Wedding Woes

Happy Tuesday. And Birthday (to me!)

Happy Tuesday All! It’s my birthday!! I love birthdays. 

We’re buying a washer/dryer tonight for the new house. I think I know what we’re getting but does anyone have recommendations (or things they love/hate/wish they had)?

H also has a job interview today. So big day all around. 

Re: Happy Tuesday. And Birthday (to me!)

• Happy birthday @charlotte989875 !

As far as washer/dryers, we had ours repaired recently and the guy said the mechanical units are far easier to repair and last a lot longer than the newfangled contraptions with all the fancy computerized stuff. It's food for thought. 

Going to a sushi dinner tonight, can't wait. Love sushi... 

• edited July 2018
    Happy birthday @charlotte989875 !

As far as washer/dryers, we had ours repaired recently and the guy said the mechanical units are far easier to repair and last a lot longer than the newfangled contraptions with all the fancy computerized stuff. It's food for thought. 

That’s super helpful; we’re decided between a pretty standard Maytag and an LG with all the fancy steam dry settings. I like all the settings and options but I’m wondering if we really need them and if they’re worth the money
  • Happy birthday, @charlotte989875! Hopefully, 23 is just as great 22  ;)
  • Happy birthday @charlotte989875

The AC is broken at work. It's currently 75 degrees in here, but I'm sure it will be up by 80 in no time. 
  • Happy Birthday, @Charlotte989875!
    I think I'm getting all my appliances from Sears outlet from now on.  They've been good to me so far! And my fridge broke down, which came with my house so who knows how old it is? - and it was only a $300 repair.  Good as new :smile:

tonight, I'm cooking spaghetti and meatballs and then we're going to attempt "Skyscraper" yet again.  We tried to go yesterday but we were late for it since I had to turn around 5 minutes into the drive because I "wasn't sure" I turned the stove off.
    It was off.  I've never not come back to see if I turned something off or left the door unlocked to have it still on/unlocked.  What is happening to me in my old age?

That’s super helpful; we’re decided between a pretty standard Maytag and an LG with all the fancy steam dry settings. I like all the settings and options but I’m wondering if we really need them and if they’re worth the money
    We just got a Samsung washer and dryer with all the fancy settings. We use the wrinkle release option in the dryer which uses the steam function all the time. It is fantastic to not have to iron if things get left in the dryer for a while.

Only down side is the washer drum is sooooo deep that my 5'4 body can't reach the bottom. I have to use one of those grabber things to fish out most of the clothes, not just stragglers stuck to the bottom.  Not a huge deal, but annoying. Love the capacity that came with it though.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2018
    Happy birthday!! 

We haven't bought Goldfish crackers recently, but all the ones that are recalled are ones that my kids like.  But my kids want Cheezits over Goldfish most of the time.  ;)

SSDD around here.  Happy to have tomorrow off.  I think we're going to wake up slow and then maybe go to the movies (DefConn has a GC burning a hole in his pocket).  I might also see if there's a local park or something else (free or inexpensive) that we can do.  I should also do some stuff around the house that we've been neglecting because we have been out of fucks about the state of our house recently.
  • @charlotte989875. we have a whirlpool cabrio washer (top loader).  My only complaint is that heavier bedding and blankets cannot be washed together (like 2 fleece blankets in one load is a nope) or else the whole thing shuts off because it's out of balance and you're pulling soaking, heavy stuff out of the washer.  I try to be aware of it, but it's happened a couple times and is always a soggy mess.  Other than that, I love it.  

We have a standard dryer (whirlpool as well) and no complaints there.  

Happy birthday and good luck to your H on his job interview!  I didn't realize he was looking.  Is everything going okay with his job or is this just something that fell in his lap?

I had no idea I possessed so much info about washers and dryers until I wrote the (below) post, lol.

There is definitely something to be said for "the simpler, the better".  I supply a washer/dryer set with all my rentals.  They are always pretty basic sets that I've either bought new or "gently" used.  When they're used, I don't even usually know the history.  I've gotten burned a couple times...ironically, both times were used appliance dealers...but, overall, the basic sets work for years.  And, unless it is a major component that goes wrong, my H can usually fix the occasional problem.  Though, my H is pretty handy and mechanically inclined.

Depending on your all's laundry usage, it might be worth the money to spring for a "larger capacity" washer/dryer.  One of the worst things to do for the longevity of those machines is to regularly over fill them.  No more than 1/2-3/4ths of the basket capacity.  I've started giving my tenants sort of like a "best practices" addendum packet with their lease.  That is one of the items in it.  Guess why, lol.

For my own home, I do have one of those fancy LG sets.  One of the best bargains I've ever found.  The set, including the pedestals, is about $2600 brand new.  Right after I bought my house, I got them used from H's friend for $600.  Supposedly, they were only a year old.  And she was selling them because she found she didn't like "front loading" machines.

As it turned out, the washer leaked.  Mmm...hmmm.  But my H easily fixed that with a waterproof caulk that he re-applies about once a year.  So, pfft, joke was on her.  My favorite part about them is there is a "Hand Wash", extra gentle setting.  I wash bras and pantyhose on that setting and they come out just fine.  I also never have to iron anything, as long as I take them right out of the dryer.  The quick "steam dry" also does the trick, just in case I don't.

But would I have normally paid over $2K for those conveniences?  I would not have, lol.  I've owned this set for 7 years now and, other than the washer leaking, have not had any other issues.

Warning about a front loading washer, if you haven't had one before.  You have to take the clothes out of the washer within about 6-12 hours of the wash cycle.  Or at least open the washer door.  Otherwise, they start smelling mildewed quick.  And you have to wash the whole load over again. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Happy Birthday, Charlotte!!

I was home with a migraine yesterday. Which sucks because I had a lot I needed to get done at the office so I'm playing catch up now and I wanted to save the PTO day.

I found out yesterday that H's favorite restaurant (where he proposed to me) is closing. on Sunday. I don't think we'll get a chance to go there before they close, which is sad. H was very sad. It's hard to find good Italian around here that isn't pretentious and fancy. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

The AC is broken at work. It's currently 75 degrees in here, but I'm sure it will be up by 80 in no time. 
    Trade offices @climbingwife ?  I have to wear a sweater in here because it's so freaking cold in here!

@ShesSoCold, my thoughts are with you.  A few of my favorite places have closed down and I can't find replacements.  It's literally the worst.  I mean, if I loved the place so much, surely others did?  but apparently not.

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Happy Birthday, @charlotte989875!  My granddaughter turns 4 today!

DD has Samsung appliances. Their 3 year old refrigerator has been repaired 3 times already for the same.damn.thing.  Only Sears people are even willing to repair it.  They also have the "exploding" washing machine.  They can only use it on one cycle to avoid "issues".

I highly recommend sticking with appliance people for appliances.  My repair man said that there is NO point in purchasing high end appliances because none are built to last anymore.  He said he would never suggest buying a washer that does not have a built in agitator because to repair those is extremely costly.  Our spin cycle goes out of whack constantly with this new washer.  It is supposed to "sense" things to avoid that, but.....nope.  It takes a walk constantly.  Repair guy also said that even if the washer "says" it can do rugs, comforters, etc., he does not recommend using it for those bigger items. 

@short & sassy, I have many friends that say they experience lots of mold and mildew issues with those front loading washers.

@CharmedPam, anxiety as we age is the devil.  I used to be "that person" who would open the garage, pull up a lawn chair, and watch storms as they blew through. We had sirens go off, which would send my DD to the basement in a heartbeat.  I'd remain upstairs waiting for the pizza to be delivered!   Now I dread them because all I think about is whether the power would go out, whether the basement would get water, etc.  I guess it's legit that it heightens with age :-(

Trade offices @climbingwife ?  I have to wear a sweater in here because it's so freaking cold in here!

@ShesSoCold, my thoughts are with you.  A few of my favorite places have closed down and I can't find replacements.  It's literally the worst.  I mean, if I loved the place so much, surely others did?  but apparently not.

See, that's how it was last week! I was FREEZING cold all last week. Now, I'm sweating. 

• As far as washer/dryers, we had ours repaired recently and the guy said the mechanical units are far easier to repair and last a lot longer than the newfangled contraptions with all the fancy computerized stuff. It's food for thought. 
    My parents have both their gas stove and their central AC unit from the 60s. (I think still - if not, replacement was recent.) They also have a friend who is an appliance repair guy. He told them when I was a kid to keep that going as long as possible because the fixes were so easy.
  • Happy birthday!!!

I grew up with a front loading washer and dryer at my parents’ house and I have to say, I really miss it. We have a standard Samsung (without agitator) set up now and while the drum is huge and deep, it hurts my back (5’1”). Im literally on one foot tippy toed to get to the bottom of it. It also says it can handle bedding loads but most of the time it gets off balanced with a comforter and then it’s a pain in the ass to readjust everything. I’ve already told FI that for our next house I want a front loader set up with the pedestals. They do have a mildew problem, but for the most part if you leave the door slightly cracked when not in use it’s fine. 

Homework, housecleaning and nails today. I’m still under the weather. I’m ready to be better. It’s going to be 107 today and 109 tomorrow. Our electricity this month should be fun. But I’d rather pay it than try to survive with the house at 85. 

• @MobKaz I had the exploding Samsung washing machine as well. I LOVED that washer but was not happy with the "fix" that they offered, so I chose the credit instead and bought a Samsung front loader. I absolutely hate my front loading washing machine but H won't let me buy a new one. I would go back to my top loader in a heartbeat. Samsung does have a new version of the top loader with the built-in sink (that hopefully doesn't explode) and I really want it. We don't have a sink in our mudroom where the washer is so it was super convenient to have it built into the washer for hand washing and rinsing out stains quickly.
  • MobKaz said:

@short & sassy, I have many friends that say they experience lots of mold and mildew issues with those front loading washers.

It's the biggest complaint you'll typically find for front load washers.

I forgot to add, I also keep the washer door open after a wash, until the inside has dried.  I suppose I could also manually dry the inside after each wash.  But sometimes my laziness knows no bounds, lol.

If your friends with this issue haven't already tried it, tell them to do the same thing.

I have no issues with a mold/mildew smell as long as I take the clothes out the same day and then leave the washer door open, until the tub dries out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We really hate our washer, so I wouldn't recommend it!  It gets off balanced very easily.  I had the set I wanted all picked out, read all the reviews, then I went in store.  We could save $200 on a different set that was slightly bigger.  That was what we got and I never researched.  So the idiocy that is our washer is all my fault.  We have had very good luck with LG appliances recently.  Our fridge, over the stove microwave, box unit A/C, and big TV are all LG and doing great!  We are sticking with LG for a while, when we need something new!

Last night was nice, we didn't really do anything.  DD was lounging with me most of the night and I was loving the cuddles!

Tonight will probably be some more straightening up for our BBQ on Saturday.  Tomorrow we are going to the Phillies game.  It's a day game and kids get to walk the bases afterwards!  So we will probably stay for that.  Also, its the last game Chase Utley will be in town before his retirement (unless they meet in the playoffs).  Even though he is a Dodger now, I still love him!  I hope he plays or at least gets an at bat.

Happy birthday and good luck to your H on his job interview!  I didn't realize he was looking.  Is everything going okay with his job or is this just something that fell in his lap?

I had no idea I possessed so much info about washers and dryers until I wrote the (below) post, lol.

There is definitely something to be said for "the simpler, the better".  I supply a washer/dryer set with all my rentals.  They are always pretty basic sets that I've either bought new or "gently" used.  When they're used, I don't even usually know the history.  I've gotten burned a couple times...ironically, both times were used appliance dealers...but, overall, the basic sets work for years.  And, unless it is a major component that goes wrong, my H can usually fix the occasional problem.  Though, my H is pretty handy and mechanically inclined.

Depending on your all's laundry usage, it might be worth the money to spring for a "larger capacity" washer/dryer.  One of the worst things to do for the longevity of those machines is to regularly over fill them.  No more than 1/2-3/4ths of the basket capacity.  I've started giving my tenants sort of like a "best practices" addendum packet with their lease.  That is one of the items in it.  Guess why, lol.

For my own home, I do have one of those fancy LG sets.  One of the best bargains I've ever found.  The set, including the pedestals, is about $2600 brand new.  Right after I bought my house, I got them used from H's friend for $600.  Supposedly, they were only a year old.  And she was selling them because she found she didn't like "front loading" machines.

As it turned out, the washer leaked.  Mmm...hmmm.  But my H easily fixed that with a waterproof caulk that he re-applies about once a year.  So, pfft, joke was on her.  My favorite part about them is there is a "Hand Wash", extra gentle setting.  I wash bras and pantyhose on that setting and they come out just fine.  I also never have to iron anything, as long as I take them right out of the dryer.  The quick "steam dry" also does the trick, just in case I don't.

But would I have normally paid over $2K for those conveniences?  I would not have, lol.  I've owned this set for 7 years now and, other than the washer leaking, have not had any other issues.

Warning about a front loading washer, if you haven't had one before.  You have to take the clothes out of the washer within about 6-12 hours of the wash cycle.  Or at least open the washer door.  Otherwise, they start smelling mildewed quick.  And you have to wash the whole load over again. 

He was kind of looking but not seriously. He’s bored at his job and wants more responsibility, but the company is relatively new so there isn’t a clear development plan for any employees (I guess a typical tech company problem) so he just put a few apps out and got a call. Depending on the offer he’ll try and counter with his current company or make the move. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Rainy day at the beach and everything is pissing me off- server, kids, husband. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    Happy birthday @charlotte989875! Good luck to your H.

Being micromanaged today. I have a temporary job to pay a little cash while waiting for employers I have interviewed with to "get back to" me. Sigh.
  • Sorry @6fsn - can you find a coffee shop and disappear for an hour or so by yourself?

Happy Birthday @charlotte989875 !

SSDD here and I have no input on washers...

• I have been having "interesting" days at work this week, lol.  We have visitors from the job site in Indonesia, so there is just a lot going on.  Not really positive or negative days, just being given "out of the norm" tasks.  The Client Big Boss (who works out of our office) has even come and talked to me twice.  Super rare!  I can count on one hand the number of times he has come to my office with a work request, lol.

I enjoy being incognito, the majority of the time ;).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Happy Birthday @charlotte989875! I was going to chime in on the washing machine but I think you will be happy with the Maytag. We had some for years. Now we have Bosch (they were on sale). I love the washer but the dryer drives me crazy because it leaves damp spots all the time! For those of you with mildew problems on frontloaders, leaving the door open and wiping the gasket helps. I also run a cleaning product through mine every few months. Tide makes it.