Wedding Woes
Options

What's up Wednesday!

2»

Re: What's up Wednesday!

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    The red light cameras are a hassle; at the same time, lots of people will break the law if they think there's no one watching or they can get away with it.  When they put ours in, emergency room and injury related accidents dropped, significantly.  When the cameras came down, they went back to pre-camera levels.

My issue is that they were could be used in other ways rather than just "who ran the red light?" and I wasn't comfortable with the lack of restrictions on their time/usage.
    I’m pretty against red light cameras for minor traffic issues but they did solve a murder of a college student here about 5-10 years ago. 
  • Options
    Re:cameras.
    we have speed cameras on the highways and major roads. It is AH-MAZING how well they work. Speed limit is 140km, camera goes off at 141. They do nothing else except monitor speed. Mistakes happen and you can contest it but for the most part, everyone drives below the limit. (Except for “those” drivers but they are easy to watch out for) There are very few police here and the ones that do exist don’t waste time watching for speeders. When DH and I were in the states last spring, we drove from Miami to Charleston in record time just because we could basically. It was so freeing to be able to speed a little, lol. (We didn’t really go that fast, it was just the idea of being able to speed) We just kept saying, can you imagine if there were cameras on this road? [Location] would make a fortune if cameras were on This road. Etc. 
    There are red light cameras downtown. Idk how they work exactly but I think they just take a picture of the intersection when the light turns red. If you are in it you get a ticket. I could be wrong though. 

• Options
    Ro041 said:
    Today has been the most aggravating day that I feel like that meme where the guy just throws all the papers everyone and yells "f it"....but then he comes back and has to pick them up the next Monday.
    I love that one!

My red light ticket was a video.  I couldn't fight it.  I mean I clearly did not stop.

Yep, there are videos where I am also.  Where I live, drivers can turn right on red for most lights, but there are a few where you can't.  I got one because, although I stopped at the light before making my right turn, I didn't stop LONG enough, smh.  The city guy pulled up the video and we watched it together.  I vainly tried to point out there were no cars coming and I did stop, even if it apparently wasn't long enough, but he wouldn't overturn it. 

They outlawed them in the parish/county next to Orleans parish.  But then, I don't know what changed, but they are back again.

For Orleans parish, a local attorney was really campaigning against them and was talking about filing a class action lawsuit.  But, as far as I know, nothing ever came of it.  In his research, he found that if the cameras were delayed by just one more second, it would cut out 80% of the tickets (other than speeding). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Re:cameras.
    we have speed cameras on the highways and major roads. It is AH-MAZING how well they work. Speed limit is 140km, camera goes off at 141. They do nothing else except monitor speed. Mistakes happen and you can contest it but for the most part, everyone drives below the limit. (Except for “those” drivers but they are easy to watch out for) There are very few police here and the ones that do exist don’t waste time watching for speeders. When DH and I were in the states last spring, we drove from Miami to Charleston in record time just because we could basically. It was so freeing to be able to speed a little, lol. (We didn’t really go that fast, it was just the idea of being able to speed) We just kept saying, can you imagine if there were cameras on this road? [Location] would make a fortune if cameras were on This road. Etc. 
    There are red light cameras downtown. Idk how they work exactly but I think they just take a picture of the intersection when the light turns red. If you are in it you get a ticket. I could be wrong though. 

Where I live, they take two pictures.  One, as a car starts to enter the intersection.  Two, as the car is about halfway/most through the intersection. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker