Wedding Woes

Maybe you can make it, but time apart may help.

Dear Prudence,
I have been with my fiancé for almost four years. He’s smart, funny, generous, and attentive. He also has some problems with drinking and a wicked temper. These problems have come to a head before, with a couple of drunken tantrums over the years. This past weekend, it was worse than it’s ever been, and he put me through a wall. I’m OK physically now.

The next day, he poured out the rest of his liquor cabinet (I rarely drink) and called a counselor to help him manage his anger. I never thought I’d be the type of woman to stay in this kind of circumstance, but his actions did not make leaving less complicated. We still bought a house two months ago, we’re still getting married in February, and of course, I still love him. My question: Am I deluded for thinking we can get past this? For thinking it won’t happen again?

–Shocked and Hurt

Re: Maybe you can make it, but time apart may help.

• Honestly, I wouldn't want to make it work if I was put through a wall.
    I'm sure at some point I would wonder, especially if the person is making a real effort and progress with fixing the issue but the fear, lack of trust, plus feeling like I'm walking on egg shells is exhausting.
  • I think she's realizing that she's stepping into a hot mess.

I would not trust myself with someone like that.   I WAS with someone with a volatile temper and there's no way that I could trust that it wouldn't continue.   

He would need to show major signs of change I would need to have a lot of faith - I'm a little to realistic to have that much faith.
  • I would not trust him to not do it again. Sure he will likely play nice for a while and maybe stop drinking but more than likely he will decide to start again. And when he starts again, or you even think he might be, you will be nervous that it is going to happen again. Living a life walking on eggshells is not fun and it will start to grate on her.   I know people can change and maybe he will but that is going to take a long time and it won't be an easy road. 
  • DTMFA. 

But I'm a bitch, so there's that. 
  • Move out. Postpone the wedding (at least). Get counseling. If he is serious about changing, he can do it away from you.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    If he is serious about stopping his drinking and getting help for his anger, I would potentially stay in the relationship with caveats.  First, postpone the wedding.  Second, either move out of the house entirely or move to a separate bedroom.  Third, BF must attend his counseling meetings as often as recommended.  Fourth, must also attend AA.  If BF shows and continues to show progress in his treatments, I would reconsider the marriage.  If he falters at any time, its done.

I'm with @OliveOilsMom on this.  I'm the eternal optimistic who wants to believe in people that say they are going to change.  Though not believe in them over and over.  But maybe this is the wake-up call for him.  It also sounds like this was the first time he had physically assaulted her in their 4 years together.

I'd give him another chance, but with serious and severe caveats like the post above.

And she DEFINITELY needs to postpone the wedding!!!  No question there.  February is too soon to determine if he really is able to control/stop his alcohol and control his temper.  I would want to see at least one year of positive changes, before I'd even set another date and start planning for a wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker