Wedding Woes

It's Wednesday

I've been struggling with the days this week! It's only Wednesday, but I keep thinking it's Friday.

6let and I left the house at 5:15 last night and didn't get home from practices until after 9.  Only 3 more nights like that, but it sucks. 

Otherwise SSDD.  Getting stuff together for our tournament next week and thinking through thanksgiving.  DH still hasn't really said what he wants to do regarding going to his family.

Re: It's Wednesday

• Ugh this is the longest week ever. 

H goes through these cycles where he apparently thinks that he need only exist and everything else is just taken care of for him. And I do NOT have the patience for that right now. 

But I have pork for burritos in the crock pot so I'm happy that dinner will be somewhat done when I get home.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • SSC how do you do the pork for burritos? Is it the same as pulled pork (shoulder/butt) you just put it in a burrito? We need new ideas. 
  • kvruns said:
    SSC how do you do the pork for burritos? Is it the same as pulled pork (shoulder/butt) you just put it in a burrito? We need new ideas. 
    I use this recipe, but I've kind of evolved it. I don't think the sauce necessarily needs to cook and I think the full cinnamon stick is too much. I have a hard time finding the dried chiles it wants so I just use one spicy one and one milder one. H and I love it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/slow-cooker-pork-tacos-recipe-1972753

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @kimmiinthemitten. Dying of curiosity!
    Right!! I think he won if I guessed their district correctly (not to be a creepy stalker)... 
  • My district voted to re-elect a Congressman who is currently under indictment (and outnon bail!) for insider trading. So that’s how I’m doing today. 
  • edited November 2018
    mrsmitten said:
    Ladies...

My husband is now Mr. Representative Elect Mitten!!!!!
    Congrats to Mr. Mitten!!!! :D

(that face was supposed to be the big smiling face with the 
    D" mouth, not a laughey face).
  • mrsmitten said:
    My district voted to re-elect a Congressman who is currently under indictment (and outnon bail!) for insider trading. So that’s how I’m doing today. 
    Ugh..... I'm sorry.  Come back to the midwest.  Our area (I'm sure you guessed correctly LOL) was the home of the blue wave!  We flipped the County Commission, Two House Seats, a State Senate Seat and the Congressional seat, plus the Senator stayed put, Secretary of State, Attorney General and Governor!  

Best of all, Mr. Mitten is the only guy in all those races!
    So excited for you guys!!!! I thought I was right (also his endorsements were super impressive!). Way to go!! 

How was it watching returns? Michigan had a great night!!
  • My district voted to re-elect a Congressman who is currently under indictment (and outnon bail!) for insider trading. So that’s how I’m doing today. 
    I still don't understand how our district voted to re-elect him. I'm glad that McMurray is pushing for a recount. It's so close.
    I still don't understand how our district voted to re-elect him. I'm glad that McMurray is pushing for a recount. It's so close.
    I’m hoping the remaining absentee and the recount change the result. He conceded last night without all of Erie county in (which is the most democratic of the district). But I’m not optimistic. This is the most conservative and reliably Trump district in the state. 
  • My state voted to elect Ned Lamont who I fear will do more of the same damage the current governor did.

I don't vote straight ticket and I have been no fan of the current governor, the retroactive tax increases or the business losses that our state has faced.  

That said, I am happy that my senator and congressman were reelected to continue to push against the horrible agenda that's being thrust against the House and Senate by the Trump administration and I'm excited that there's at least a slight shift in the House. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    Too bad Beto O'Rourke lost for the Senate, but he came sooooooo close to beating Ted Cruz. A friend of mine made a bet with her BF that one of them would treat the other, depending on who won that contest. Sadly, she bet on O'Rourke.

But luckily, Lizzie Fletcher beat John Culberson.

@mrsmitten, congratulations!
  • I'm happy with the outcome in my IL district, but I still cannot believe that northwest Iowa chose to re-elect Steve King who is a racist piece of trash.  

congrats @mrsmitten!!

• Our ballet had 2 stupid questions:
    Would you like us to raise property taxes 1%?
    Would you like us to charge a "per mile" tax on all vehicles?

Yes, let me pay the state of IL even more money.  I don't give them nearly enough - said no one ever.

Well, actually 76,718 people said yes to the vehicle motor tax, but a bunch of us on nextdoor think the question was worded poorly and intended to trick people. I can't find the results for the property tax question...still searching.

• @kimmiinthemitten. Dying of curiosity!
    Right!! I think he won if I guessed their district correctly (not to be a creepy stalker)... 
    I was also a creepy stalker but was waiting for her to confirm! Yea Mr. Mitten!

Yes, let me pay the state of IL even more money.  I don't give them nearly enough - said no one ever.

Well, actually 76,718 people said yes to the vehicle motor tax, but a bunch of us on nextdoor think the question was worded poorly and intended to trick people. I can't find the results for the property tax question...still searching.
    Ugh EXACTLY!!

Mine was worded something like, "Should we oppose the tax increase" and was very wordy. I had to nearly read it out loud to understand. 

How TF do they think we want to raise our property taxes even effing more? Don't we already have the highest in the country? I already pay $7,200 on my $210,000 house. GTFOOOOOOOOOOO. 

Ugh EXACTLY!!

Mine was worded something like, "Should we oppose the tax increase" and was very wordy. I had to nearly read it out loud to understand. 

How TF do they think we want to raise our property taxes even effing more? Don't we already have the highest in the country? I already pay $7,200 on my $210,000 house. GTFOOOOOOOOOOO. 
    and then I was thinking, even if we all voted no anyway (which we did) are we even sure that will stop a hike? probably not.

• Congrats @kimmiinthemitten & Mr. Representative Mitten!

Our stupid governor won re-election, but that's not a surprise since his opponent was unfortunately not strong enough to challenge him. 

They are testing the new fire alarm system all morning since the next floor in our renovation is about to be turned over. I picked a bad day to have a migraine. 

Oh, and I just noticed my pants have a rip in them. 

At least we got Warren over Diehl though. 
  • Congrats to The Mittens!! 
  • Congrats to the Mittens!!!

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the election. I had a feeling we wouldn’t take back the House and Senate. I’m sad about Beto, but not surprised. In my neck of the woods it looks like Dana Rochbacher might be out by the slimmest of margins, which is super exciting. However Duncan and Nunes got re-elected and I just think, “how?!” Also it looks like my incumbent sheriff will be voted out in favor of a guy whose platform is literally, “we shouldn’t be a sanctuary state and we need to bring back RESPECT to cops because we are the ultimate authority.” He was backed by the union and cites “low moral” as a reason for running. The “low moral” everyone keeps citing is because the current sheriff has made them wear body cams and get drug and alcohol testing after shooting a suspect. You know, totally outrageous. So now we’re going to have a racist POS in charge of one of the biggest counties in the US. Ugh. 

I’m still trying to finish a paper that’s due at noon. I finally crashed and went to bed at three because I’m no longer a spring chicken who can pull all nighters. This paper is causing me so much stress. The teacher is the worst and I can’t wait until I’m done with her. 

• Congratulations Mr. Representative -Elect Mitten and @mrsmitten! I think I need to go be a stalker! Not happy about the IN senate race. Ugh but what can I say. 

I went in for jury duty this morning and am home now because there were only two trials. One was postponed because the defendant requested a competency hearing. So now I'm done for at least two years!

I think I need a nap though since I didn't sleep worth a darn last night - I never do when I have something out of the norm to do the next day. So a nap and cuddling with the pups is definitely in my future this afternoon.
  • @mrsmitten, Yeeeeaaaahhhh for Mr. Representative Elect Mitten!!!  I'm excited for you all.  I also saw the news that Michigan was kicking a** and taking names for Democrats and more women in politics.

@CharmedPam, we also had a "duh" proposition about how future property tax large raises will be handled.  But it was at least clearly stated/explained.  I'm assuming it passed, but haven't found confirmation.

@charlotte989875, we had an election like that for a House of Rep. incumbent a few years back.  As in, his trial for over a dozen counts of bribery was already scheduled while the election was going on.  He'd already been removed from all the Congressional committees he was on.  He did lose.  But barely.  I couldn't even believe how close it was, smh.  Like, "Hey other voters, can we just all agree to not vote for someone about to go to prison?  Because that would be awesome."  And, yes, he was found guilty of most of those charges.  And, yes, he did indeed go to prison.

Yay for flipping the House!

I voted when I got off work yesterday.  Hearing your all's and some of the national news about how long the lines were, I was a bit worried.  But it was NBD.  I was in and out.  To be fair, there wasn't much going on in my election.  One state seat, but the biggie governor's race is next year.  One Congressional seat, but there wasn't much question it was going to the current incumbent who is a Democrat anyway.  Holy crap!  I just looked it up.  He got 80.59% of the vote.  I can see why there was "not much question", lol.

Here's my curiosity question for those more politically savvy and aware then I am.  The other House of Rep. incumbent for Louisiana also won (Steve Scalise - R).  He was one of the victims of that terrible shooting last year.  He has also been the Majority Whip.  So, now that Republicans are no longer the majority party in the House, does that mean a new Majority Whip will be chosen from the Democratic Party?  Is that how that works?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsmitten, Yeeeeaaaahhhh for Mr. Representative Elect Mitten!!!  I'm excited for you all.  I also saw the news that Michigan was kicking a** and taking names for Democrats and more women in politics.

@CharmedPam, we also had a "duh" proposition about how future property tax large raises will be handled.  But it was at least clearly stated/explained.  I'm assuming it passed, but haven't found confirmation.

@charlotte989875, we had an election like that for a House of Rep. incumbent a few years back.  As in, his trial for over a dozen counts of bribery was already scheduled while the election was going on.  He'd already been removed from all the Congressional committees he was on.  He did lose.  But barely.  I couldn't even believe how close it was, smh.  Like, "Hey other voters, can we just all agree to not vote for someone about to go to prison?  Because that would be awesome."  And, yes, he was found guilty of most of those charges.  And, yes, he did indeed go to prison.

Yay for flipping the House!

I voted when I got off work yesterday.  Hearing your all's and some of the national news about how long the lines were, I was a bit worried.  But it was NBD.  I was in and out.  To be fair, there wasn't much going on in my election.  One state seat, but the biggie governor's race is next year.  One Congressional seat, but there wasn't much question it was going to the current incumbent who is a Democrat anyway.  Holy crap!  I just looked it up.  He got 80.59% of the vote.  I can see why there was "not much question", lol.

Here's my curiosity question for those more politically savvy and aware then I am.  The other House of Rep. incumbent for Louisiana also won (Steve Scalise - R).  He was one of the victims of that terrible shooting last year.  He has also been the Majority Whip.  So, now that Republicans are no longer the majority party in the House, does that mean a new Majority Whip will be chosen from the Democratic Party?  Is that how that works?

Yup, the Democrats will pick a new Speaker of the House, Majority Whip, and other house leadership positions. 
  • I had a horrible day yesterday, but I'm embracing positivity today. Jesus, got this!!!

@CharmedPam do you have a site for your area board of elections? I was able to find every single result for Chicago on the BoE site. 
    We voted to ban straws, so, there's that. (Non-binding of course.)

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2018
    The state of MO is just stupid.  We voted in almost all progressive policies (medical marijuana, minimum wage increases, no to police funding masquerading as highway funding, gerrymandering controls!), and then voted in more red legislators.  My state local stayed and I don't think anyone flipped, but we lost Claire.  And TBH, I think it was probably a bunch of progressives bitching about how she wasn't liberal enough for them, so they either went independent or skipped it.  I'm sure Josh Hawley will represent them super well.  :/  Oh well.  There were lots of small victories for women, PoC, LGBTQ, and other marginalized populations, so I will take it and help build on it.

Other than that, SSDD.  
  • Nevada elected a dead brothel owner. It sounds like the title of an Onion article. 

• levioosa said:
    Nevada elected a dead brothel owner. It sounds like the title of an Onion article. 
    can you link to a news article? I'm intrigued!