Wedding Woes

Happy Eagles Monday!

2»

Re: Happy Eagles Monday!

• I'm sorry your pain is increasing again @ GBCK

@charlotte989875 that is some BS. There are some really shady/shitty real estate agents out there. I would be so annoyed. 

@CharmedPam I'm so sorry about your DH and the bereavement leave. That isn't fair. 

On Saturday we moved me out of my apartment and officially into the house. SO was sick (but being a little extra about it), and my mom kept making snarky comments about how they'll help me move back out if we break up, but other than that it was good. Our house is way too small for the stuff though. We need like one more room for the desk and the nice couch. I don't really want to get rid of the couch because the plan is either to buy a new place in a few years, or to add a second story to this house. My parents want the desk, but they don't have room for it until my brother leaves in a few months. My biggest problem is the lack of closet space here. It's a bungalow/craftsman from the late 1800s, so we're kind of lucky we have closets at all, but man, are they small. 

We didn't watch the game yesterday. SO was still sick, so we didn't end up going to the brunch and we just stayed home. SO took like 4 naps yesterday. I organized stuff, went through my makeup, and made a list of all of the things I own so I can stop buying more makeup/skin care stuff. Then I did homework. Plan for today is gym, homework, studying, maybe some more unpacking. We'll see. There's not really anywhere for the stuff to go. 

• levioosa said:
    I'm sorry your pain is increasing again @ GBCK

@charlotte989875 that is some BS. There are some really shady/shitty real estate agents out there. I would be so annoyed. 

@CharmedPam I'm so sorry about your DH and the bereavement leave. That isn't fair. 

On Saturday we moved me out of my apartment and officially into the house. SO was sick (but being a little extra about it), and my mom kept making snarky comments about how they'll help me move back out if we break up, but other than that it was good. Our house is way too small for the stuff though. We need like one more room for the desk and the nice couch. I don't really want to get rid of the couch because the plan is either to buy a new place in a few years, or to add a second story to this house. My parents want the desk, but they don't have room for it until my brother leaves in a few months. My biggest problem is the lack of closet space here. It's a bungalow/craftsman from the late 1800s, so we're kind of lucky we have closets at all, but man, are they small. 

We didn't watch the game yesterday. SO was still sick, so we didn't end up going to the brunch and we just stayed home. SO took like 4 naps yesterday. I organized stuff, went through my makeup, and made a list of all of the things I own so I can stop buying more makeup/skin care stuff. Then I did homework. Plan for today is gym, homework, studying, maybe some more unpacking. We'll see. There's not really anywhere for the stuff to go. 
    LOL! Lately, and I don't know why (maybe because I'm getting a LOT of make up facebook ads?) but I went from a non make up girl to hmmmm maybe I should get into make up again?

• Knotties, please help with travel!

I'm feeling the need to visit NYC again.  Groupon (darn you!) stoked the fire hotter this weekend with two awesome looking hotels...at good prices...in the East Village.  I was almost ready to book something, when Jet Blue foiled my plans.

When I went a couple years ago, Jet Blue had tons of $200 r/t fares to choose from.  Now they're $278.

I did more searching on flights.

Found some better deals.  But they fly into Newark.  Posts on travel sites (from users) say that it is really convenient to get from Newark to Manhattan via a train that is around $15.  30-45 minutes.

What say you Knotties?  To fly into LaGuardia would be $40+/person more, but we could take the subway for a few bucks.  30 minutes (guessing a bit). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam Sephora is a magical place to me. I have to either skip it or order online to avoid buying extra stuff. I was experimenting for awhile with different brands, so the consequence is I have a lot of half used foundations that I really can't justify throwing away. I'm just going to suck it up until they're done so I can save some money. 

• I was so happy to wake up to an Eagles win! I could have gone to a bar at 3:30am to watch the game but I couldn’t. 
    Next year when the Steelers play I will go. ;)

I injured/tore/ pulled a muscle in my very first spin class last Wednesday. I could barely walk down stairs and it felt like my leg would give out at certain points while walking, but riding felt good yesterday and I feel like it actually helped heal things.

MIL arrives next Sunday. I am so excited. I love her so much, she is the first one to visit us, and I think she will really enjoy herself. I know I am just going to be a blabbering idiot the whole time (good and bad) but I just cannot help it. 

I'm feeling the need to visit NYC again.  Groupon (darn you!) stoked the fire hotter this weekend with two awesome looking hotels...at good prices...in the East Village.  I was almost ready to book something, when Jet Blue foiled my plans.

When I went a couple years ago, Jet Blue had tons of $200 r/t fares to choose from.  Now they're $278.

Found some better deals.  But they fly into Newark.  Posts on travel sites (from users) say that it is really convenient to get from Newark to Manhattan via a train that is around $15.  30-45 minutes.

What say you Knotties?  To fly into LaGuardia would be $40+/person more, but we could take the subway for a few bucks.  30 minutes (guessing a bit). 

It’s really easy to take the train to Manhattan from Newark, and while it’s not the best airport I think it’s a lot better than LaGuardia. 

LGA sucks.   There is major construction (started year ago, will last another 7?).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yup LGA is the worst. Newark isn’t that bad and it’s pretty easy to get to. I prefer JFK to Newark and LGA but I don’t actively try to avoid Newark like I do LaGuardia. 
  • No game watching for me, but someone posted about JT starting his performance so I switched it for that.  Glad I saw the ending because then the poor kid memes everywhere make sense now.  I am glad the Eagles won because, well, how many fingers do these players even have? Do they NEED another ring?
    @mrsconn23, glad it was a good show. You remind me that I want to get out and see "love never dies".

Weekend was good.  I took myself out on Saturday.  Just to walmart to buy some food for the next step of this diet (no more liquids!) but I was proud that I made the trip on my own with no help.

H didn't make the celebration of life for his stepdaughter and I couldn't travel the 3 hours there and 3 back for it since I'm still recovering.  It was to late to put a day in and he had to work all weekend.  He was, needless to say, bummed. But we did pay for the food and drinks for it as contribution, since the person putting it on has no money and literally did a celebration of life for his own mom 2 weeks ago (I know! that poor guy!)

edit: he also couldn't get bereavement leave because she was not his own blood. He raised her since she was 9 and WAS HER FATHER! I understand rules are rules and all, but I think this one needs to be re-addressed.  My company wouldn't even think twice about giving someone bereavement for it. 
    I'm sorry to hear that. That's so cold.
  • DK is from Philly and is a huge Eagles fan, so there was much celebrating in our house last night. I didn't care about the football, but I won $400 (technically $380 since it was a $20 bet for my 2 squares) on the final score. 

I took a jewelry/metalworking class on Saturday afternoon and made a cuff bracelet. I'm signed up for another class next Sunday - this one will be to make a silver ring. The class was a lot of fun and I was proud of the final product, especially since it was my first time working with the tools and trying the different techniques. Due to the complexity of my design, i didn't have time for a final polish before the end of class, so I'll do that on Sunday. 

today I volunteered at another Junior Achievement event - I had the opportunity to talk to 900+ 8th graders about careers in STEM, business, skilled trades, finding a mentor, and planning for the future. Each session had over 300 kids, and lasted about 40 minutes. i had some co-speakers, and was really happy not to be tethered to a slide deck because kids were falling asleep during their talks. It was an interesting challenge to keep the kids engaged (or at least awake) - but a few of them asked some good questions, which was nice to see.
  • @short+sassy , the NYC subway doesn't go to LaGuardia Airport. If you fly there, you would need other transportation into Manhattan.

H's family is from NY and we try to get there 2x a year.  I am going to stop using Laguardia because of traffic getting out, yes, but also because its currently under construction and to get a rental car we need two shuttles.

We're flying Newark in April actually, to see if it's any better.

That said, we're renting a car and you're trying to use public transportation right? :)   Have you also tried Southwest?  We've gone to NY as low as $99 one way with them!

• levioosa said:
    @CharmedPam Sephora is a magical place to me. I have to either skip it or order online to avoid buying extra stuff. I was experimenting for awhile with different brands, so the consequence is I have a lot of half used foundations that I really can't justify throwing away. I'm just going to suck it up until they're done so I can save some money. 
    I will be needing foundation and mascara soon.  I just wanted to go to Macy's since lancome has free gift bonus going on.....but I guess I should go with what's better for me and my skin and not free gifts (even though sometimes the bags are SUPER useful!)

• levioosa said:

I will be needing foundation and mascara soon.  I just wanted to go to Macy's since lancome has free gift bonus going on.....but I guess I should go with what's better for me and my skin and not free gifts (even though sometimes the bags are SUPER useful!)
    My poor parents (like woe is me not financial) were so nice to let me get makeup at Clinique that I just *had* to have when really it was because of whatever gift there were offering.  Sorry mom and dad! 

H's family is from NY and we try to get there 2x a year.  I am going to stop using Laguardia because of traffic getting out, yes, but also because its currently under construction and to get a rental car we need two shuttles.

That said, we're renting a car and you're trying to use public transportation right? :)   Have you also tried Southwest?  We've gone to NY as low as $99 one way with them!
    Yes, definitely using public transportation.  I wouldn't even know what to do with a car in NYC, lol.  I did check Southwest but, no dice.  They were on the mid-expensive end for tickets.  But I'll keep my eye out for their sales.  That was how my H and I got super cheap tickets for Chicago, $60/each way. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Yes, definitely using public transportation.  I wouldn't even know what to do with a car in NYC, lol.  I did check Southwest but, no dice.  They were on the mid-expensive end for tickets.  But I'll keep my eye out for their sales.  That was how my H and I got super cheap tickets for Chicago, $60/each way. 
    I can't drive in the city either.  And don't even get me started on parking!  When are you going?

• Jen4948 said:
    @short+sassy , the NYC subway doesn't go to LaGuardia Airport. If you fly there, you would need other transportation into Manhattan.

Huh!  Well I'll be!  I'd swear the main subway line I took during my last trip had LaGuardia as the final destination for one end of it.

But I looked it up and see you are correct.  The city buses go there or (maybe), if we're worried about traffic, we could take the bus to Queens and then get on the subway.

Thanks for that!  And just when I thought I had finally mastered the NYC subway system, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Have you tried the Expedia bundles? That's what I do everytime I go back to the city. What I've found is deals where my flight is "free" depending on what hotel I choose. 
  • @CharmedPam Clinique’s High Impact mascara is fabulous if you’re looking for a new one. 

• Driving in NYC isn't horrible if you just want to get to there.   I'm not a fan of driving around the city once I'm in it but find that the cost of getting there and parking is often less expensive than taking the train in for DH and me. 

It all depends on the time of year though.   When DD and I went in two weeks before Christmas on a  Sunday, I drove to Stamford and took Metro North in.   The $2 it cost me to add Chiquita were well worth it to avoid the gridlock insanity.

Parking garages are often reasonable when it isn't a major event too. 

If you want a car look into Westchester.   A lot of people I know like that airport because it's not so huge.