ed was cancelled, dropped her kid off and drove off.   Luckily the kid wasn't stuck outside for an hour and 15 minutes in the dark but it was a nice reminder to the parents who sat there and decided not to follow the rules. 

• Options
    I don't know if the church is trying to switch just to digital communications to save money or what, but our daycare puts important notices on paper and in my kid's stuff that we take home every day, so I can't avoid it. Maybe if someone doesn't answer your email in 3 days, you print that shit and put it in the kid's stuff....or physically hand it to the parent when they drop off/pick up. 

Still super annoying though. And a lot more totally unnecessary work for you.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Right there with ya. I'm in charge of RA's and GA's at my church, and we can't even get a lot of parents to fill out registration sheets at all. I finally offered a full size candy bar to the kids to bring theirs back in filled out, it worked for about 90%, but only about half of them put an email address down. Its hard to reach some of them when last minute things come up, it would make it easier for me and them if they would give and check their emails!
  • Options
    @banana468 We have the same times and the same drop off/pick up policy for 1-3.  We also have he policy that the PARENT has to pick up not an older sibling.  We had a parent go off on us last year when she had to get out of the car and come in. 

@southernbelle0915 There are 800+ students.  Printing that much is costly and wasteful when an email should suffice.  On that note, I am a volunteer. I am with their kid one day a week.  I have enough other crap in my life to keep straight.  I refuse to be bothered with someone else's kid.  I also refuse to use my paper and ink for a lazy parent. 
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2017
    I wouldn't respond to that email. Why? Idk maybe I'm just the worst but it strikes me as completely unnecessary. Like, no I'm not going to email you just to tell you I got your email and it's weird you are asking me to. You're just teaching Sunday school. And if you're the one who's so concerned about critical emails going through stop using an account you know often gets sent to spam. 
  • Options

The junk accounts is what I find the most puzzling.  I have a "semi" junk account, that also gets info I want.  Like shop postings for the mystery shopping companies I'm with.  I often check it a few times a day, but not always.

But I also have my important e-mail folder.  Those are for messages I want to receive right away and I'm VERY select on where I submit that e-mail address.  Exactly so I don't overlook important messages in the "clutter".

Ummm...an organization taking care of my hypothetical children would strongly fall in that "important e-mail" category. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't respond to that email. Why? Idk maybe I'm just the worst but it strikes me as completely unnecessary. Like, no I'm not going to email you just to tell you I got your email and it's weird you are asking me to. You're just teaching Sunday school. and if you're the one who's so concerned about critical emails going through stop using an account you know often gets sent to spam. 

Really?  You're kid is with me every week for 9 months and you don't want to make sure I can reach you if there is a problem?  A change of classroom location? A party?

I'm fine if people think I'm weird for asking, but is it really that hard to respond?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    6fsn said:
    @banana468 We have the same times and the same drop off/pick up policy for 1-3.  We also have he policy that the PARENT has to pick up not an older sibling.  We had a parent go off on us last year when she had to get out of the car and come in. 

@southernbelle0915 There are 800+ students.  Printing that much is costly and wasteful when an email should suffice.  On that note, I am a volunteer. I am with their kid one day a week.  I have enough other crap in my life to keep straight.  I refuse to be bothered with someone else's kid.  I also refuse to use my paper and ink for a lazy parent. 
    I totally get it and I hear your vent. I guess I was just trying to help with solutions if you absolutely HAVE to get the message to the parents who don't respond. If they don't absolutely have to know whatever it is, then oh well, they'll just be uninformed. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2017
    6fsn said:
    I wouldn't respond to that email. Why? Idk maybe I'm just the worst but it strikes me as completely unnecessary. Like, no I'm not going to email you just to tell you I got your email and it's weird you are asking me to. You're just teaching Sunday school. and if you're the one who's so concerned about critical emails going through stop using an account you know often gets sent to spam. 

Really?  You're kid is with me every week for 9 months and you don't want to make sure I can reach you if there is a problem?  A change of classroom location? A party?

I'm fine if people think I'm weird for asking, but is it really that hard to respond?
    Eh? Sure, I gave you my email. I'd probably skip right over the completely unnecessary step of replying just to say "got your email." To me that's an unusual and silly make work request. Again, it's just Sunday school, so I don't actually see why you'd ever need to email me. If the room changes put a note on the door. Like, I wouldn't refuse on principal but I'd totally not prioritize even thinking about this. I really don't get why you need a response like this, no one else I give my email address to ever asks me to do this. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't respond to that email. Why? Idk maybe I'm just the worst but it strikes me as completely unnecessary. Like, no I'm not going to email you just to tell you I got your email and it's weird you are asking me to. You're just teaching Sunday school. And if you're the one who's so concerned about critical emails going through stop using an account you know often gets sent to spam. 
    So if a school teacher said, "Please just let me know that you got this so I know my emails are reaching you," you plan to be THAT parent who just doesn't respond because you're too good to respond?   Yeah, maybe you're not the worst but if that was the attitude displayed to me as a teacher I'd put you in the "one of those parents" categories in my head.     

FWIW, I'm the parent who had issues receiving mass emails from my daughter's elementary school when she was in K.   It was the district's email account and teachers had no choice about what account to use.   And still DH would have to forward me emails that he knew I wasn't getting because something was wonky.    
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    So if a school teacher said, "Please just let me know that you got this so I know my emails are reaching you," you plan to be THAT parent who just doesn't respond because you're too good to respond?   Yeah, maybe you're not the worst but if that was the attitude displayed to me as a teacher I'd put you in the "one of those parents" categories in my head.     

FWIW, I'm the parent who had issues receiving mass emails from my daughter's elementary school when she was in K.   It was the district's email account and teachers had no choice about what account to use.   And still DH would have to forward me emails that he knew I wasn't getting because something was wonky.    
    An actual school teacher? Sure I'd reply.  But Sunday school? Why all the fuss about emails? I'd prob reply eventually but I think it's really weird to be this insistent people confirm receipt of an email. 
  • Options
    I mean it's required if they want to take their first commion.  There are other events besides classroom work. it's also mass chaos at drop off and pick up so notes on the door just really don't work. 

im also not a paid employee. I'm a volunteer typing in an email and I want to make sure I'm not messing up the address. If you think it's silly so be it. 
  • Options
    I've felt frustration similar to yours.  Not every time, but quite often, it's the parents I really need to speak with (their kid is failing three subjects/is late every day/always cuts last period, etc) that are the hardest to get a hold of.  It's hard to relate, since on the parent side of things, I give a response quickly.

• Options
    banana468 said:

An actual school teacher? Sure I'd reply.  But Sunday school? Why all the fuss about emails? I'd prob reply eventually but I think it's really weird to be this insistent people confirm receipt of an email. 
    I feel the opposite.  "Actual school" is required by law, parents get in trouble if their kid isn't in first grade.  Maybe this bothers them so their revenge is deciding to be unresponsive.  Sunday school is a choice. Parents care enough to find one and bring their kids to and from and pay for it, but not to have an open, cordial relationship with the teacher?
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Yeah, that would be the attitude I'd love if I was teaching religious education.   "You're not an actual teacher.   Just the one instructing my child in faith formation."  

Okay. But I taught Sunday school at 14 with no training, so I have zero qualms about stating that an actual school teacher is a higher priority than the volunteer Sunday school program to me. Like I said, I'd probably reply eventually, but I'm not making any particular effort to comply with silly busy work requests from a Sunday school teacher. 
  • Options
    it's more than Sunday school. I'm catholic. It's required if you want to become a full member of the church. You cannot recieve the last 2 sacraments of initiation without this instruction. There are no 14 year olds teaching. 

Ive actually signed up for a few classes so that I'll be a paid chatecist. 
  • Options
    And I do agree the actual elementary teachers deserve a higet priority. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    I mean it's required if they want to take their first commion.  There are other events besides classroom work. it's also mass chaos at drop off and pick up so notes on the door just really don't work. 

im also not a paid employee. I'm a volunteer typing in an email and I want to make sure I'm not messing up the address. If you think it's silly so be it. 
    If this email was so important that these children literally cannot take their first communion without their parents reading it and confirming receipt of it, I would expect another method of communication to the parents who did not respond and you've said there are three of them. Three. 

Look, I'm totally on board with the vent, that this is frustrating, and I get that you're a volunteer. But there are only 3 busy/forgetful/spam box parents we're talking about here. So print the email for the 3 families and be done with it. 

ETA: and drop off/pick up may be hectic, so if you can't hand them a piece of paper, make a phone call. Again, it's 3 families.
    The class is required not the acknowledgement of the email. I know you're not being combative. Also your signature seems appropriate. 

• Options
    6fsn said:
    it's more than Sunday school. I'm catholic. It's required if you want to become a full member of the church. You cannot recieve the last 2 sacraments of initiation without this instruction. There are no 14 year olds teaching. 

Don't the kids just piggyback with the closest Catholic school? When we were having first Communion and Confirmation, there were a couple of kids from Public school at our retreats and classes with the priest. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:

Don't the kids just piggyback with the closest Catholic school? When we were having first Communion and Confirmation, there were a couple of kids from Public school at our retreats and classes with the priest. 
    We don't.   Our Catholic church instructs on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.  The religious ed instruction is a separate program.  The closest Catholic school isn't in town.
  • Options
    @TrixieJess our parish doesn't have any school affiliated with it. Kids going to catholic school have youth group nights at the church but not Psr because they get the instruction at school. I honestly don't know when they do sacraments but it's not with Psr kids. We have classes for grades 1-8 twice a day on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. It's a massive undertaking. 
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    Could you add read receipts instead of asking for an email in return? I love read receipts because I get to know and there is no additional effort on the person on the other end.
    If I knew how...... It was just the first email I wanted a response. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2017
    @6fsn - i don't think a one-off e-mail to the parents asking for confirmation that the address is valid/there's nothing you need to know is unreasonable. Considering how many e-mails we've missed from daycare and school, that use services to mass e-mail the parents, a one time follow-up on an introductory e-mail is NBD. 

I don't know why yinz are feeding the troll. STARMOON44 is just trying to start shit. 

ETA: I wouldn't bother with multiple follow-ups (especially via e-mail) - if you get a chance to ask in person, great, and then drop it going forward. You have enough other stuff to worry about, and it's nice of you to volunteer your time. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    @TrixieJess our parish doesn't have any school affiliated with it. Kids going to catholic school have youth group nights at the church but not Psr because they get the instruction at school. I honestly don't know when they do sacraments but it's not with Psr kids. We have classes for grades 1-8 twice a day on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. It's a massive undertaking. 
    Sounds like. In our Catholic schools, it's built into the curriculum. You still have to take the classes even if you opt out of tge sacraments.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    @6fsn - i don't think a one-off e-mail to the parents asking for confirmation that the address is valid/there's nothing you need to know is unreasonable. Considering how many e-mails we've missed from daycare and school, that use services to mass e-mail the parents, a one time follow-up on an introductory e-mail is NBD. 

I don't know why yinz are feeding the troll. STARMOON44 is just trying to start shit. 

ETA: I wouldn't bother with multiple follow-ups (especially via e-mail) - if you get a chance to ask in person, great, and then drop it going forward. You have enough other stuff to worry about, and it's nice of you to volunteer your time. 

Uhhh what? Not trolling, I just disagree with the consensus on this one. I basically agree with your point- no need for multiple follow ups.