Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Name Change Question

My fiance is planning on changing his last name to match his mom's last name (falling out with his dad, etc...). 

Does anyone have any ideas on how long this will take? I'm assuming the process isn't the same as what I will do when I change my name after the wedding. As you can tell by my ticker, we are about 3 months out. Is it even going to be possible for him to finish his name change before the wedding? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Name Change Question

• Options
    This probably depends a lot on your particular state. Sometimes, this involves publishing the intended name in the newspaper, court hearings, waiting periods, etc. 

I would google it. Try "your state name change." Or call up your state or county social services or vital statistics office or visit in person and just ask. They'll be able to go over what's required and give you much better info than people on the internet. 
  • Options
    Ditto above. Typically a name change that's not a woman changing her last name after marriage is a more involved process, and each state has different requirements. Has he started the process at all? Has he even looked into what's required?
  • Options
    This probably depends a lot on your particular state. Sometimes, this involves publishing the intended name in the newspaper, court hearings, waiting periods, etc. 

I would google it. Try "your state name change." Or call up your state or county social services or vital statistics office or visit in person and just ask. They'll be able to go over what's required and give you much better info than people on the internet. 

This. I would start with my county clerk's office.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever