Wedding Woes

It's only Wednesday

Not even the first full week alone with my kids for the summer. I may not make it. I swear they are eating every 5 minutes!

My FIL asked for some dates he could take the kids for a few nights so I sent our schedule. Night one of tryouts went really well.  Word is they may start making offers as early as today.  I'm stalking my email to see if my FIL either picks a date or 6let gets an offer.  All offers will be made by 2 pm Sunday and FIL operates on a slow timeline.  It's going to be a loooooooong 4 days.

Nothing else much here.  I figured out why work has been slow and feel like an idiot.  My company is a third party seller of products.  The product owner just ended their fiscal year and closed all funding.  What's 90% of my job turned into? Funding.  Duh.  Funding opens back up in August. I still have enough hours and it will actually be most perfect for our schedules, but man it shouldn't have taken so long to figure out.

Re: It's only Wednesday

• When I find the person who gave my coworker hard candies for her to suck audibly on all day, I will hit them.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Nice quiet June and July then, huh, 6?  Sometimes I don't like "quiet".

I have a/c again! We had an appt with the hvac guy to come out on h's next day off, the 4th - but I couldn't take it any longer in my house.  We texted him to see if he could come out today instead.  But he was gracious enough and asked if I was home at the time and come out at 8:00 last night! (AND had another place to go to after me).  I don't know if I paid the "emergency call" rate - but if i did it was worth it because hot diggity darn air conditioning is required in my life.

• Resurfacing. I was sick all weekend with a horrible cold/fever/swollen glands/sore throat virus thing. But Babypants started crawling on Monday! Backwards lol, but she's crawling!! She's also been extra giggly lately which is super adorable. 

I am at the tail end of one deadline and ramping up on another. Which means I can finally breathe for a bit. 
  • How is it only Wednesday?!

Still waiting for the formal offer to come. I really just want to sign everything, do the background checks, so I can plan my exit from here. Sitting in a meeting this morning just emphasized how ready I am to leave. Waiting sucks. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Been feeling a little depressed lately. Still feel that way.
  • @6fsn, when your FIL asked for "some dates he could take the kids for a few nights", did you just send him an open calendar of the summer, lol?  I'm just teasing.

@ShesSoCold, I keep hard candies in a jar on my desk :).  Now I'm wondering if there is another coworker, secretly seething like yourself, about their own nearby coworker sucking on hard candies, lol.  I have one coworker that I don't work with at all.  But, twice a month, everybody visits my office because they have to turn their client timesheets in to me.  She always partakes in a hard candy and jokes with me that she wouldn't feel right just randomly coming in to take a hard candy, so timesheet days are her excuse, lol.

@CharmedPam, yay a/c!

@VarunaTT, glad you are going to take a breather after Pride.

@sparklepants41, yay Babypants crawling!  If I'm not mistaken, don't babies usually start crawling backwards first?  I could see how that is an easier maneuver, because they can push back with their hands and arms instead of reaching forward.

Last night's crockpot Kahlua seasoned pork was a hit!  Not as a good as the real thing.  But then, it's a 1000x easier than the real thing, so that is to be expected, lol.

My H was a rock star yesterday!  We do not have even one tree in our yard.  Oh, but our neighbor does.  They have a huge tree right next to the property line and the branches from that obnoxious thing are always creeping over to our roof.  We've cut them back to the property line a number of times but, yesterday, was more insane than usual.  He also cut up all the wood in the second pic to make small wood logs for our fire pit.  That you can just barely see underneath the tree debris, lol.  He created that fire pit and the seating himself also.  Though the seating is, ahem, still a bit unfinished after 3 years, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy that makes sense!!

also - go Mr. Sassy! That looks like it's a lot of work!

Our next-door neighbor has a tall pine that is not in good shape in his yard and that tree ALWAYS drops branches into our yard - and sometimes on our fence. I wish there was a way we could get the neighbor to do something about his tree because the lowest branches are so high up we would need to have a crane come in to get rid of them! 
  • @Jen4948 I'm sorry, Jen. Hugs for you. Do you have a doctor or therapist you can talk to? 
  • I'm here.  We got home from the store just in the nick of time before the sky opened up.  The air was heavy before it poured. 

Off work today and hoping to get some stuff done around the house. 

My car is all fixed.  DH's mistake cost us a pretty penny, but I bet it will ride nice and a lot more quiet.  

We're also on day 2 of summer break and my kids have already touched on all my nerves.  Even worse, DH has too (he was in a mooooodddd last night).  
  • I hope you feel better @sparklepants41! Yay for babypants crawling! 

School today. Just the one class I absolutely hate. I’m so bitter I have to go. I absolutely loathe this class. I fucking cannot with all of these sheltered privileged white people. This is a real story that the professor told last week in class. “So we were at this village in India, very secluded, very poor, high up in the mountains, and we were teaching them the Gospel and also the importance of handwashing to prevent the spread of disease, and they asked us how and we told them to use soap and clean water. But, they live so far away from the store and they only have a stream. They said it was too expensive and too far to buy soap. It was a whole day’s walk to the store and they didn’t have money. We didn’t realize just getting soap would be a problem. We couldn’t believe it.” 

My head was ready to explode. And today I have to listen to a bunch of those stories from “special guest presenters.” I’m so done. If you’re going to make me take Global Health, make it useful. Talk about privilege, talk about systemic racism and sexism, pollution, and the limits and barriers to healthcare that affect us globally. Talk about diseases endemic to specific areas and how to treat them since we are encountering them more often due to the ease of travel. But this conservative Christian white privilege I’m having to endure now? I don’t think my blood pressure can take a whole semester. We even have a “country day” where they want us to dress up like we are from a certain country and present about it. First of all, the cultural appropriation of that....I’m a privileged white woman. I am not dressing up like I am from Sierra Leone. Secondly, are we in first grade? I just want to scream at how inappropriate and asinine this class is. Sorry for the ranting. I REALLY hate this class. And my school. I made poor life choices. 

• @levioosa ugh that is ridiculous! And I would just refuse to dress up. People who are blind to their own privilege and ignorant of cultural appropriation really drive me nuts. 
  • That's bullshit @levioosa, I'd refuse to dress up and I'd focus my talk solely on the barriers to healthcare and the lack of understanding Westerners have about culture. But, I'm snarky like that. 
  • That's bullshit @levioosa, I'd refuse to dress up and I'd focus my talk solely on the barriers to healthcare and the lack of understanding Westerners have about culture. But, I'm snarky like that. 
    That’s definitely where I am going. Because snark now fuels my life and is the only thing keeping me sane. 

• @levioosa Wooooooow.  That's really rough.  I'd be furious as well.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    That is serious bs Levioosa. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Well shit. Do just got an email that today was the last day to make benefit changes. This is the first notice he’s received and it didn’t include anything about options. Turns out his bosses got an email 2 wks ago. Grrrr
  • @short+sassy that makes sense!!

also - go Mr. Sassy! That looks like it's a lot of work!

Our next-door neighbor has a tall pine that is not in good shape in his yard and that tree ALWAYS drops branches into our yard - and sometimes on our fence. I wish there was a way we could get the neighbor to do something about his tree because the lowest branches are so high up we would need to have a crane come in to get rid of them! 

If your neighbor's tree is unhealthy or dead, I would mail a certified letter (keep a copy of the letter and certified mailing) outlining your concerns, with a request that the tree be taken down in order to protect his property and the surrounding properties.  If you all are willing, maybe even offer to pay half or contribute $X.

Even if he refuses, he has now been put "on notice" about the problem tree and if, God forbid, that tree ever falls and damages your all's property, that would be a powerful letter to potentially get his insurance on the hook to pay for the damage instead of having to use your own.

Back when my H lived in OR, he had one of his huge tall pine trees roll out of the ground during a bad storm.  It took out the back half of his neighbor's house.  Luckily, no one was hurt.  In this case, the tree was actually healthy.  Both insurance companies initially got involved.  And both companies determined it was an "act of God".  Which meant the neighbor's insurance had to pick up the tab.  However, if that tree had been previously damaged or unhealthy.  And that was something my H knew about or should have known about.  It probably would have been a totally different story.

@levioosa, I'm sorry you're so upset with that class (understandably!) and, on a broader scale, the school.  I know you have been really unhappy with it.  If the teacher is maybe/hopefully open minded enough to hear feedback, I'd speak to her privately that you aren't comfortable "costuming" in another country's garb because you find it culturally inappropriate.

And/or dress in what you would wear if you were doing medical humanitarian work in Sierra Leone.  You can briefly reference what your wearing for your "humanitarian work" in terms of temps to expect in that region.  If weather conditions affect any diseases in that area, great opening to that segue.  If malaria is a problem there, you can talk about the bug spray you are wearing on exposed skin.  But that is a challenge to some of the people who live there because they don't have ready access to and/or the finances to purchase the bug spray that will help protect them from mosquitoes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    @Jen4948 I'm sorry, Jen. Hugs for you. Do you have a doctor or therapist you can talk to? 
    No. Even if I did, I don't have insurance, and I'm out of work so I can't pay for a doctor or therapist. I just got a rejection for a job I interviewed for last week that had seemed to go well, and the only prospects I have are for more of the same shit.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Wow that is bullshit @levioosa.
  • Jen4948 said:
    @Jen4948 I'm sorry, Jen. Hugs for you. Do you have a doctor or therapist you can talk to? 
    No. Even if I did, I don't have insurance, and I'm out of work so I can't pay for a doctor or therapist. I just got a rejection for a job I interviewed for last week that had seemed to go well, and the only prospects I have are for more of the same shit.
    That really sucks Jen I’m sorrry. Did they give you any feedback about the interview?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Jen4948 said:
    That really sucks Jen I’m sorrry. Did they give you any feedback about the interview?

No. They just said that I was not being considered for the position. Then, of course, they smarmed with "We'll keep you in mind for the future, good luck."
  • Jen4948 said:

I'm so sorry, Jen ((hugs)).  Job searching is one of the worst things ever.  I can totally understand why you are feeling so down.

I've occasionally been checking my company's website for accounting job openings at their Houston office for you.  No dice, so far.  They are an engineering firm, but big enough to have an accounting office in both cities.  It just occurred to me, if you're comfortable doing this, you can PM me your resume and I'll pass that along to HR.  I promise I'm not creepy, lol.

TBH, I think a lot of their jobs never get posted to the public.  Mine wasn't.  I had worked with one of their employees in a prior job.  Ran into him at Sam's Club when I was unemployed and asked if they had any openings.  He passed my resume to the big boss and to HR.  There was a new position they'd been kicking around, but hadn't taken any action yet.  And then they got my resume, which was a good match for it.  I was interviewed one week later and got a job offer the next week.  I suspect they were really excited to hire me, without going through a time consuming job posting/interview/hiring process.  And I was definitely excited that my very long job search (right during the recession) had finally come to an end.

On the idea of networking, I'm sure Houston has all kinds of after work networking events.  You just never know where a job lead might come from.  Like my random running into a former coworker at Sams.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • News stories that have me smh:

• Roseanne Barr's claim that her coworkers "threw her under the bus".  WTF?  I don't think they even said anything negative about her, just expressed their disappointment with and distancing from the outrageous Twitter comment she made.  That she, herself, profusely apologized for and deleted.
    • Louisiana just passed a law this week that makes it illegal for law enforcement personnel to have sex with persons in custody.  Wait, what?  Do you mean this wasn't ALREADY a law?  I may have sprained my eyeball it rolled so far up into my head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Jen4948 said:

I'm so sorry, Jen ((hugs)).  Job searching is one of the worst things ever.  I can totally understand why you are feeling so down.

I've occasionally been checking my company's website for accounting job openings at their Houston office for you.  No dice, so far.  They are an engineering firm, but big enough to have an accounting office in both cities.  It just occurred to me, if you're comfortable doing this, you can PM me your resume and I'll pass that along to HR.  I promise I'm not creepy, lol.

TBH, I think a lot of their jobs never get posted to the public.  Mine wasn't.  I had worked with one of their employees in a prior job.  Ran into him at Sam's Club when I was unemployed and asked if they had any openings.  He passed my resume to the big boss and to HR.  There was a new position they'd been kicking around, but hadn't taken any action yet.  And then they got my resume, which was a good match for it.  I was interviewed one week later and got a job offer the next week.  I suspect they were really excited to hire me, without going through a time consuming job posting/interview/hiring process.  And I was definitely excited that my very long job search (right during the recession) had finally come to an end.

On the idea of networking, I'm sure Houston has all kinds of after work networking events.  You just never know where a job lead might come from.  Like my random running into a former coworker at Sams.

Thanks. I can do that.
    short+sassy said:

News stories that have me smh:

• Roseanne Barr's claim that her coworkers "threw her under the bus".  WTF?  I don't think they even said anything negative about her, just expressed their disappointment with and distancing from the outrageous Twitter comment she made.  That she, herself, profusely apologized for and deleted.
    • Louisiana just passed a law this week that makes it illegal for law enforcement personnel to have sex with persons in custody.  Wait, what?  Do you mean this wasn't ALREADY a law?  I may have sprained my eyeball it rolled so far up into my head.

Good for ABC and the other people in the show, although I'm sorry they lost their jobs.

I just can't with that Louisiana law.

I'm sad that this had to be a law. That this must have happened enough for someone to move forward with a freaking law about it.

I keep thinking of the Friends where Ross is dating a student and thinks it's just "frowned upon".

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Just recently two LAPD officers here were arrested for having sex with 6 female inmates. If that wasn't awful enough, the outrage from people defending the cops and blaming the women made it 10000x worse. 

I'm sad that this had to be a law. That this must have happened enough for someone to move forward with a freaking law about it.

I keep thinking of the Friends where Ross is dating a student and thinks it's just "frowned upon".

Yes!  There were three fairly recent cases.  Two of them at different facilities.  The third one was an incident with a police officer and a woman he had pulled over.  Though that last one was especially heinous and already illegal.  He didn't just try to use his power to coerce her...which is skin crawling and awful enough...he tried to rape her.

There have also been incidents in the past.  I think most/all jails and prisons have "code of conduct" rules that prohibit employees from having sex with inmates.  However, that would only get a person fired.

In one of the recent cases, a female guard was bringing a male inmate contraband (drugs) because they were in a sexual relationship.  She was arrested for bringing in the contraband.  That's illegal.  But not for the sex, because that law hadn't been passed yet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I find the person who gave my coworker hard candies for her to suck audibly on all day, I will hit them.

I have coworker who talks softly to herself all damn day "because it helps her think straight" and "people get used to it".  Wrong, it drives me INSANE. 
  • Casadena said:

When I find the person who gave my coworker hard candies for her to suck audibly on all day, I will hit them.

I have coworker who talks softly to herself all damn day "because it helps her think straight" and "people get used to it".  Wrong, it drives me INSANE. 

Yeah, people get used to hating every fiber of your being.

I know a lot of it is because I hate her so everything she does is annoying, but this cube neighbor I currently have is the most annoying person I've ever worked anywhere near.

She'll randomly tap her nails, really loudly and really quickly. She hums, she sings, she groans, she talks to herself constantly, she clicks her tongue, she taps her feet, sometimes she gobbles when she's frustrated. She burps like 45 times an hour and says "excuse me" after every single one. When she yawns, she pushes it out and does the loud "OOOOOOOOOOOH" thing. She's literally never NOT making some sort of noise. And it's not like she taps her foot to like a beat for a while either, she'll tap it 25 times really quickly and then stop for like an hour. She has full on conversations with herself. I mean, I talk to myself too sometimes but she never stops. She'll even be over there like, "Well I think it's raining so I better grab my umbrella. I wonder if it rained enough to water my hostas. The one in the back is looking a little dry".

She's not the smartest person I've ever met and she makes all these annoying sounds when she's trying to think or concentrate so I try not to be a dick but it drives me fucking batty. The one day she asked me why I was so quiet and I said that I try to be cognizant and respectful of other people trying to work. She did not get the hint.