Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Plated Menu HELP!!

Hello! My fiance and I are having difficultly with our menu options. We have a very nice venue that has a plated option available that includes chicken & fish, then beef starting at a $6 upgrade. We are considering doing a chicken, fish and obviously the vegetarian option. We are set on the chicken and vegetarian option, which of the two fish would you recommend??? Does is seem the haddock will have too much of the same flavor as the eggplant with not many options? Just worried about salmon being too fishy..

CHICKEN COQ AU VIN BLANC- white wine bacon cream sauce

EGGPLANT PARMESAN

** Two fish options:

HONEY SOY GLAZED SALMON

PARMESAN BAKED HADDOCK- lemon garlic sauce

Also would it be too weird not having a beef option? Sorry I am in crunch mode and just very indecisive. Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Re: Plated Menu HELP!!

• Hello! My fiance and I are having difficultly with our menu options. We have a very nice venue that has a plated option available that includes chicken & fish, then beef starting at a $6 upgrade. We are considering doing a chicken, fish and obviously the vegetarian option. We are set on the chicken and vegetarian option, which of the two fish would you recommend??? Does is seem the haddock will have too much of the same flavor as the eggplant with not many options? Just worried about salmon being too fishy..

CHICKEN COQ AU VIN BLANC- white wine bacon cream sauce

EGGPLANT PARMESAN

** Two fish options:

HONEY SOY GLAZED SALMON

PARMESAN BAKED HADDOCK- lemon garlic sauce

Also would it be too weird not having a beef option? Sorry I am in crunch mode and just very indecisive. Thank you in advance for any advice!!

I think salmon is more of a crowd pleaser.
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Definitely salmon. And I’m fine without beef personally. 
  • I agree to go with the salmon and no not having a beef option isn't weird.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I’d go with the salmon.  The haddock’s flavors aren’t similar to eggplant parmigiana, but I think salmon is more popular than haddock.  I kind of put chicken and salmon/haddock in the same category, and beef in its own, but the fact that it costs more makes me understand why you’d give pause.

Also I LOVE eggplant parmigiana at weddings, it’s what I order whenever it’s offered- it’s a great vegetarian dish but do you have any vegans in attendance?  I’d so it wouldn’t work for them.  (If you don’t you’re good to go :) )
  • When it comes to the "fishy" a lot has to do with the quality of the fish they're bringing in - js...  I also agree with the PP in wait until your tasting then decide because you may find you absolutely hate the fish options..  

The meal options you listed seem very light flavor profiles overall.  The beef would be a balance for those that want heartier, however, $6 more considering there's not a pot roast or sliced beef option to keep even with the chicken, that's a potential huge hike.  Of what is listed, Salmon if you must choose a fish because it's a "heavier" hearty fish over Haddock which is light and flaky.  The Haddock is also going to be too close to the eggplant for profile given the info listed.  Ultimately, only you and FI have to decide based on what they actually taste like.
  • Salmon, definitely. It still tastes good even when overcooked, because it is so high in fat. And if you don't eat the skin, it won't be too fishy, as long as it's fresh. I love haddock, but it is very easy to dry out.
  • The salmon option is likely to be more popular. I think it sounds delicious. A beef dish isn't necessary.
  • Coming from beef country, I would recommend getting the beef, but understand that it is not always a consideration for some areas. I would get the salmon as the fish choice.

Ensure you do a tasting. You may find that you don't like one of the options when you try.

Agree with PP who wanted to ensure that you have no one that is following a Vegan diet. If so, you need to ensure that you have anything that can be modified to their dietary need. Add on a line for allergies/dietary requirements to the RSVP and then you will know.

• I love haddock, but everyone is right above- it is a very "fishy" fish and a bold flavour. 

Salmon is definitely a crowd pleaser and not too "fishy". 

I think fish, chicken or veg is an absolutely fine offer. No need for beef. 

But I totally agree- go to the tasting! You may be surprised. 
  • i'd choose the salmon over haddock