Wedding Woes

And yet again it's Monday

How was the weekend?!  Ours was one that felt really long, but really short.  We did a bunch of little things, but spent ALL DAY Saturday at baseball- 9:30 to 2:45.  IT SUCKED.  I hate baseball.

6let got another strong offer for soccer, but we're staying with the team we've been with.  M2 had her evaluations last night so now we wait to hear from them.  She's trying to do something that isn't full on club soccer (1/3 the cost), but it's more than rec soccer (does some tournaments). 

I decided last night to step down from one of my executive committees.  I just don't have the time or energy for it anymore. 

My brother has a big black tie affair in October that he has invited us too.  By us I'm guessing DH and I because 5 year olds and black tie just don't go together.  99% sure it will end up just being me though.  Finding a sitter in strange city for 3 hooligans doesn't sound like a recipe for fun.  Now I'm trying to find out what people wear to this thing and looking at rent the runway for ideas- yes I know it's 4 months away, but I have issues with clothing choices.

Work, laundry, grocery, pto meeting today.  ssdd.

Re: And yet again it's Monday

• We had a great weekend even though it didn't feel like we did much of anything. Friday night had drinks and then dinner with some of H's co-workers. We sat out on a patio because the weather was gorgeous! 

Saturday we slept in then went to look at prices for all the things the house will need. Holy hell furniture is expensive! We know right off the bat we're going to need a new washer & dryer. We're hoping the house will have hardwood floors under the layers of carpet we can see, but otherwise we got pricing for floors. Also expensive. Although apparently interior doors are cheaper than I expected. So that's a win. 

Yesterday was cleaning, made it out for a run, and watching The Office. A pretty great Sunday. 
  • ha! I watched some of the Office yesterday too, @charlotte989875
    @6fsn, fun! I started to look at RTR for a wedding in August - but I also noticed that dresslily had some gorgeous dresses for less than anything to rent at RTR - however, I think black tie affair and summer outdoor wedding are two different things... and you would want RTR for a black tie affair. 

Weekend was good.  I had ALL my errands run by 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, including house cleaning (got up at 5:30).  The rest of the weekend was glued to the TV.  I did do some baking for DH and finally made some homemade peanut butter and I'm IN LOVE.  The machine I bought is a bitch to clean, so I'll be making large batches next time but it's super easy and I can control the oil and salt level (unlike smuckers natural).  yum! Another purchase worth the money.

• edited June 2018
    This is my first time watching The Office @CharmedPam and I love it! I was mad and H yesterday for not convincing me to watch it soon. We're almost through Season 2. 
  • This is my first time watching The Office @CharmedPam and I love it! I was mad and H yesterday for not convincing me to watch it soon. We're almost through Season 2. 
    I started Arrested Development for my a.m. workout watching, and I think I'll do Brooklyn 99 after that (if it's on netflix?) and THEN office.  I JUST finished new girl, and I was so sad.  I felt like they were my own friends and now they are gone.  Is that weird?  you'd tell me if that was weird right.....?

• This is my first time watching The Office @CharmedPam and I love it! I was mad and H yesterday for not convincing me to watch it soon. We're almost through Season 2. 
    I started Arrested Development for my a.m. workout watching, and I think I'll do Brooklyn 99 after that (if it's on netflix?) and THEN office.  I JUST finished new girl, and I was so sad.  I felt like they were my own friends and now they are gone.  Is that weird?  you'd tell me if that was weird right.....?
    Well if it's weird, then I'm weird, too. That's exactly how I felt when I finished Parks & Rec. 
  • Also, I'm telling my non-profit boss today that I'm leaving. I put it off as long as I could, but I've got to tell them. I don't think it's going to go well. 
  • Ugh, Pam, I am JEALOUS. That was my intention - to get everything done Saturday morning and then be able to happily veg out the rest of the weekend. Instead I went to a WW meeting and then did basically nothing else. I at least made gravy for the freezer and taco meat for later in the week yesterday.

Now I have to clean the house and do like 1,000 other things in the next 2.5 days before we go out of town.

I'm an obsessive planner so tell me if I'm nuts here. We have a VIP meet & greet type package for a concert on Wednesday. The receipt said we'd receive an email within a week of the event with details on the pre-show VIP stuff. I've received nothing and per an email I received in response to my inquiry, it hasn't gone out yet. How the fuck long am I supposed to wait? I have no idea what time I'm supposed to be downtown Wednesday and I'm super frustrated.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @6fsn It's smart to look at RTR this early, b/c they have limited sizes, so this helps make sure you get what you want.

@CharmedPam I cried when Sense8 left, so I don't think it's weird.  I think old Brooklyn 99 is on Netflix, most recent season is on Hulu.

@ShesSoCold I know that when I did the Melissa Etheridge meet and greet, I had a range of times given at ticket purchase and they told me I'd get confirmation of actual time the day before.  But it does such that they haven't told you yet.

My little old Pride is growing up and was announced onstage at regionally close to us big city Prides.  I'm so excited, and nervous now.  :smiley:  This weekend was a bunch of Pride work and some time at a new club and hanging out with K.  My home is definitely reflecting "it's pride season" right now.  Gross.
  • We had a productive weekend
    -Started Chiquito in undies!  He had two accidents Saturday and I've been keeping him in a pullup for sleeping which was FULL of all the things yesterday AM.   But then yesterday as long as he was in underwear he kept those bad boys dry!   He's off to daycare today in undies with a few backup pairs.   Fingers crossed that it takes!

I hate potty training.   It's messy and until I'm confident in my child I fear every car ride.  

-Yesterday Chiquita brought up the gifts at mass.   She was SO EXCITED that she was part of things.   Her bro brought us back to reality because we had to leave the church with him no less than FOUR TIMES due to his antics.   

-Spent the rest of the day cleaning up especially in my family / play room.   

Hey - here's a quick tip for parents: Before you put Cheerios or Goldfish away, take out half of them.   Take half of that group and put them under your coffee tables, couches, chairs and in the play kitchen.   Take the OTHER half and grind them up into the carpet.    
  • I'm back to my regular work gig today after being on a special assignment since mid-January so I'm re-settling in my cube and catching up on things.

The weekend started out well, vegged out much of Saturday until late afternoon when I had a nail appointment.  We also grilled out dinner.

Sunday was church and then we drove to a HS graduation party about on hour away.  During the drive over, my SIL called.  She and my brother are splitting up after almost 23 yrs of marriage.  While we weren't shocked, it's still very sad, especially for our 15 yr old nephew.  There's no drama, just grew apart and both are unhappy.  To top it off, my brother severely burnt his arm yesterday and is headed to an appointment at the Burn Center this afternoon.  Life sucks sometimes. 

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @6fsn what does a "strong offer" mean? I assumed you were just waiting to hear if he made the team or not. What else is there? I'm clueless on kid sports
  • kvruns said:
    @6fsn what does a "strong offer" mean? I assumed you were just waiting to hear if he made the team or not. What else is there? I'm clueless on kid sports
    Same!

Although super curious. This is a whole different world. 
  • Weekend was good until it felt like a truck hit me last night. Pretty sure it’s strep. :( 

We went to dinner Friday night. SIL and nephew came over. We went to visit my mom. Yesterday, we went  to the hs grad open house of our old neighbor. I wasn’t feeling great in the
    morning, but once I got home and sat down it was all over. I go to the doc in just over an hour. 
  • So my morning started off horribly.  My car wouldn't start.  At all.  The battery is only a year old, so I think the problem is the alternator.  It's a MINI Cooper, so I can't just take it to any ole' mechanic.  This is the first time I've taken it to an repair shop that specializes in foreign cars (that I chose).  Quite frankly, it's possible it needs more than a new alternator.  The car is 8 years old.

And, ugh, they were super busy when I got there.  I'm hoping to at least get ANSWERS today as to what is wrong, how much, and how long it will be there.  I have commitments for later in the week that I need my car for.  I'll need to make other arrangements and shuffle things around, otherwise.  But I'm not even sure if I'll hear back from them today.

Feeling a little bummed out about it all and will feel discombobulated until I know what the plan is.  Plus, I was planning to go to the bank at lunch, so that is another big wrench in the tasks I need to get done.

This weekend was good, overall.  It was relaxing.  Except for an old, underground pipe that broke for our next door rental unit.  We felt bad because our tenant had AirBnB guests who came in yesterday.  But they've been very nice about the situation...they can still stay there, they just can't use the kitchen sink...and, with any luck, that repair should be taken care of today.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    kvruns said:
    Same!

Each club has multiple teams that will play at different levels. His club top team is phenomenal. They played in the higher levels
    and up an age group and would still win everything. He got an early offer for second team that included being 1st back up goalie to the first team and 2nd overall back up. Early offers are overall rare. 

The other club has 5 teams. He’s never played for them and hasn’t been in their feeder system for coaches to know him at all. They only saw 1 night of tryouts. He got offered team 3. When we didn’t respond in the first hour (they didn’t have a decline button) they called to try to get him. 

And I fully realize how ridiculous it all is.
  • Oh no @short+sassy I’m so sorry. I think we’ve talked about how I used to have a mini too. I also had to replace the battery at one point. If you don’t have extended insurance, Warranty Direct basically saved my wallet. 

I hope the meeting with your boss goes okay @charlotte989875. Also, The Office is the best. 

@6fsn  I’ve done RTR a few times for black tie events and it’s always worked out well. I like that you can accessorize too. It’s good to look now since the closer to the event you get the more limited your options will be. 

This weekend was fun. FSIL and FBIL spent the weekend with us and we went out for drinks. We’ve missed them so it was nice to spend some time together. This week is all clinic, homework, and work. 

• 6fsn said:
    kvruns said:
    Same!

Each club has multiple teams that will play at different levels. His club top team is phenomenal. They played in the higher levels
    and up an age group and would still win everything. He got an early offer for second team that included being 1st back up goalie to the first team and 2nd overall back up. Early offers are overall rare. 

The other club has 5 teams. He’s never played for them and hasn’t been in their feeder system for coaches to know him at all. They only saw 1 night of tryouts. He got offered team 3. When we didn’t respond in the first hour (they didn’t have a decline button) they called to try to get him. 

And I fully realize how ridiculous it all is.
    This sounds like college recruitment! Does he enjoy it all?

FTR I don't find it ridiculous; I think (again as someone without kids) if kids loving playing and they're enjoying themselves, then go for it. It seems like for kids who just want to play, have fun, not take it super seriously there are options for them. And kids who are super into it, want to take it extra seriously, there are options for them.

I always loved playing, but I wasn't someone that was going to college on an athletic scholarship (an academic scholarship on the other hand...), and I was pretty good, but not the-best-athlete ever. Sometimes I hated playing with/against people that the game was the only thing ever that mattered. More variation in skill level/intensity would have been nice, IMO. 
  • levioosa said:

I hope the meeting with your boss goes okay @charlotte989875. Also, The Office is the best. 

This weekend was fun. FSIL and FBIL spent the weekend with us and we went out for drinks. We’ve missed them so it was nice to spend some time together. This week is all clinic, homework, and work. 

It actually went (surprisingly) better than I thought. I was halfway through a 2-year position and I thought they'd take it personally that I was leaving. But they said said they knew I had to do what was right for me (& my family). Hopefully quitting the second one goes just as well. 

Are you taking summer classes, or is this still your semester? When are you done?
  • levioosa said:

It actually went (surprisingly) better than I thought. I was halfway through a 2-year position and I thought they'd take it personally that I was leaving. But they said said they knew I had to do what was right for me (& my family). Hopefully quitting the second one goes just as well. 

Are you taking summer classes, or is this still your semester? When are you done?
    I’m never going to be done. Lol. I have school year round with only 2 week breaks in between each semester, sometimes less. I’m *supposed* to be done next May, but that depends on if I pass this pediatric class from hell. Pediatrics is the webMD of medicine. It’s all “hey, this could be completely normal! Or also cancer.” 

I’m glad your meeting went well! Fingers crossed the next job goes as smoothly. 

• The weekend was nice. Today has been kind of blah so far. A bad interview with a recruiter, a rejection for a job I interviewed for back in April and rainy weather.

I'm planning to cook guilty-pleasure food later. Hopefully that will help.
  • levioosa said:
    Oh no @short+sassy I’m so sorry. I think we’ve talked about how I used to have a mini too. I also had to replace the battery at one point. If you don’t have extended insurance, Warranty Direct basically saved my wallet. 

@6fsn  I’ve done RTR a few times for black tie events and it’s always worked out well. I like that you can accessorize too. It’s good to look now since the closer to the event you get the more limited your options will be. 

I do remember that you used to have a MINI.  I heard back from the shop.  The only thing that came back from the diagnostic was a temperature sensor thing...that I've known about for about 2 years and has never been a problem.  Despite that, just to be on the safe side, I told them to take care of it.  Though, that will be $770 (ugh).

They said the alternator seems to be fine and that my battery was just completely drained.  But, the problem with that is, why would my battery have completely drained.  My headlights automatically turn on/off, as needed.  And we didn't see them on yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it isn't that.

I expressed all that when they called me but, until the battery is at least 50% charged, they won't really have any answers for me as far as that goes.

But I'm at least tentatively feeling better that there is nothing majorly wrong and that I should have the car back today or tomorrow.

I've had after-market extended warranties in the past with other cars, but I don't have one for this car.  Thanks for the recommendation.  It might be time I got one, though my car might be too old to be eligible for one anymore.  However, I only put about 8K miles/year on it.  So it's really low mileage for it's age, a 2010 with 68K miles. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy is it possible that it's just battery failure?  Some of them can just stop working prematurely.   
  • banana468 said:
    @short+sassy is it possible that it's just battery failure?  Some of them can just stop working prematurely.   
    It's possible, though I'm not sure how likely/unlikely that is.  The last place I got a new battery was Firestone.  I even called them this morning to find out when it was replaced.  It was just in March '17, so the battery is only about a year old.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • still, @short+sassy, that sucks!  I hate (HATE) unexpected finances.

Wait, who loves them?

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2018
    banana468 said:
    @short+sassy is it possible that it's just battery failure?  Some of them can just stop working prematurely.   
    It's possible, though I'm not sure how likely/unlikely that is.  The last place I got a new battery was Firestone.  I even called them this morning to find out when it was replaced.  It was just in March '17, so the battery is only about a year old.
    Yeah it's possible it could be something else.   I know my Odyssey is a 2012 and I'm on the 3rd battery.   The new one that we got oh.....2.5 years ago crapped out mid winter.   Now we know that the previous owner did funky things with the car given my badass front window tints.   But all of that was removed and I still found myself using the jumper.

Also, you can look into buying a slow charger for the battery or getting a portable jumper.   I have one that will jump my car and also act as a portable light / battery pack that will run USB if we lose power.    That came in SUUPER handy one morning when I started my car after DH went to work and I had to charge it by myself in the garage. 

ETA - If you're interested I'll ask my resident geek and will let you know what we have should you want the details. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Yeah it's possible it could be something else.   I know my Odyssey is a 2012 and I'm on the 3rd battery.   The new one that we got oh.....2.5 years ago crapped out mid winter.   Now we know that the previous owner did funky things with the car given my badass front window tints.   But all of that was removed and I still found myself using the jumper.

Also, you can look into buying a slow charger for the battery or getting a portable jumper.   I have one that will jump my car and also act as a portable light / battery pack that will run USB if we lose power.    That came in SUUPER handy one morning when I started my car after DH went to work and I had to charge it by myself in the garage. 

ETA - If you're interested I'll ask my resident geek and will let you know what we have should you want the details. 

We thought about buying a portable jumper and decided not to.  Though I don't remember why.  I'll consult with my own resident geek as a reminder for why we didn't, lol.

Not related to this but, in the "more fun with car batteries" category.  We have a contraption that we can hook to my car's battery and run minor electricity to the house.  It's been super helpful for two different tropical storms.  One of them we were without power for 3 days and the other we were without power for 6 days.  It's not enough electricity to run the fridge or even a window a/c unit, but you can run a couple fans, the tv, and charge electrical devices all at the same time.  It's a world of difference just to have those few things working, when the power is out for days.  The device also has a "safety", where it will automatically stop running long before the car battery gets too low. 

During those times, the routine was run those few things for 90-120 minutes.  Pop back out to the car and run it for 20 minutes to fully recharge the battery.  Rinse and repeat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @charlotte98975- he loves every last minute.  He plays soccer at every recess watches any game available on tv.  When he broke his arm the only time he cried was when we wasn't allowed to play for 3 days and when they said no keeper with a cast. He still plays other sports too so there is that.
  • Oh!  I forgot to tell you all about my "almost" calamity this weekend.  So, I'd been debating about joining the South Beach Diet food delivery thing.  I got an e-mail last week that the first month was half off (based on two months, auto-delivery).

So I bit the bullet and joined.  I even signed up with a customer service person over the phone because the website was at a crawl.

At no point in time did anything on the website or the person I spoke to give me a warning that, apparently, almost all the meals are frozen.  I did Nutrisystems years ago and none of theirs are.

I signed into my account over the weekend...complete happenstance because I had a minor question...and saw a link for "Read these 6 tips before you get your first shipment" (something like that).  Phone guy didn't mention "tips".  My intro e-mail, which was basically just a receipt, didn't mention "tips".

I click on the link.  It's all kinds of advice on how to make "room in your freezer" for the 60+ meals you are about to receive.  One of their suggestions was literally buying an extra freezer!  Yet they don't feel the need to mention that 80% of the meals are frozen until AFTER people have placed their first order.  Oh.  Okay.

Utter horror descends down on me.  Who TF has room for 60+ meals in their freezer?!?!  I sure don't.  Perhaps this is a "minor" detail that should be emblazoned in multiple places across their website.  Astounding there is no warning/caution anywhere.

It had been a few days since I joined and I was praying the order hadn't shipped yet and it wasn't too late to cancel.  I was really freaking out.  Thank goodness!!!  I wasn't too late and I was able to cancel the order, along with halting any future auto-shipments.  Even though it worked out, I'm still really angry about it.  It was complete and total random luck that I found out and was able to stop it in time.  I would have been a basket case if I'd suddenly received boxes of frozen food and nowhere to put most of it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • S&S that's crazy!! They absolutely should warn you! I can't believe they ship them all out at once like that, too, instead of like once or twice a month.

Funny, though, because H's boss just gave us this gigantic sand-up freezer. Pretty sure it's bigger than my fridge. To bad you're not closer or I could have stored them for you!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • S&S that's crazy!! They absolutely should warn you! I can't believe they ship them all out at once like that, too, instead of like once or twice a month.

Funny, though, because H's boss just gave us this gigantic sand-up freezer. Pretty sure it's bigger than my fridge. To bad you're not closer or I could have stored them for you!

I kid you not, that was one of their "tips" also, lol.  To "borrow" freezer space from friends and family, smh.

When I cancelled, the CSR told me that I could order the meals a la carte, in order to not get so many at once.  Except it's 2-3x more expensive to do it that way.  Not only are the monthly shipments the cheapest anyway, but they constantly send out "offers"...like the 50% off the first month that I initially responded to...that area also only good on the monthly option. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker