Wedding Woes

Wednesday

2»

Re: Wednesday

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

aw @short+sassy I hope it's good news.  I hate when people do that.

@kvruns that's funny. I do that all the time in Costco.  I actually wear clothes I know I can try on over.

Just got the last weekend of soccer schedule- 6 soccer games, 1 baseball practice, 2 baseball games, 1 lacrosse game.  DH is spending Memorial Day with his brother and sister.  Not families, just the siblings.  I think I'm going to book a massage for that Saturday and spend the day detoxifying the soccer shit.

• Y'all, I'm freaking out.  I just got an e-mail from the HR manager that they want to meet with me at 4:30.

Even though things seemed to have been better, work/busy-wise, I'm assuming I'm losing my job (sigh).

It's kind of weird, though, because usually the Big Boss handles lay offs.  I don't know.  Whatever.

And right now I am hating them for making me wait 2 hours for this meeting :(.  I'm sick to my stomach.

Oh no! I hope it's not that. Maybe they're giving you a raise?
  • update: I had the hush puppies. They were dry and over cooked, almost burnt.  Granted, I got the last serving of hush puppies so it could have been bottom of the barrel, but something tells me they were all like that.

It ruined my day.

edit for:  I just found out it was national bbq day.  I see what my cafeteria did there.
    I hate when I'm really looking forward to food and it's not as good as I'd hoped and dreamed. 

That being said, I had two donuts for lunch. Dunkins gives you two for 99 cents after noon so....
    My first post-vegan burger was medium well when I asked for medium rare.  
    I probably would have sent that back. Sorrynotsorry that's not even close to right. 
  • Y'all, I'm freaking out.  I just got an e-mail from the HR manager that they want to meet with me at 4:30.

Even though things seemed to have been better, work/busy-wise, I'm assuming I'm losing my job (sigh).

It's kind of weird, though, because usually the Big Boss handles lay offs.  I don't know.  Whatever.

And right now I am hating them for making me wait 2 hours for this meeting :(.  I'm sick to my stomach.

or.....a flip side of that? a promotion? new job duties? 

I suppose that is a possibility.  But a remote one :(.  HR is almost never good news.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

The whole thing is weird.  My direct boss is already pretty high up in the company.  He gives promotions.  He gives raises.  He lays off/fires people.  I go to HR once a year to turn in my open enrollment forms, lol.

It would possibly make sense if they wanted me to pick up some work with another client (my direct boss only oversees the projects for one client).  But I just don't think so.  I think my direct boss would have given me a heads up about that also. 

Obviously I'm hoping there is another explanation, but I think the "bell is tolling for me".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2018
    Awww, sending good vibes, S&S! I hope it's not what you think!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Rushing around getting ready for my girls' trip this weekend. I really want to get someone to clean my house next week because we have company coming for the 500 Memorial Day weekend and I won't be home until Tuesday. Ugh! I don't know anyone to call. I've asked a friend of mine for the name of her cleaning person but haven't heard back from her. 
    I can ask my sister for hers. She seems to like who she uses. 
    That would be great! PM me!
  • Sending you good vibes @ short+sassy!

The whole thing is weird.  My direct boss is already pretty high up in the company.  He gives promotions.  He gives raises.  He lays off/fires people.  I go to HR once a year to turn in my open enrollment forms, lol.

It would possibly make sense if they wanted me to pick up some work with another client (my direct boss only oversees the projects for one client).  But I just don't think so.  I think my direct boss would have given me a heads up about that also. 

Obviously I'm hoping there is another explanation, but I think the "bell is tolling for me".

That sucks. I really hope it's not bad. Sending you good vibes. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Rushing around getting ready for my girls' trip this weekend. I really want to get someone to clean my house next week because we have company coming for the 500 Memorial Day weekend and I won't be home until Tuesday. Ugh! I don't know anyone to call. I've asked a friend of mine for the name of her cleaning person but haven't heard back from her. 
    I can ask my sister for hers. She seems to like who she uses. 
    That would be great! PM me!
    Sent! 
  • UPDATE:  Phew!!!  Still have a job.

The issue is something minor...but puzzling.

Apparently, there have been multiple complaints to HR (not just one coworker) about the body spray I use.

I'm embarrassed and feel like the subject of a Prudie letter, lol.  "My coworker wears too much perfume.  She smells so bad.  But I don't know what to say to her...blah, blah, blah."

However, the puzzling thing to me is that I do occasionally wear body spray, but not that often.  Maybe 1x/week.  No one shares an office with me.  My job is fairly independent and, other than hi/bye in the breakroom or hallways, I don't even typically work with people for longer than a few minutes at a time.  Yet, MULTIPLE people complained.  Eeek.

The HR guy was really nice and assured me I was hardly the first person he has had a conversation like this with.  I told him I'm not in the habit of usually wearing perfume or body spray anyway and just won't wear any of it while at work.  I told him to definitely let me know if he still gets some complaints and I'll try to figure out what else it could be, but we are both assuming that my solution of just not wearing anything should end the problem.

Now I feel like a pariah and am wondering if people have been gossiping about me :(.  I do feel as if my coworkers like me, but that could be true and they still gossip.  In my defense, I have never ever had a complaint like this before.  I'm going to chalk it up to the body spray I keep at work as not being as "complimentary" to my skin as I thought it was.  In fact, I am going to completely chuck it.

Thanks for all the support, ladies!  And thanks for being a safe place to talk about how embarrassed I am.  The sting is still fresh, but I know I'll get over it with a little time and stop wondering what my coworkers may have said/think about me.

Quite frankly, compared to what I was thinking going into the meeting, this is actually super great news, lol.

Glad it’s nothing terrible! And some people are just super scent sensitive 

Apparently, there have been multiple complaints to HR (not just one coworker) about the body spray I use.

I'm embarrassed and feel like the subject of a Prudie letter, lol.  "My coworker wears too much perfume.  She smells so bad.  But I don't know what to say to her...blah, blah, blah."

However, the puzzling thing to me is that I do occasionally wear body spray, but not that often.  Maybe 1x/week.  No one shares an office with me.  My job is fairly independent and, other than hi/bye in the breakroom or hallways, I don't even typically work with people for longer than a few minutes at a time.  Yet, MULTIPLE people complained.  Eeek.

The HR guy was really nice and assured me I was hardly the first person he has had a conversation like this with.  I told him I'm not in the habit of usually wearing perfume or body spray anyway and just won't wear any of it while at work.  I told him to definitely let me know if he still gets some complaints and I'll try to figure out what else it could be, but we are both assuming that my solution of just not wearing anything should end the problem.

Now I feel like a pariah and am wondering if people have been gossiping about me :(.  I do feel as if my coworkers like me, but that could be true and they still gossip.  In my defense, I have never ever had a complaint like this before.  I'm going to chalk it up to the body spray I keep at work as not being as "complimentary" to my skin as I thought it was.  In fact, I am going to completely chuck it.

Thanks for all the support, ladies!  And thanks for being a safe place to talk about how embarrassed I am.  The sting is still fresh, but I know I'll get over it with a little time and stop wondering what my coworkers may have said/think about me.

Quite frankly, compared to what I was thinking going into the meeting, this is actually super great news, lol.

So glad it wasn't what you thought! 

Silver lining? At least your coworkers didn't say you smelled dirty or like BO. 

Also, it's possible it wasn't actually multiple people, but that someone complained once or twice, or that they said "multiple" so that it wasn't possible to identify who said it. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I’m glad you still have a job.  I know you are embarrassed, but it really could just be one person with a super scent trigger. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @short+sassy, glad you still have a job.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    assume someone had a bad day and a bad sense of smell and might be chalking some odor up to you that's not yours too.

Thanks for the derby references, I"m deciding what to do that's g-rated enough :)

Glad it’s nothing terrible! And some people are just super scent sensitive 
    ain't that the truth.  I work with someone who smells EVERYTHING.  I stopped wearing perfume to work because I didn't want to hear about it (our HR is off premises).  However, that doesn't stop someone else from using it (by the way she smells wonderful and I don't care about it), and she gets the comments from super scent nose anyway.

• Oh good, S&S! I'm glad to hear it was relatively minor, if not embarrassing!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • yeah, I mean my prediction of a promotion would have been better but.....

• When I read the first line, S&S, I immediately thought of Prudie letters. That's gotta sting for sure- sending you a virtual hug of support! 

• So here's what I don't get, and maybe it's because I'm always worked in small departments or office, but why wouldn't coworker just say "hey S+S I'm super sensitive to perfume and yours is a little strong. Can you help me out and tone it down?" Why go to HR (which in my world is for BIG THINGS)?
  • So here's what I don't get, and maybe it's because I'm always worked in small departments or office, but why wouldn't coworker just say "hey S+S I'm super sensitive to perfume and yours is a little strong. Can you help me out and tone it down?" Why go to HR (which in my world is for BIG THINGS)?

I felt the same way!  I personally wouldn't go to HR, unless it was something that was at least medium impact and I had already tried to correct the problem myself.  It seemed weird to me also that someone wouldn't have just said something to me or, more likely, just grumbled to themselves and let it go.  Because, as I mentioned, I don't have any coworkers who are around me for longer than 5 minutes at a time.

But, I know there are people out there who aren't comfortable with any kind of negative conversation.  And, as other PPs have mentioned, there are also really scent-sensitive people. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker