Wedding Woes

Wait - why were YOU in the master bedroom, then?

Dear Prudence, 
My husband and I were asked by our neighbors a few years ago if we would check in on their elderly cat while they went on vacation. We happily agreed. They go on weeklong vacations or long-weekend trips four or five times a year, and it’s not a big deal. We get in the house through their garage (they don’t have a home security system), the cat stays indoors, and we spend 10 to 15 minutes with her a few times a day.

The last time they went on vacation, I noticed that there was an iPhone propped up against the pillows on the bed in the master bedroom. The camera was facing out and it was charging, plugged into the wall. I texted my neighbor and asked, “Is that a webcam in your bedroom?” She confirmed that it was, so I jokingly asked, “Are you concerned we’re not checking on your cat every day?” She said, “I don’t know why my husband has it set up, but it’s definitely not for you guys!” And that was it.

It feels kind of creepy and insulting. We’re not the type to go snooping through people’s things. Why do they have it set up? If they wanted it for security, wouldn’t they have the webcam set up near the outside doors? If they wanted to spy on us, they weren’t very subtle. The iPhone was out there on the bed, plain as day, but they have the webcam set up only in the area where they knew we would be every day. It’s not even to watch the cat, since she is behind closed doors and doesn’t go in that room! Do we just let this go? We’re supposed to watch their cat a few more times this summer.
—Cat Sitter on Camera

Re: Wait - why were YOU in the master bedroom, then?

•  She said, “I don’t know why my husband has it set up, but it’s definitely not for you guys!”  and also.....they got their answer. 

• Yeah, but she says that it was set up in an area that they knew the neighbours would be in - so it sounds like they do need to go to the master bedroom to get to the cat.  Which sounds like a confusing house set up - is the master bedroom right off the garage, or right off a laundry room or whatever place is adequate for a cat?

I would be concerned about that being a fire risk, being propped up against a bunch of pillows and still plugged in.

• edited June 2018
    baconsmom said:
    Dear Prudence, 
    My husband and I were asked by our neighbors a few years ago if we would check in on their elderly cat while they went on vacation. We happily agreed. They go on weeklong vacations or long-weekend trips four or five times a year, and it’s not a big deal. We get in the house through their garage (they don’t have a home security system), the cat stays indoors, and we spend 10 to 15 minutes with her a few times a day.

The last time they went on vacation, I noticed that there was an iPhone propped up against the pillows on the bed in the master bedroom. The camera was facing out and it was charging, plugged into the wall. I texted my neighbor and asked, “Is that a webcam in your bedroom?” She confirmed that it was, so I jokingly asked, “Are you concerned we’re not checking on your cat every day?” She said, “I don’t know why my husband has it set up, but it’s definitely not for you guys!” And that was it.

It feels kind of creepy and insulting. We’re not the type to go snooping through people’s things. Why do they have it set up? If they wanted it for security, wouldn’t they have the webcam set up near the outside doors? If they wanted to spy on us, they weren’t very subtle. The iPhone was out there on the bed, plain as day, but they have the webcam set up only in the area where they knew we would be every day. It’s not even to watch the cat, since she is behind closed doors and doesn’t go in that room! Do we just let this go? We’re supposed to watch their cat a few more times this summer.
    —Cat Sitter on Camera

Uh, yeah. 

What else are you going to do? "The fact that you have an iPhone in your bedroom makes me uncomfortable and I don't want to take care of your cat"?? How ridiculous does that sound!

ETA - the more I think about this, the crazier I think LW is. Even if it was for LW, there's nothing wrong with home security and being careful. LW described them as neighbors, not super close friends. You don't know what kinds of people people are. Hell, my cousin was murdered by his best freaking friend. These people might have valuables in their bedroom and having the phone there helps in two ways - LW will see it if she goes in the room and it's recording so if LW is doing something fishy, they'll see. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • What were you planning to do in the bedroom??

• I read that letter a few times and still don't understand the part that says the IPhone was in an area where "they knew we would be every day".  Yet, it isn't where the cat would ever be.  Those two statements are the opposite of each other.

Whatever it is, I think the LW is being too sensitive.  There are other reasons they might have it set up.  If the LW doesn't mind watching the cat, then they should continue to be good neighbors and watch the cat.

As an aside, I hope the neighbors, in turn, do nice things for the LW.  It's one thing to "not mind" because it is easy to help.  But I don't think that takes the onus off the neighbors to show appreciation for the big favor.  Like bringing over a thank-you bouquet of flowers or brining back local edible goodies from their travels.  (psst...Tortuga rum cakes if you go to the Caribbean)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    What were you planning to do in the bedroom??

That would have been another solution to the problem, lol.  Put on a show and then the neighbors would NOT want to keep their IPhone there...or maybe they would ;).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    As a side note, there are waayyyy cheaper, sneakier, easier options for webcams over propping an iPhone up on pillows with a charger. Which also makes me think that maybe the neighbors were deliberately trying to make a statement. I'm not sure I believe LW's comments at all. 
    Yeah, it's just not passing my smell test on any fronts.
  • who leaves an iPhone plugged in on a bed while on vacation for a week?   

• Casadena said:

who leaves an iPhone plugged in on a bed while on vacation for a week?   

yeah, like how did they even know directions to get where they had to go to when the gps was left at home?

• Casadena said:

yeah, like how did they even know directions to get where they had to go to when the gps was left at home?
    Everyone and their brother has an old phone don't they?  We have an old Nexus that sits in the house that's now essentially a tablet.   It's not too far fetched to have a phone that can access wifi but not make calls. 
  • banana468 said:
    Casadena said:

Everyone and their brother has an old phone don't they?  We have an old Nexus that sits in the house that's now essentially a tablet.   It's not too far fetched to have a phone that can access wifi but not make calls. 

Honestly, we don't.  The only reason we ever get new phones is if the old one is broken or you can essentially trade in for a discount on a new one.  Really, I just think it's crazy to leave a phone on and plugged in for an entire week while you're not there.
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:

Honestly, we don't.  The only reason we ever get new phones is if the old one is broken or you can essentially trade in for a discount on a new one.  Really, I just think it's crazy to leave a phone on and plugged in for an entire week while you're not there.
    ditto. For that reason alone, it's either broken or a trade in.  I have two phones though, one is a work phone - which I'd never turn into a spy cam either.

• I have an old phone with a broken screen that we just put packing tape over and use as an ipod. 

I agree that it's weird for these people to have a phone on, propped up and plugged in for a week while they're gone, but it's weirder for LW to be personally upset about it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I totally agree it's weird to leave the phone on and plugged in for all that time.   It's not really smart from an electronics / fire hazard perspective.

But to have an old phone is NBD.   Especially w/ Apple I found that my phones were starting to be a PITA with no support for OS or having such minimal battery life that I needed to upgrade but that didn't mean that stripping the phone of a lot of apps and using as a tiny tablet weren't bad.    
  • Keeping your phone plugged in all the time could blow out the battery. I found this out the hard way.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Keeping your phone plugged in all the time could blow out the battery. I found this out the hard way.

Yikes!  Good to know.  I don't typically keep it plugged in all the time.  But have probably done that a number of times on weekends.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:
    Keeping your phone plugged in all the time could blow out the battery. I found this out the hard way.
    That was the first thing I thought of!  Why would they deliberately create a fire hazard while they're away from home!