Wedding Woes

Wait, it's Monday again?

How did that happen? How was everyone's weekend? 

Ours was good, stayed in Friday night, saw TSO and went out to dinner Saturday night. TSO was weird, but dinner was amazing. Yesterday went and saw my sister and the babe while watching the Bills game.

I finally finished the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel! It was hilarious and I can't wait until the next season. 

Re: Wait, it's Monday again?

• edited December 2017
    Sounds like a great weekend Charlotte!

TSO is weird. (I am a scrooge so biased) 1. I hate the narrator (not personally just it ruins it for me) 2. The whole thing is better with earplugs 3. I love LOVE luv their crew and catering. 

Our weekend was good. We got a little bit unpacked and put away. I can’t push DH to donto much on his weekends or he becomes combative but he did the parts I needed him to. He also decided to play hooky on Sunday. Since I can’t really get anything done with him around we went to the spa for 50% off massages. 

Today I piddled around the house. A rep from a landscaping company stopped by to form a quote. They are known to be the most expensive in town but also the most professional. I have reached out to others but I at least want to know what the top is.

Next is curtains.

eta: My dad had emergency surgery for a detached retina on Saturday night (their time). He is doing okay but he is super bummed because he was planning on visiting in January but now he can’t fly for at least 2 months. 
  • @charlotte989875 I love TSO! Jealous you got to see them :) Hoping next year we'll have our shit together to get tickets and plan a baby sitter! {baby kitten will be 6 months at this point next year! :O!}
    It's funny, TSO's "winter wonderland" was the soundtrack to one winter lol

Productive weekend in our house!
    Friday - got M some jeans for my xmas party. His are ripped up the back on one leg.

Saturday - M did his tires! :D I hung out watching tv in my mum's place while he did it lol
    I ended up taking a nap because my xmas party was that night.
    We did the Escape Room then went to dinner. Apparently I needed protein because I really wanted a filet steak and I'm not big on eating steak lmao
    It was a cold walk, but really fun :)

Sunday - M went to one of the outdoor games, and I stayed home doing cleaning, etc. I got a lot done AND I DIDN'T TAKE A NAP!!!
    I swear this is the first weekend I didn't nap since September lmao I also went to bed early, but still lol
  • @missJeanLouise yikes! Glad they caught your dad's eye issue!

@sparklepants41 any chance we can get a photo of BabyPants in that? That's an adorable outfit :)
  • Side note:

3 WEEKS UNTIL ANATOMY SCANNNNNN!!!

{2 online quizzes - 60% chance girl, 40% chance boy. Personal thought: girl}
  • This weekend was a blur and super busy!

We had snow on Friday afternoon, so the commute home was crazy. Poor H had a bus run that should have been an quick 45 minutes down the highway prior to rush hour starting.  It took him almost 3 hours!  Then he still had to pick up DD.  So he was in a mood by the time he got home!  So we relaxed in bed after DDs bedtime.

Saturday morning, we got up early for our fridge delivery!  It looks beautiful in our kitchen and its so much bigger!  I also got a doctor's appointment for DD because she has been having grossness I will spare the board with!  We went and doctor said its viral, so nothing to do for her.  But last night, she started with a wicked cough and daycare already called me warning a fever was starting.  So I'm waiting for the call now that her fever is too high for school and I have to get her. 

We also were able to get to church on Saturday.  Sunday morning, we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  God I love their pancakes!  DD does too now!  After that we went to BJs for bulk goods and gift cards.  We then made a stop at a restaurant for another gift card.  We then popped over to my parents for the food I will cook on Saturday for our Christmas Eve Celebration party.

We then went home, fed DD and put her down for a nap.  She played in her crib for a bit before sleeping.  H and I cleaned and I started marinating the steaks for dinner with the ILs.  After that, I popped over to JCpennys to return a sweater.  Somehow I got in and out of the mall quickly and was back home less than an hour later!  ILs came over, I cooked dinner and they left around 6:15.  I was feeling ambitious so after feeding DD her dinner, I baked one of the cakes for Saturday.  I got it in the freezer this morning.

Today, I'm supposed to leave work an hour early to finish grocery shopping.  Then have a quick dinner before taking DD for her Santa pic.  After that, we will be going to my brother's house for my nephew's birthday cake tonight.

This week is going to be insane!  I have off Friday to help prepare for the party, but it can't come soon enough!

• yes, Monday reared it's ugly head again.  Is TSO Trans-Siberian Orchestra? 
    GL on the landscaping bid, @MissJeanLouise. Nice to get quotes across the board.

Weekend was meh.  Friday and Sunday we stayed in. My friends came over for tacos and we went to the Christmas haunted house.  It was really well done but not $25 worth.  I only paid $10.00 so I was glad.  Basically, they turned a haunted house into a Christmas one by putting santa hats on things.  One santa laying dead. That's about it. Still really good.  Also, looks like H is back on the board with more hours.  Juuuuust as I was getting used to him being around more and having a very limited schedule (1 day a week) 

• Really good weekend.  Left early on Friday and went out of town for the show.  The show went really well, K looked amazing, got great feedback, the comraderie backstage was great, and if I wanted to I think I could start costuming on commission.  :smile:  I do not want to...costumes are a labor of love, I don't know if there's enough money to be thrown at me to make up for it.

I was able to see one of my long time BFFs for lunch on Saturday and then we came home.  We went over and hung out with another friend that night.  Spent Sunday just sitting at home and recovering.  Started the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, liked it so far.
  • Hey there!  Our weekend was all right.  

Friday, I ran to the Hallmark store with DefConn to get bday cards and some gifts.  After that, we came home and watched Elf.  

Saturday, we went to my parents to bake cookies and do bdays.  It was fun and we made so.many.cookies.  

Sunday, shopping and that's about it. ;)  DH took the kids shopping for me and FIL.  

DefConn's about to burst because he wants to open *something* so bad.  I think we're exchanging gifts with the kiddo's gf on Weds (she got something for him).  He keeps asking how many more days, LOL.  He's so my child. 

DefConn also celebrated the first official day of Christmas break by hanging out in no pants until about 11am.  :D 
  • mrsconn23 said:

DefConn also celebrated the first official day of Christmas break by hanging out in no pants until about 11am.  :D 
    Holiday goals
  • My weekend was good.  Had a great time on my "date night" with my friend.    Her husband is also a chef and like mine works most nights.   We went to the opening of a new restaurant, then the 1st anniversary party for another restaurant.   The second party our husbands were able to join us.

I worked both days.   Sadly we were told yesterday opening Wednesday is a no-go.   Right now they are saying Saturday.  BUT, there is snow forecasted for Thursday.  If it dumps a lot of snow then we will open up sooner. Oh and we haven't been able to train staff yet because they can't get to the restaurant.  

Note- you have to ski to get to us.  Those lifts are not open.  The ski company has limited us to 3 snowmobiles doing  1 round trip run a day.  That is 6 people.  Some of us have to hike in order to get there.  Not something a lot of people are capable of doing since it's 2 miles and 2000 feet in vertical.   Heck, I'm experienced and it takes me an hour.     In the past there has been enough snow before opening to run our snow cat to bring people up, that isn't the case this year.

So basically I'm in a holding pattern and opening is going to be interesting to say the least.  Wish me luck. 

And I now have to work Christmas and New Years.   Not a huge deal as I've worked xmas in the past.  But this year my schedule has me off Monday and Tuesday.  So by default I would have xmas and NY off.   I can't be off 2 days after opening with a green staff.    Once we open I will be looking at working a few weeks straight.  

Damn you global warming!  :rage:

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm not a fan of TSO. It stresses me out. I like calming, peaceful Christmas music. Give me some plain old piano, strings and/or guitar. 

We got a sitter and I took DH out for his birthday on Saturday. We went to this new restaurant we'd been wanting to try and saw Star Wars. I truly know nothing about the stories except for some basic character names and that those teddy bear things in hoods are really cute (yea, that's the extent), but I liked the movie! DH is into it and it was his birthday so that's what mattered.

We have a ton of family coming in this weekend for the holidays. It's a lot of work hosting the holidays, but man I really do love it!
    *********************************************************************************

• OH and also, I made these cookies and they are now going to be one of my standbys. I have only adopted 3 cookie recipes in the last 12 years as "this one's now on the list" type of things. OMG, just so delicious. 

In case you are interested:

BUTTER PECAN COOKIES

For the Buttered Pecans:

1½ cups pecans, chopped                                                

1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, browned

For the Cookie Dough:

2¼ cups all-purpose flour                2 sticks unsalted butter, browned

2 tablespoons cornstarch                 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed

1 teaspoon salt                                 ½ cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon           2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda                   2 large eggs, at room temp.

Pecan halves, for decorating

Buttered Pecans: Lightly brown butter in a skillet. Add chopped pecans and occasionally stir until lightly toasted. Set aside.

Cookie Dough: In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix well. Set aside. Brown butter in a skillet. Remove from heat and pour butter into a large, heatproof mixing bowl. Add in both sugars and whisk well. Add in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until eggs are just combined. Fold butter mixture in the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in the buttered pecans. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to 2 days. If you refrigerate for more than 2 hours, you'll need to let the dough sit at room temperature until it's scoopable.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Scoop ping pong sized rounds of dough onto greased cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each cookie for spreading. Flatten slightly and firmly press a pecan half on top of each ball of cookie dough. Bake for 9 minutes, or until edges are set and the center is still soft. Let cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. 

*********************************************************************************

• It took forever to figure out Tso. 
  • I am just exhausted today and woke up with a mild headache, to boot.  I considered calling in sick, but I have too much to do at work today.

Over the weekend, my H installed a new hot water dispenser on our sink.  I had one a couple years ago, but it died.  I bought a new one on clearance...about a year ago, lol...and finally nagged him again to install it.

On Sat., we had a mystery shop at one of my favorite breakfast/lunch restaurants.  It was so delicious, as always.  Then it was a marathon grocery trip to both Costco and Walmart.  How is it that I spend over $300 on food and still feel like we have hardly anything to eat, lol?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were in Los Angeles and got back very early Sunday morning. Universal was disappointing. Not as good as Florida version. I think I have gastro so that sucks. I was already on days off work until Wednesday so that is good I guess. @southernbelle0915 thanks for the recipe!
  • @MissKittyDanger
    Anatomy scan is so exciting!! Are you doing a sex parts reveal party or skipping that trend?
    @lyndausvi
    Holy shit re: hiking to your restaurant...

Weekend was really good. The wedding we went to was very fun. The venue was beautiful. The bride's dress was to die for and her mother made this insane lace cathedral veil and it was just, wow. The FOTB included in his toast a thanks to the groom's parents for buying all the booze, which got huge laughs and applause. I also made it 8.5 hours without nursing or pumping...! 
    The baby developed a cough while at my in-laws and we were able to get her in to see the doctor on Sunday (yay for pediatrician offices that take sick children 7 days a week). It's just a common cold thank goodness. Just crossing my fingers it doesn't get worse. She's basically handling it well and still in her usual good spirits, so. 

• @thisismynickname2 we are :) so the 8th is the scan, and depending on people's schedules either the saturday or sunday afterwards we're doing a gender reveal cake. Just family. M's dad's side is boy heavy, so we're curious. Happy either way, but it's first grandchild so it'd be fun :) I just hope baby complies ;)
  • Banana - Has the school's actions been appropriate for what happened to poor Chiquita? 
  • Did anyone watch A Christmas Story live last night?  I thought it was cute.  I liked when they flubbed up and just rolled with it.

• Did anyone watch A Christmas Story live last night?  I thought it was cute.  I liked when they flubbed up and just rolled with it.
    No but I heard about "rein-beer" :')
  • This past weekend seemed crazy long because we had a bunch of activites, and DS was acting up. . . . which was quite trying. He was doing so bad at listening that I gave in and let him take a toy to bed last night, his little toy drill.  At 6am all I could hear was him "fixing" things in his crib.  There's a battery in the drill and it makes a noise when you press the trigger, constant until you release it.  Not making that mistake again!!

Saturday started with gymnastics (more like an obstacle course at their age).  He is killing it on the rock climb, I was shocked since its only the second time he's done it and he's not even 2 yet!!!  Then Santa at the FD, errands and another Santa Visit at night.  yesterday was lots of playing, then yet another Santa visit at his grandma and grandpa's house. 

Friends who saw A Christmas Story Live were saying how terrible they thought it was.  Do my knotties disagree?

• @CharmedPam and @kaos16, my H and I DVR'ed taped a Christmas Story Live, but haven't watched it yet.  We are planning to wait until Christmas.

As an aside, I haven't owned a VCR in about 15 years.  Will the word "taped/taping" ever stop being the first word I think of for DVR usage, lol?

Or is "tape" still the proper verb, even though the noun it is associated with has gone the way of the DoDo bird?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @lyndausvi

Yep.  They have a log for us to mark down all our hikes.  The one with the most at the end of the year gets a prize.  I came in 2nd last year.    

This year it will be harder because I'm on the snowmobiles @ 6:45 5 days a week.   If I want to hike I would have to start at 6am, which means I would have to catch the  5:02am bus.  Yeah, no.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @kaos16, omg the story of him fixing things is the cutest thing ever!
    @short+sassy, I say "recorded".  And I really have to clean out my dvr cache because I have like 80% of it filled with Shannen Doherty tv shows, which is m mostly charmed.  Oh yeah, it picks up anything Shannen Doherty related.

• lyndausvi said:

@lyndausvi

Yep.  They have a log for us to mark down all our hikes.  The one with the most at the end of the year gets a prize.  I came in 2nd last year.    

This year it will be harder because I'm on the snowmobiles @ 6:45 5 days a week.   If I want to hike I would have to start at 6am, which means I would have to catch the  5:02am bus.  Yeah, no.
    Is the prize worth it....? :)

• lyndausvi said:

@lyndausvi

Is the prize worth it....? :)
    Material wise, not really.   Physically and mentally it well worth the hikes.  I always feel great afterwards.