Wedding Woes

SIL started it, but you kept it going.

Dear Prudence,

My husband and I live in a very desirable vacation spot and have a guest room. It has twin beds and a private bath; my twin stepdaughters shared it until a few years ago. We kept the beds (they’re nice), and we have a blowup air mattress for the living room. My sister-in-law and her partner have visited us at least twice a year since our girls went off to college. We pick them up from the airport, feed them, and play tour guide if we have time. My sister-in-law, after her last visit, decided to email me to lecture me about beds. Twin beds, she wrote, are “childish and inconvenient for adults” and said we should buy a new one for our guests. She included links to her Amazon favorites. She included this on a family email list so everyone got one. I saw red and emailed back a cost breakdown of a trip to our location and a link to a local motel, and I concluded that holiday travels were on hold for everyone for the near future. This started World War III.

My sister-in-law has always been brusque, to put it charitably, but I have never had a direct insult like this leveled in my face. My husband told me I overreacted, even though he agrees with me on every point I made. He says his sister is just “like that” and we can’t punish everyone for his sister’s mistakes. But he also says that telling her to get a motel is rude if we still allow everyone else to stay with us. I love my husband and his peaceable nature, but right now I am ready to send him to the other room to sleep in a twin bed. Am I out of line here? We have been married six years and nothing like this has come up before—but we are also a thousand miles away from his family.

—Bed Brouhaha

Re: SIL started it, but you kept it going.

• I will say that I agree with Prudie's response how people glossing over asshole behavior by just being accepting of 'that's how they are'...No, they're that way because you allow it.  Call people on being an asshole and they may change, or they may leave you alone.  And if the latter happens, LW doesn't need to worry about how SIL feels about her beds. 

I think SIL was really entitled in trying to boss LW around, but LW should have never entered the fray of an e-mail fight.  She should have just said, "I'm sorry you feel that way." and left it at that. Or straight up ignored it. Or had her husband call his sister and hash it out.  It sounds like SIL was baiting LW and she fell into the trap.  

IF it were me and my home, I'd try to at least have an easily movable bed frames and furniture in the guest room so I could push the twins together to make one larger bed for couples.  
  • I probably would have done something similar with the pricing and hotel links but drawn the line at banning everyone from staying for the foreseeable future. If SIL still wants to come, fine - but I would not hear one word about her dislike of the sleeping arrangements.
  • Yeah, LW overreacted a bit here. I do agree with her, on most points though. If my house isn't good enough for you, for whatever reason, I'll be happy to recommend a hotel.

The breakdown of what she would have paid and the now allowing anyone else to stay at their home is too much, though. It's not everyone else's issue that SIL is an ass and if LW and her H are okay with people staying there, then there's no problem there. 

LW should have sent the link to the hotel and called it a day.

In regards to "this started WWIII", if anyone else had something to say to me about it, I'd repeat what I just said - "I'm happy to open my home to guests but I'm not willing to pay to replace things that I don't see as necessary. If this doesn't work for some people, I'll gladly recommend a hotel and plan to meet for lunch."
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Having sex and then getting a whole bed to myself sounds amazing. Why do you need to be on top of your spouse? 

Y'all covered everything else
  • So what I would have done, as a joke emailed her and everyone included on that -  "Oh great.  I see you chose out a few beds for us.  You can have them shipped on such and such date since I'll be home for the delivery then".  and then that should shut her up.
    Yup.   

1) LW handled this poorly.   Even if SIL was rude, the reply all function sucks.
    2) LW should have done exactly what @CharmedPam suggested.   "Oh is that an offer to buy new beds?  Thank you!   You can have them delivered to us between X and Y dates.   Please let me know if you have a favorite bedding color or thread count."

And seriously?  telling the rest of the family that no one is allowed to visit because they're related to someone with no filter?   My guess is that the rest of the family can now start to say that the H here married someone just like his sister. 

Wife should now:
    -Apologize to the rest of the family.  Let all know she is sorry for the outburst and the previous protocol of visits stands.
    -Tell SIL she is sorry for the outburst and but there are no plans to change the current mattress situation. 
  • Yeah, LW overreacted a bit here. I do agree with her, on most points though. If my house isn't good enough for you, for whatever reason, I'll be happy to recommend a hotel.

The breakdown of what she would have paid and the now allowing anyone else to stay at their home is too much, though. It's not everyone else's issue that SIL is an ass and if LW and her H are okay with people staying there, then there's no problem there. 

In regards to "this started WWIII", if anyone else had something to say to me about it, I'd repeat what I just said - "I'm happy to open my home to guests but I'm not willing to pay to replace things that I don't see as necessary. If this doesn't work for some people, I'll gladly recommend a hotel and plan to meet for lunch."
    I think it started WWIII because she then called off all visits from all family members all because SIL told her to buy new beds.   So LW majorly overreacted. 
  • banana468 said:
    Yeah, LW overreacted a bit here. I do agree with her, on most points though. If my house isn't good enough for you, for whatever reason, I'll be happy to recommend a hotel.

I think it started WWIII because she then called off all visits from all family members all because SIL told her to buy new beds.   So LW majorly overreacted. 
    Oh I agree. My last paragraph was in response to anyone defending SIL.

But yeah, I also agree with you that LW should apologize to the family. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I agree that LWs response wasn’t the best course of action, but I have to say it made me laugh. The petty part of me would want to respond exactly with that. 

I applaud the LW for putting the SIL in her place, but then she went over the top.  She should have left it at something like the bolded.

Especially the banning all family from vacations.  I'm wondering if other family members stepped in on the SIL's side and the LW didn't mention it.  Because, otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was actually with the LW, even through most of the email, until she banned everyone from coming. I think the cost breakdown was snarky, but not OOL because SIL had audacity to include everyone on the email. 

But yeah collective punishment doesn’t work so apologize to the other family members and move on. 
    Agreed.   Even a "If you'd like a new mattress the cost of one is probably equivalent to about 5 nights in the local hotel. "  

But the banning everyone just makes the LW sound like one bad apple spoiled the field trip for the entire class. 
  • Agree with PP who were with LW until she banned everyone from the house.  It makes me feel like there was some sort of pent-up resentment and she decided this was how she was going to stop people from staying with them every time they’re in town.

I’d be a bit more on LW’s side if this had taken place in person at a family party in front of everyone.  People blurt things out impulsively in the heat of the moment.  The beauty of email is that you have a minute to have your initial reaction, then take a few breaths, then craft a response that shuts down SIL while keeping your cool.  That LW couldn’t do this really makes me feel there’s more going on.
  • eileenrob said:
    Agree with PP who were with LW until she banned everyone from the house.  It makes me feel like there was some sort of pent-up resentment and she decided this was how she was going to stop people from staying with them every time they’re in town.

I’d be a bit more on LW’s side if this had taken place in person at a family party in front of everyone.  People blurt things out impulsively in the heat of the moment.  The beauty of email is that you have a minute to have your initial reaction, then take a few breaths, then craft a response that shuts down SIL while keeping your cool.  That LW couldn’t do this really makes me feel there’s more going on.
    Word.

There's something that any grown up needs to do with emails and that's to not send one when you're pissed.     

She's now made her twin bed and needs to sleep in it.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2018
    LW set a boundary and set it deep with someone who needed the matching level returned to them.  Who the heck sends bed preferences to an entire family list!  WTELF!  

My thought is the twins may come back to visit and do not want to sleep together.  But also, this arrangement was costing them by playing tour guide and chef, and it's o.k. to say "enough is enough.." IMO..