Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

It's my day off, woo!  I'm about to shower and head out to do some shopping.

I haven't decided if I'm going to be 'good' and just go to Trader Joe's and Bath and Body Works or if I'm going to be 'bad' and go to Nordstrom Rack.  I might wait for DH and my afternoon off together on Friday (I'm going to play hooky) and we'll go to the Rack together. He wants new clothes for his new gig.  

He found out that he gets his own office.  Like what??? ;)  

OH and get this shit...so I told y'all yesterday how this new system is being implemented at his job.  DH says on the level of start-up (he knows, as  he helped open the building) and it's almost a bigger mess since it was pushed through even though they weren't ready and/or given the support.  His Ops Manager, a position for which DH was passed over and she's only been there about 2 months, left on Monday at noon to get lunch.  She sent a text to the director and another manager and said she wasn't coming back due to an 'emergency' and hasn't been heard from since.  

DH found out before this that the director hasn't been happy with her so far for other reasons.  All I can do is laugh and shake my head.  Same with DH.  It's like Rome burning and he's got a lifeline.  :D  He feels bad for his co-supe that he's leaving behind and some of the associates.  He jokingly has told them his 'price' to stay and adds $5k each time. 

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    I vote Nordstrom Rack, but if your DH actually wants to go I miiiight wait for him. 

Not much today. My Fitbit died (like totally dead & outside of warranty), but surprisingly (because it was their fault) they're giving me either a replacement or 50% off any new one. H and I had a little tiff about it last night that I'm still annoyed with. He thinks I should just get the same model (which will be my 3rd Charge HR) and I want to upgrade to the Charge 2. He was a little snarky about it "if you really think it's worth it go ahead, but we have to think about how we're spending money". Which I read as "You don't think about how you're spending money" and it bugs me. He's more of a saver, but I've gotten A LOT better; and we're talking like $75 here, which doesn't break the bank for us. 

WWTKD?

• Options
    I vote Nordstrom Rack, but if your DH actually wants to go I miiiight wait for him. 

Not much today. My Fitbit died (like totally dead & outside of warranty), but surprisingly (because it was their fault) they're giving me either a replacement or 50% off any new one. H and I had a little tiff about it last night that I'm still annoyed with. He thinks I should just get the same model (which will be my 3rd Charge HR) and I want to upgrade to the Charge 2. He was a little snarky about it "if you really think it's worth it go ahead, but we have to think about how we're spending money". Which I read as "You don't think about how you're spending money" and it bugs me. He's more of a saver, but I've gotten A LOT better; and we're talking like $75 here, which doesn't break the bank for us. 

WWTKD?

I have the fitbit flex, so I don't really know what the charge hr or charge 2 is (is HR heart rate monitor?) but I, personally, would pay a bit more for a better model or a model that did more.  I'm all about loads of features.

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2017
    Our Honda needs the airbag recall repair done on it and the dealership where we purchased the car is down the street from the Rack.  So I made an appt for the repair on Friday.  We'll just have to take two cars and 'wander' over that way while we wait.  ;) 

And @CharmedPam, I could fill a BOOK with the fuckery that place has come up with on the regular.  DH says is has been his worst experience at a job, ever.  But he's learned a lot from it, especially the 'don'ts' of so many things.  Chaos is their norm.  
  • Options

WWTKD?

I have the fitbit flex, so I don't really know what the charge hr or charge 2 is (is HR heart rate monitor?) but I, personally, would pay a bit more for a better model or a model that did more.  I'm all about loads of features.
    Yep, I'd go with the upgraded model and tell H to shove it. ;)  Well maybe not the second part, but I'm not above a middle finger when the back is turned.  :D 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 your H sure got out I. The nick of time. I would laugh so hard if that lady just never comes back, never clears out her desk, not phone call, nothing.

@charlotte989875 I would get the upgrade.

Sorry your lunch was a disappointment @CharmedPam

DH's guitar arrived today (safe and sound, which was a concern since amazon refused to ship it to our forwarding mail service address). He also went out and bought himself an amp and just keeps telling me what a great job I did picking out his birthday present. I still feel bad but he is happy so whatevers. 

Aramex says our package was delivered to DH's cousin yesterday afternoon but I haven't heard anything from her yet. I am going to wait another day and then reach out to see if she actually go it.

other than that, ssdd. Thinking of skipping my lesson tonight because I really just want to drinks beers and read a smutty novel but DH is fiddling around with his guitar and that might drive me crazy, lol.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

WWTKD?

Yep, I'd go with the upgraded model and tell H to shove it. ;)  Well maybe not the second part, but I'm not above a middle finger when the back is turned.  :D 
    Yup this is where I'm at. He's also a Luddite and doesn't care about features. I like them.

@CharmedPam the HR is the old heartrate monitor fitbit, and the Charge 2 is the upgraded model of the same one, but with improvements and more features.  
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 I vote wait for your H. He needs/deserves some retail therapy after leaving that mess ;)

@charlotte989875 pros and cons list. I think it would be worth the money given how yours has had to change/be replaced/fixed more than 2x now

@CharmedPam I totally get the argument about that though. You're paying the same price. Wtf?

Did nothing last night. Should have done laundry at least. Now I have so much to do tonight *sigh*

This weekend is going to be some serious cleaning. We're being on so much housework and my uncle is coming next week to watch cats at our place, so I wanna get stuff done before he comes.

SSDD at work. I have filing to do that needs to be priority.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

WWTKD?

Yup this is where I'm at. He's also a Luddite and doesn't care about features. I like them.

@CharmedPam the HR is the old heartrate monitor fitbit, and the Charge 2 is the upgraded model of the same one, but with improvements and more features.  
    What's that?
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

What's that?
    Someone opposed to increased industrialization or technology.

Comes from English textile workers in the 19th century who were opposed to machinery because they believed (and weren't entirely wrong) that it would threaten their jobs. Many went so far as destroying machinery to stop progress. 
  • Options

I got a ton done last night and I was exhausted by bed!  I was able to finally make my friend her lactation cookies.  I also processed my tomato sauce through the strainer attachment on my kitchen aid to get rid of the seeds and skins.  It will cook more today.  I will season it and add tomato paste tonight.  Tomorrow will be canning it all!

This morning, I vacuumed up my friends cookies so they stay fresh.  I boxed them up too and have them all sealed to take to the post office at lunch time.  If I had time this evening, I would have dropped them off, but it yoga night.  And then tomorrow, I have to can all the tomato sauce.  She will get them faster, if I mail them!

MrsConn - DH is getting out at the right time!  He should moonwalk out of that place on his last day!

• Options
    I am miserably sick, and it's my day off and I have to take the child to the dentist....which is the suck, because there is usually screaming.
  • Options

I got a ton done last night and I was exhausted by bed!  I was able to finally make my friend her lactation cookies.  I also processed my tomato sauce through the strainer attachment on my kitchen aid to get rid of the seeds and skins.  It will cook more today.  I will season it and add tomato paste tonight.  Tomorrow will be canning it all!

This morning, I vacuumed up my friends cookies so they stay fresh.  I boxed them up too and have them all sealed to take to the post office at lunch time.  If I had time this evening, I would have dropped them off, but it yoga night.  And then tomorrow, I have to can all the tomato sauce.  She will get them faster, if I mail them!

MrsConn - DH is getting out at the right time!  He should moonwalk out of that place on his last day!

I need to know about these cookies!

It's awesome that you're canning!  I had aspirations to do so much this fall, but now with moving I doubt I will have much time. Maybe when we process our chickens I will get a chance to can some of that. 
  • Options

@CharmedPam Their "reasoning" is because fruit is so much pricier than potatoes, but I agree it's ridiculous. How is the low carb thing working for you?
    I dunno, the size of the fruit dish really make me question that.  It is TINY (the one I got yesterday, but that seems to be the case in all restaurants).  low carbing is really difficult to be honest.  Although, tonight H and i are driving 1 hour to a place that sells "low carb bread co" products and I heard the bread/pasta is really good so it may help when I cook at home.  FX. It's 1 hour away! but shipping was $25 so I'm driving to the place instead.

GL at the doc's!

• Options
    Went rollerblading this morning. I was 1.5 miles in and wiped out. I've got road rash the size of my hand just below my left butt check. That was the end of today's workout. 
  • Options
    Good vibes to you and your H @kwiksilver hope the doctor has a good prognosis 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

What's that?
    Someone opposed to increased industrialization or technology.

Comes from English textile workers in the 19th century who were opposed to machinery because they believed (and weren't entirely wrong) that it would threaten their jobs. Many went so far as destroying machinery to stop progress. 
    Ohhh okay. At first I was thinking maybe similar to Amish, but then .... not so much :| 
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    I am miserably sick, and it's my day off and I have to take the child to the dentist....which is the suck, because there is usually screaming.
    All the hugs and vibes to you <3
  • Options
    I'm irritated and it's bad enough I'm having to reach out to my friend who provides my gut checks to make sure I'm not being irrational.  Basically I've been asked to help plan a Toys for Tots event.  They want me b/c I'm good at planning these types of things and they want to grow it.  But FFS, when I tell you how to do this thing you want to do (VIP event), don't come at me with reasons you can't do the thing that are BS reasons (reserved tables will upset bad regulars).  And when I deal with your reasons appropriately (meaning I didn't fly off the handle, I calmly explained, "here is how to work around that"), don't passive aggressively post something in our FB group about how we all need to be respectful.  How about, I agree with your passive aggressive nonsense.  Respect MY experience, expertise, AND TIME, since y'all asked me here.  I'm practically a semi-professional at this stuff and I'm volunteering.  This isn't my reputation or event and I have no need to impress who you want to impress.  Grrr.

I like...need a break from the world for awhile.  Work is intense, K and I are going through some pains (just b/c of her working nights now), and I'm tired.  

Other than all of that, SSDD.
  • Options

WWTKD?

Get the Charge 2, or even a Blaze.  I'm a gadget lover, but I love pretty much everything about my Blaze.  Tell him you've thought it through and decided it's a worthwhile expense for you.

mrsconn23 said:
    Our Honda needs the airbag recall repair done on it and the dealership where we purchased the car is down the street from the Rack.  So I made an appt for the repair on Friday.  We'll just have to take two cars and 'wander' over that way while we wait.  ;)   

Our Honda's airbag is gonna kill us too apparently.  I swear that car has a new recall every 6 months.

AFM, the family has the sniffles, and DD has a viral resp infection and an ear infection.  So she's whiny and miserable (justifiably).  We took her to emergency yesterday cause her breathing sounded terrible and she had a slight tracheal tug, but her O2 saturation is good so we got prescriptions and sent home.

I needed to escape last night cause the cling and the whine was getting to me, so I ran stairs in a rainy windstorm last night.  My legs are pretty sore today, but I feel great and slept amazing after getting outside.  I'm playing in a ball tournament this weekend and the weather is not looking great, highs of 50F (10C), but closer to freezing in the mornings.

Free food truck lunch at work today though as a result of an excellent production and safety summer, so I'm looking forward to some satay and gelato.

• Options
    ((Hugs)) Varuna. It sounds like you could use a break from planning shit for a while, or not for friends at least.

DHs cousin contacted me and she loves everything. She said my quilt was "heirloom worthy". Best compliment ever! I am so happy she likes it, :D 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    @mrsconn23 It's hilarious that she literally just flew the coop!  Who even does that?  Glad your DH is getting out of that disaster. 

That's pretty much what I said.  Seriously, WHO does that at that level?!  

DH did tell me that they've had 3-4 associates quit this week.  They get to the end of the shift and say they won't be back the next day.  It's hard to blame them.  Even with overtime, they don't get paid enough to put up with this kind of ongoing BS with no end in sight. 

One guy who quit yesterday had an interview today for another job.  DH was like, "Hey good for you and good luck!  I'm getting out too!"  LOL 

As crazy as I think that is, I've had it happen twice with jobs I was interviewing for!

Had an interview with AppleOne, a placement agency, for inside sales and interviewing candidates.  But it was a job with their company, not one of their clients.  Got a rejection letter in the mail about a week later.  Then, got a frantic call from the manager the day after I got the letter.  The person they had hired came in on her first day.  She gave some excuse about having recently misplaced her driver's license and didn't have a picture ID for the employment paperwork, but would immediately go down to the DMV and have a new one printed.  She was coming right back.  Never returned.  Wouldn't return their calls, lol.  So the manager offered me the job after all.  I only worked there for 6 months, but at least gave them two weeks notice before I left!

As an aside, I specifically told them that, while I didn't mind doing occasional cold calls, I wasn't interested in the position if that is what it primarily was.  "Oh no, no, no.  Not at all!  You will have a list of companies who are already our clients!  These are warm calls occasionally to them to find out what their current staffing needs are."  Their definition of "client" was loose.  Like, if anybody had ever made even one phone call to the company, they were a "client".  These were calls so cold, I better not put my tongue on them or it would get stuck.  Super hateful.  I wish I'd walked out on the first day also, lol.

A friend had highly recommended me to the investment firm she was working at and gave them my resume.  I was called in for an interview with the Office Manager for a software training position.  I went through a MONTH of interviewing.  I interviewed with four different people.  Only to get a rejection call at the end from the same Office Manager I interviewed with first.

She flat out told me she was pretty annoyed they hadn't hired me, because she thought I would have been great.  That they didn't even have any other candidates and now she had to start from scratch.  I'm sure she wasn't supposed to speak out of turn like that, lol!  But it was good to know.  2/4 interviewers had thought I was perfect.  The other 2 thought I was a great candidate in most aspects of the job, except my training experience was just a little too light.

I found out from my friend that they brought someone on board for this position about a month later.  That person did have a lot of training experience, pfft.  Except they only worked there for two weeks and then, a bit before lunch, said she just couldn't take the job anymore...it was too stressful (nothing about this job sounded that stressful)...and she wasn't coming back.  When I heard this, I was hopeful they might call me back in.  But they didn't :(.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@charlotte989875, I also think you should get the newer model, since it fits comfortably in the budget.  Plus a refurbished model is usually not going to last as long as a new model.  And you are already out of warranty.  I think $75 is money well spent, in this situation.  You can tell your H he's being "penny-wise and pound-foolish" ;).

@CharmedPam, but sticking to low carbs!  Yay!  I'm actually just glad when they give fruit as an option for a side.  I like fruit a lot better than potatoes.  But I hear you.  It's always miniscule and, at least from restaurants, never seems to be as fresh as I'd like.

@kwiksilver, I hope it is good news for both doctor appointments!

@6fsn, oof!  I winced reading your post, lol.  Hope the road rash heals quickly.

@VarunaTT, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations with the Toys for Tots!  After this one, I think you need to take a break from all the volunteer organizing you do.  It's awesome you give so much back to your community, but there is only so much stress one person can take!

@missJeanLouise, that is an amazing compliment!  I'm glad your DH's cousin really liked her gift and appreciated the hard work you put into it.

Busy day at work.  Feels good to be productive for a change, lol.  Not too much going on.  I got my paycheck yesterday and used it to make a good sized payment on my HELOC.

Though that HELOC is a monster and reminds me of the old adage about elephants.  "How do you eat an elephant?"  "One bite at a time".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Soccer roster for this weekend came out....asshole dad is on our team. Dh and I are now negotiating who has to go to those games. We've already agreed to wait for the dad to pick spot then get as far away as possible. 

I also got got a text from Dh that his brother is going to be a second time grandpa at 38. The mom is maybe 19 now? It makes me sad for her. 
  • Options

Kwiksilver - I got the recipe from my lactation consultant, but there are lots of recipes online.  They have a few specialized ingredients - like Brewer's yeast and flax seed meal, but for the most part everything in them is from a regular cookie recipe.  I got my special ingredients from Amazon.  I tasted one after I baked them and they were good, but I didn't want to have too much in case I sprung a leak! LOL!  It was hard because they made the house smell so good!  I might need to make my own batch of cookies!  Good luck to you both at your appointments today!

Varuna - Why can't they just follow your advice???  You obviously know what you are doing!  Instead of engaging, I would just say "T4T you contacted me to help you get a better turnout for your fundraiser.  This is what I always do, with good results.  Take it or leave it!"  FWIW, I don't think you are overreacting!

jh715 - Yay to free food trucks!

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2017
    Hello strangers.

Mom update:  She is finally home.   She was in the hospital for 5 weeks.  She still has the bag and is in pain, but is improving.    Supposably she was told she didn't have diet restrictions.    Well maybe technically that is correct, but just because you can eat what you want, doesn't mean you should eat what you want.   It's so frustrating.   I even asked my dad is it was a good idea to get mom a nutritionist.   He responded that I need to check my spelling (auto-correct changed a word) before sending, but ignored the question.   :(

Hurricane:   They all survived the hurricanes.  Yes 2 Cat 5 hurricanes in 2 weeks.  Just hoping they survive the aftermath.  Some of left island.  Others are staying.   Ones with kids are rushing to get their kids into schools in the states while living with family.    Some will not have power for 8 months or more.   Some resorts will not open for 12-18 months.  No jobs in the mean time.  

It's so heartbreaking.  That said, the strength of some of friends is inspiring.  Everything they knew is gone, but they are just plowing through to find a new normal.

The boat I worked on for over decade has a huge hole in the hull, no mast and on a beach.  Which FUCKING PISSED me off. We had a super safe spot.  Tons of anchors and lines labeled all ready to go.    However, the boat was sold and the new owners left it completely exposed on a mooring.  I'm not even sure if they even added another anchor.

I'm not saying it would be completely intact where we use to put the boat during a hurricane, but it would be in better shape.  Especially after seeing some of the other boats located where we use to put her made out.   Even more heartbreak.   It was such a fun time of my life.  Best job ever.

Work:  coming to an end.  Down to 3 days of work a week.  Next week I only expect 2 or maybe even none.   Then starting Oct 3 I'm switching between vacation and staycation until December 1.  Trips include Tx, RV to CA and now back east to see the family.   

Hiking - so far I've done 8 14er summits.   Trying to get one more in before the snow gets too bad.     Last week I went to the San Juan mountains with a friend.     So beautiful.    Was on this crazy highway called the Million Dollar Highway.  If you are afraid of heights and drop off, it's not for you.  

Hope all is well.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    jh715 said:

WWTKD?

Get the Charge 2, or even a Blaze.  I'm a gadget lover, but I love pretty much everything about my Blaze.  Tell him you've thought it through and decided it's a worthwhile expense for you.

How do you like the Blaze? I was looking at that one, too, but it seems big. 
  • Options

@charlotte989875, I also think you should get the newer model, since it fits comfortably in the budget.  Plus a refurbished model is usually not going to last as long as a new model.  And you are already out of warranty.  I think $75 is money well spent, in this situation.  You can tell your H he's being "penny-wise and pound-foolish" ;).

My thoughts, exactly!