Chit Chat

Venue Issues

Hello everyone! 

I booked a venue with an all inclusive package so I would have easier planning. So I recently emailed my venue with a list of questions. (It took them a week to answer my email.) From what my fiancé and I understood the wedding cake was included in the venue pricing. It clearly states in the dinner selections that “your wedding cake” is included. The venue emailed me back stating they don’t do the wedding cake and never have. I have attached a copy of the wording so everyone can read. I would just like to see what everyone thinks of this and maybe some suggestions on what to do. 

Thanks ladies! 
Kim

Answers

• Hello everyone! 

I booked a venue with an all inclusive package so I would have easier planning. So I recently emailed my venue with a list of questions. (It took them a week to answer my email.) From what my fiancé and I understood the wedding cake was included in the venue pricing. It clearly states in the dinner selections that “your wedding cake” is included. The venue emailed me back stating they don’t do the wedding cake and never have. I have attached a copy of the wording so everyone can read. I would just like to see what everyone thinks of this and maybe some suggestions on what to do. 

Thanks ladies! 
    Kim
    Look at your contract to see what is included. From what you posted, it seems obvious that they will serve “your wedding cake” but it doesn’t say that they will provide it or where it will come from.
  • "Dinner selection INCLUDES.......seasonal vegetables AND YOUR WEDDING CAKE. 

If they will not honor this, it seems as if you have two options.  Retain the venue and tell them to deduct a "per person cake slice price" from the "per plate" cost, or tell them that not honoring the verbage in this screen shot affords you the opportunity to cancel your booking at no penalty.

Cake costs per slice typically average $2 or higher in price estimates.

I would personally be hesitant to force their hand.  Depending on their reputation, I would be concerned as to where they purchase the cake if they honor the text from this screen shot.  I would prefer asking for the discount and getting my own cake versus relying on them to do it, especially if they don't typically do it, as the email states.
  • I'm taking the "and your wedding cake" to mean that they will cut, plate, and serve your wedding cake - that you provide - as part of the dinner cost. It's a matter of semantics, and you can totally push back on their policy as the wording is odd and a bit vague, but I think if they were going to include a wedding cake as part of the dinner package, they would have worded it "and A wedding cake."

But yeah, I would give them some push back to see if they can honor it as their wording is not clear. 
    This is how I read it too, but agree it’s pretty vague. 

Like PPs have said you should check your contract and see what it provides. If it doesn’t say anything other than the language you posted here I would try and push back a bit. 

In this same document does it have a section on desserts, if so what is listed there? I can see how you think wedding cake would be included but I also read  “your wedding cake” as the wedding cake that you bring in that they will serve after dinner. 
  • I'm taking the "and your wedding cake" to mean that they will cut, plate, and serve your wedding cake - that you provide - as part of the dinner cost. It's a matter of semantics, and you can totally push back on their policy as the wording is odd and a bit vague, but I think if they were going to include a wedding cake as part of the dinner package, they would have worded it "and A wedding cake."

But yeah, I would give them some push back to see if they can honor it as their wording is not clear. 
    Yeah, I read it this way too. Your wedding cake seems clear that they will serve the cake you provide. Feel free to push back, but I think it’s pretty fair for them not to include a wedding cake.

On a  side note- don’t feel you have to go super fancy for this- sheet cake can be easy and great for this.
  • Speaking as someone who did an all-inclusive that DID include wedding cake, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. The wording is not clear at all. Did you speak with a venue coordinator before booking? 
    Unfortunately this is a good lesson for lurkers to verify everything before signing. 

But like others say, you can push back on this, because they're the ones that are confusing.

• I could read that wording either way, TBH. Does you contract say anything one way or the other? Or do you have anything in writing from the venue coordinator confirming that the cake is included? Definitely clear that up directly with them, and soon. I wouldn't try to be tooooo forceful right now, because you still need to maintain a good relationship with the venue. Gently make it clear that the wording is misleading, ask if there is anything they can do to accommodate that (if they had previously told you cake was included), and see what they say. 

If it isn't included, it's not the end of the world! Many grocery stores offer cakes for very reasonable prices, and you could even do a few half sheet cakes in different flavors. 
  • My cake was included in our venue and it was worded “wedding cake from our preferred bakery, ___, is included.” or something like that.  This ^ wording is vague and I see both sides but if I had to go one way or the other, I’d say it reads like they’ll serve the cake you provide.  I do see the “wait...what?!” moment though.  
  • Agree that this is definitely vague wording. My venue included the cake for us, and it was was listed as a separate course option. I do think this reads as they will serve a wedding cake you provide. 
  • When I first read this I thought it included a cake - since the verb of the sentence is "INCLUDES" and the one of the objects of the sentence is "YOUR WEDDING CAKE". It should really say "Your wedding cake service" if that's what they mean.

However, upon rereading it with the additional context that they do NOT include a wedding cake I think that's what they meant, but I can definitely see your confusion.

My package includes a wedding cake but it's from a separate bakery so it was very clear.
  • I think it's vague wording and at minimum they need to work on this.

That said, this isn't that big a deal IMO and I think you can come up with options here.
    -Ask if there are local bakeries that they work with and that they recommend.
    -You can always cut a small cake and serve sheet cake.

• I can see why some PPs think it doesn't include the cake, but my first thought when reading it was that it does include the cake. They shouldn't even include it on the menu if they don't provide it. That should be listed elsewhere as a service they provide if they only cut, plate and serve it. 
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    I can see why some PPs think it doesn't include the cake, but my first thought when reading it was that it does include the cake. They shouldn't even include it on the menu if they don't provide it. That should be listed elsewhere as a service they provide if they only cut, plate and serve it. 
    I agree with this. It reads to me like they're providing the cake, unless there is some clear language to the contrary somewhere else. I typically saw that contracts would just say "selections from the X menu attached at $Y/pp" and not spell out the menu details. Then the menu would say 2 passed apps, 3 entree selections or whatever. If as PP say that the language suggests that they are only serving the cake, are you also suggesting that the language says that they're only serving the coffee provided by OP too? 

It's a legal principle that a vague contract should be construed against the party that wrote it, so the venue really should be responsible for their own vagueness here. That said, a cake is likely not a big enough cost that I'd go that route. Still, I would write a letter/email where I spell this out and insist that they provide the cake or take the cost of a reasonable cake off the total. This is their mistake, and they should be fixing it. 
  • As pp have said, I think that this implies they will serve your wedding cake that you provide, not make your cake. I would also be kind of sketched out by a venue making my cake personally and not someone who I know and/or have tried before. I do agree though that maybe ask if they recommend any local bakers who could give you a discount because of your chosen venue or affiliations. I know some caterers give slight discounts for my chosen venue because they have worked with them in the past.

Also, I am wondering if you discussed this contract with the venue before signing? This should have been a question asked before you signed the contract not after especially if this bugs you as much as it seems. 
  • As pp have said, I think that this implies they will serve your wedding cake that you provide, not make your cake. I would also be kind of sketched out by a venue making my cake personally and not someone who I know and/or have tried before. I do agree though that maybe ask if they recommend any local bakers who could give you a discount because of your chosen venue or affiliations. I know some caterers give slight discounts for my chosen venue because they have worked with them in the past.

Also, I am wondering if you discussed this contract with the venue before signing? This should have been a question asked before you signed the contract not after especially if this bugs you as much as it seems. 
    First bolded - why?  Do you ever eat at other new locations?  This seems like something odd to be "kind of sketched out" about if you're using a reputable vendor.  

To the second bolded, I can't blame the OP for not asking the venue to confirm that what they wrote is what they mean.   This is a contract they are signing - words matter.

I think @my@MyNameIsNot makes a good point that the onus of responsibility here calls on the vendor when the wording is so ambiguous.    Ditto that I'd ask for a discount if they are not including the cake in their cost.   Plenty of venues don't have on site bakers but they have bakeries that they work with.   
  • I can see why some PPs think it doesn't include the cake, but my first thought when reading it was that it does include the cake. They shouldn't even include it on the menu if they don't provide it. That should be listed elsewhere as a service they provide if they only cut, plate and serve it. 
    I agree with this. It reads to me like they're providing the cake, unless there is some clear language to the contrary somewhere else. I typically saw that contracts would just say "selections from the X menu attached at $Y/pp" and not spell out the menu details. Then the menu would say 2 passed apps, 3 entree selections or whatever. If as PP say that the language suggests that they are only serving the cake, are you also suggesting that the language says that they're only serving the coffee provided by OP too? 

It's a legal principle that a vague contract should be construed against the party that wrote it, so the venue really should be responsible for their own vagueness here. That said, a cake is likely not a big enough cost that I'd go that route. Still, I would write a letter/email where I spell this out and insist that they provide the cake or take the cost of a reasonable cake off the total. This is their mistake, and they should be fixing it. 

This was exactly my thought also.  Because I do think the contract is too ambiguous on that subject.

If it were me, I'd mention it and point that out to the vendor.  Attempt to get them to take something off the price, since there was obviously a misunderstanding based on THEIR vague terms in the contract.

But, at the end of the day, it isn't a hill I would die on or stress over.  As others have mentioned, a bakery or even a grocery store can make a small, pretty cake for cutting and pics.  And then have the same type of cake in sheet cakes that get served to the guests.  Relatively speaking, it's a fairly affordable option.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker

So..um..what? If your venue is cooking your food, why would you be sketched out by them making a cake?  I don't understand. 
    And does this person not go out to eat?  I don't get it.