Wedding Woes

Spring/Summer fashion

What do you think is going to be "in?" Have you bought anything good recently? Are you eyeing anything?

Re: Spring/Summer fashion

• I'm a summer dress and leggings kind of girl. My office gets really cold and I throw my leggings in my purse before I go out in the oppressive heat. 

We aren't allowed open toed shoes at work so I'm trying to find a pair of 'closed toed sandals'. I had a pair years ago that bit the dust finally and would love to find another pair. 
  • "In" as in general fashion trend, or more personal style?

I'll go with personal style -
    I feel like my continuation of mint and coral will continue.

I have one cold-shoulder top I adore for summer. It's a silk-satin feel, and very thin without being too much.

I'll be picking up maxi skirts and maxi dresses - I feel they'll be good 'pregnant-to-not-pregnant' outfits since they're flowy and easy to throw on if I don't wanna get dressed lol
  • I have no idea what will be 'in', but I plan to pick up some pixie shorts from Old Navy because I have two pairs I need to replace and they're my fave non-jean shorts.  I also need to get some jean shorts from my fave local boutique.  Other than that, my summer style is shorts, tanks, and maxi dresses/skirts.  And comfy sandals. 
  • I think I would like Maxi dresses if I could find ones that sat right on me. As it is, they come to my mid calf and don't sit right at my waist/hip because of my long torso. I may have to bite the bullet and make one. 
  • edited March 2018
    kvruns said:
    can I continue to wear my maternity shorts even though my baby is over 1.  asking for a friend.
    Yes. Comfort > anything else
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I need tanks/sleeveless, but can never seem to find the right ones.  I don't really want fitted or spaghetti strap and I don't want to have to wear layers. 

I don't know why I bother my time is either at the fields or the pool.  I do need a new suit. 

• I think I would like Maxi dresses if I could find ones that sat right on me. As it is, they come to my mid calf and don't sit right at my waist/hip because of my long torso. I may have to bite the bullet and make one. 
    if you have a giant tiger near you, the ones they have are good for tall ladies. My friend has a couple and she's 6'2" - also Old Navy.
    if you have a giant tiger near you, the ones they have are good for tall ladies. My friend has a couple and she's 6'2" - also Old Navy.
    It's not just the height, it's the proportions. Most of my friends are the same height and they can wear maxi dresses just fine, I just have a really long torso. I have to buy shirts from "tall" Gap in order to have them hit right. I can't wear dresses off the rack because the hip is where the waist is on me and it bunches. 
  • Oh. I have a wide brimmed hat I like but haven't really worn it much in past years. I feel this will be the year it comes out more often.
  • @mrsconn23 - I have something similar to the first one but in fuschia. It's one of my favourites to wear in the summer. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I haven’t shopped in a Maurice’s in ages!  Are those first ones from the?  They almost look like old navy ones. I like those fit, but the fabric from old navy’s makes me sweaty!
  • 6fsn said:
    I haven’t shopped in a Maurice’s in ages!  Are those first ones from the?  They almost look like old navy ones. I like those fit, but the fabric from old navy’s makes me sweaty!
    They are Old Navy.  I always forget about Maurice's too, and then once a year I go in and find one or two things. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    They are Old Navy.  I always forget about Maurice's too, and then once a year I go in and find one or two things. 
    Interesting, the fuschia one I have that's like the first one is from Banana Republic, but I bought it 5 years ago (I know because it was one of my first post baby purchases). 
  • I love these linen-blend shorts from Old Navy ... I think I have like 4 pairs and I live in them during the summer (and Spring and Fall ... I do live in Houston, after all).  They're super comfy and a good length.
  • If I could wear shorts to work, I would. I have never worked anywhere where that was allowed in the dress code. 
    It's not just the height, it's the proportions. Most of my friends are the same height and they can wear maxi dresses just fine, I just have a really long torso. I have to buy shirts from "tall" Gap in order to have them hit right. I can't wear dresses off the rack because the hip is where the waist is on me and it bunches. 
    Oh, damn :\ 
  • If I could wear shorts to work, I would. I have never worked anywhere where that was allowed in the dress code. 
    Luckily I'm a teacher, so I don't have much of a dress code during the summer  :)  
    What about dress pant style shorts or skorts? I've seen skorts coming back last year, so maybe same this year.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2018
    If I could wear shorts to work, I would. I have never worked anywhere where that was allowed in the dress code. 
    The office has specific days that 'charitable contributors' can wear shorts during the summer. They have to be no more than 3in above the knee.  So bermudas only for women.  

Doesn't affect me, of course.  ;) If I go in the office in the summer, I usually wear a skirt or dress. 
    What about dress pant style shorts or skorts? I've seen skorts coming back last year, so maybe same this year.
    I wear capris, but that's as short as they're allowed. Nothing above the knee, even skirts and dresses. 
  • Do you guys consider a maxi skirt with a t-shirt and cardigan office appropriate? It's technically, dress-code wise, okay but I felt kind of dumpy the one day I wore one mid-week last year.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Do you guys consider a maxi skirt with a t-shirt and cardigan office appropriate? It's technically, dress-code wise, okay but I felt kind of dumpy the one day I wore one mid-week last year.

That's one of my standard work outfits, lol.  For the two maxi skirts I wear to work, one of them is a thick cotton blend and plain gray.  The other one is a pattern, but with darker colors (black, brown, beige, burgundy).

We're not a "suits required" kind of office, but we're still fairly dressy.  Jeans are never allowed, not even on Fridays.  Khakis are okay.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Apparently wedges are out. I had to scour multiple malls for a pair over the past few weeks. Everything is either tall and chunky heel, or an asymmetrical shorter chunky heel. 

@ShesSoCold I think it depends on the shirt. I had a “dressier” lace-y type shirt I used to wear with a black maxi skirt. It dressed up the maxi but was still comfortable. I’ve seen people pull off the t-shirt with maxi skirt look, but I am not one of them. It’s either casual with a tank, or dressed up with a nicer blouse. 

that's pretty much what I wear in the summer if I don't want to wear jeans. Although I wear a sleeveless shirt as opposed to a tshirt

Honestly, no. I think there's a difference between looking professional in an office setting and doing the bare minimum. Maxi skirts and tshirts (even when paired with a cardigan) are too casual, IMHO.

As a general rule for my own self and my own work environment, if I look in the mirror or think about my outfit and even CONSIDER that it's just "technically dress-code" or maybe not a good choice, then it's out. Period. 
    *********************************************************************************

That is more than acceptable in my office, but our dress code is casual.  

If it's just technically in dress code, then probably not for any other day than a Friday (if you have casual Friday). 

Depends on how you feel. If you don't feel comfortable, then no. But I've worn this exact thing last year multiple times without issue :)
    My maxi skirt is a little more fitted on the waist/hip area, so I'd wear a more loose fitting tshirt
  • I honestly see this depending on the office environment:
    -Office environment that's a corporate office with no manufacturing: you need to step it up more.   Pressed pants, suit-like dresses, cardigans and skirts are OK but the skirt should be tailored.   If you're wearing any kind of ankle showing pant it should be paired with a tailored blouse or dressy sweater and a pair of ballet flats or heels.

-Office environment near a manufacturing facility: I've seen corduroys, maxi skirts, and leggings with long sweaters and boots.   Jeans OK on Fridays.  

Obviously that's not a real rule but it's what I've observed as a status quo.