Wedding Woes

Prudie Day!

Finally! We're almost to Friday!

I’m really glad we called the realtor early. The things we thought we should do weren’t as big of a deal to her and the things we didn’t think were a big deal, are. So we’ve got homework. And our target list date is 3/1. I’m hoping for sooner, especially since my H might take a week off and just crank through everything. She also think we should get more for the house than I expected. Fingers crossed!!

I’m gunna whine for a minute about people that apparently know all the things. I’m getting this tattoo removed and I’m 3 sessions in, out of an estimated 11. If it comes up in conversation, almost every person seems to think that I’m getting ripped off and that it’s taking too long. I’ve started being a dick. Yesterday a coworker said something about how it shouldn’t take this long and I replied with, “Oh! If I would have known you had experience or knowledge with this I would have asked you before I started! Do you think the Q-switched laser is better than the picosecond?” Blank stare. Oh, you mean you actually have no idea WTF you’re talking about? Kindly eff off, then.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Prudie Day!

• I'm so glad this week is almost over. Although this impending storm is stressing me out. They're saying 8-12 for Saturday now. 
  • Good for you SSC arhat shit is annoying and unnecessary. 

Went out to an amazing Pho place last night with work colleagues & it was so good! So glad I have leftovers for lunch. 

But best news is that all the contractors are done!! We’ve had a ton of work done over the last few weeks but it’s finally done! Now to get on to all the work we need to do!
  • I'm ignoring all weather forecasts.  Last I heard the place we're traveling is supposed to get 10".  I packed a bag of games, movies, food, and wine in case we get snowed into the hotel.

Otherwise SSDD

• I'm so glad this week is almost over. Although this impending storm is stressing me out. They're saying 8-12 for Saturday now. 
    I’ve seen out forecasts range from 11-17” but also possibly nothing. I’ll make sure we do grocery shopping but not actually worrying. 
    I’ve seen out forecasts range from 11-17” but also possibly nothing. I’ll make sure we do grocery shopping but not actually worrying. 
    Normally I wouldn't care, but my MIL is flying in Saturday, and I've somehow got to get my mother into the city to meet up with my MIL. And that has to be done either Saturday or Sunday. For some insane reason, they both have doctor appointments scheduled in the city. Don't even get me started on that. 
  • Everyone around us is sick. Max’s best buddy at school and best buddy in the neighborhood. 2 of 6lets teammates and his best buddy at school. The entire house next door that we are constantly on and out of and carpool with!! 
  • @mrsconn23. Good luck today. 
  • @ShesSoCold I hate when people who aren't in the industry question the price.

I am pissed off at a customer who pulled that yesterday.   "I'm not understanding why each item is at a cost of this amount.   Isn't it just you doing X, Y, and Z and shipping them?" 

I bounced that to the sales manager on the account because I want to say, 
    -You received the quote on this and approved this 6 months ago.
    -This is billing for an intensive process and includes labor, materials and time.
    -We can certainly send you the same thing in bulk and your team can do this themselves.   Then you can tell me if our service to you is worth it. 

The same account has been micromanaging efforts so I need to take a deep breath when dealing with them.  I don't take kindly to being told that we need to hold off on doing things and then ask me why we didn't do them.  The end result of you asking for a lack of product and effort is that it doesn't exist.   You then get in line behind everyone else. 
  • @ShesSoCold, that's great the meeting with the realtor was so productive!  And yay more money.

I read a funny story where a person's elderly mother was downsizing and they wanted to get the house ready for sale.  It was in a prime, lake area.  But the mom had lived in the house for decades and it desperately needed updating.  They spent a big chunk of money, plus spending their whole weekends there for a few months DIYing what they could, to get top dollar.  The good news was they were happy with the final sales price.  But then had a "doh!" moment when the new buyer completely tore the house down and rebuilt. 

My H and I are going out to dinner when I get off work.  It's actually pretty close to where I work, so H is taking the bus to meet me.  It's a Southwest/Mexican kind of place, famous for its fajitas.  On the pricier side, but they do have good food and it's a mystery shop for me.  So I'll end up with a reimbursement for most of the check.  After that, we're stopping at Home Depot on the way home.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Went out to an amazing Pho place last night with work colleagues & it was so good! So glad I have leftovers for lunch. 

But best news is that all the contractors are done!! We’ve had a ton of work done over the last few weeks but it’s finally done! Now to get on to all the work we need to do!

Did you all ever figure out the leak coming from the jacuzzi tub?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ShesSoCold, that's great the meeting with the realtor was so productive!  And yay more money.

I read a funny story where a person's elderly mother was downsizing and they wanted to get the house ready for sale.  It was in a prime, lake area.  But the mom had lived in the house for decades and it desperately needed updating.  They spent a big chunk of money, plus spending their whole weekends there for a few months DIYing what they could, to get top dollar.  The good news was they were happy with the final sales price.  But then had a "doh!" moment when the new buyer completely tore the house down and rebuilt. 

My H and I are going out to dinner when I get off work.  It's actually pretty close to where I work, so H is taking the bus to meet me.  It's a Southwest/Mexican kind of place, famous for its fajitas.  On the pricier side, but they do have good food and it's a mystery shop for me.  So I'll end up with a reimbursement for most of the check.  After that, we're stopping at Home Depot on the way home.

LOL that was (somewhat) my concern! Our house was built in the early 90s so not super old but there's a lot of dated brass and stuff like that and the hard floors are original. Our master bath is also weird in that we have 2 showers. One stand up stall and one shower/tub combo (no jets or anything, just a regular old shower/tub insert and it's pretty narrow so it would be hard to sell as a "soaking tub" or whatever). The floor in there is this hideous vinyl and the edges are starting to roll. We didn't want to replace the floor with nice tile if the next owner was going to gut the whole thing. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Sadly not yet. We cut access holes in the closet and bedroom last weekend and the water isn’t coming from any of the it’s or drains, and we can see around it now. It looks like it’s coming from underneath the tub (that we can’t actually see) so we’re not sure where to go from here. 
  • @shessocold I'm glad the realtor meeting went well!

Hope everyone starts to feel better and work starts to suck less for you all - sorry it's been frustrating!

I have an event in the city tonight for a professional group I belong to.  We're doing an escape room and then apps/drinks.  It will be fun, but I'm not really looking forward to leaving work at 3pm to get there on time (limited train schedule).  I have a few things I need to finish before then and a couple meetings today as well. 

We didn't get new hardware put on the kitchen cabinets last weekend so we need to finish that this weekend.  We'll probably have a date night at the hardware store tomorrow!

Sadly not yet. We cut access holes in the closet and bedroom last weekend and the water isn’t coming from any of the it’s or drains, and we can see around it now. It looks like it’s coming from underneath the tub (that we can’t actually see) so we’re not sure where to go from here.

While it is fresh in my mind, I gave a quick call to my H.  If you all haven't already, it's time to call a plumber.  Preferably one with jacuzzi tub experience and he suggests calling places that sell/install jacuzzi tubs and getting a plumber recommendation from them.  He warned it is not going to be cheap :(.

There are a lot of mechanics in a jacuzzi tub, including the jets, and most leaks are automatically going to trickle down and come out from underneath the tub.  Hopefully the sub-floor is still in good condition.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

While it is fresh in my mind, I gave a quick call to my H.  If you all haven't already, it's time to call a plumber.  Preferably one with jacuzzi tub experience and he suggests calling places that sell/install jacuzzi tubs and getting a plumber recommendation from them.  He warned it is not going to be cheap :(.

There are a lot of mechanics in a jacuzzi tub, including the jets, and most leaks are automatically going to trickle down and come out from underneath the tub.  Hopefully the sub-floor is still in good condition.

Thank you!! That’s so thoughtful of you to call him, I really appreciate it! 

From this it sounds like it could actually be the jets even though we can’t see the leak coming from them (and we can see all of them). 

The relatively good news is that we can see the subfloor because the tub is directly over our basement stairs so there is no drywall and we can see the floor directly. 
  •  We have a Jacuzzi brand tub with jets and stuff in our guest bathroom (also the one with the ugly glass shower doors I want to remove).  It's slightly deeper than a regular tub, but that's the only difference - it's not oversized or spa like in any way. I don't like it. 

It wouldn't affect our overall home value or anything if we ripped it out, but is this like, a feature that people still look for?  Are Jacuzzi tubs as a big a deal nowadays as they used to be? Just curious what you all think.

• Casadena said:

We have a Jacuzzi brand tub with jets and stuff in our guest bathroom (also the one with the ugly glass shower doors I want to remove).  It's slightly deeper than a regular tub, but that's the only difference - it's not oversized or spa like in any way. I don't like it. 

It wouldn't affect our overall home value or anything if we ripped it out, but is this like, a feature that people still look for?  Are Jacuzzi tubs as a big a deal nowadays as they used to be? Just curious what you all think.

I love taking baths, especially when I’m in race training, and ours is one of the big oversized tubs/spas and it was a selling point for me. Ours is clearly old and probably needs to be replaced but I wanted a bathroom with the room for a large soaking tub/spa separate from the shower. I didn’t care if it was a jacuzzi or not but I did want something with the space for a large, deep tub. 
  • Casadena said:

We have a Jacuzzi brand tub with jets and stuff in our guest bathroom (also the one with the ugly glass shower doors I want to remove).  It's slightly deeper than a regular tub, but that's the only difference - it's not oversized or spa like in any way. I don't like it. 

I think that's one of those things that people think they like but don't actually. Like, if you were to sell, a buyer would go, "Oh! A jetted tub! Yay! I can use this on cold snowy days!" and then if she actually bought it, would spend more time dusting it than using it. 
  • Casadena said:

I think that's one of those things that people think they like but don't actually. Like, if you were to sell, a buyer would go, "Oh! A jetted tub! Yay! I can use this on cold snowy days!" and then if she actually bought it, would spend more time dusting it than using it. 
    Haha true for so many people. Before the leak though I was using mine a few times a week! 

But I’m probably an outlier. 
  • Ugh this pending snow storm!!! :s i think we’re supposed to get up to 10”.  

Work gripe: why does my coworker only come into the kitchen to make her coffee when she sees me get up and walk to it first?  She’s chatty patty but also just likes to complain.  Its annoying.  I avoid her. But she always comes in to dump her coffee out and make a fresh cup when i do!  We BOTH use the kureg.  Can’t it wait? I’ve gotten to the point where I wait for her to make a cup first.  There’s no reason why she should follow me in after just making a cup.  And don’t get me started on the 4+ kureg cups she wastes per day when she only drinks maybe 2 cups but dumps half of them because they get cold.  

SSC - love that you caught her in her tracks when she thought she knew what she was saying.  You did your research!  You know what you’re doing
    S+S, I need to go back to those links you sent me on mystery shops.  I need to get paid to eat out!

• That was a good comeback @ShesSoCold..everyone always has an opinion and @short+sassy that restaurant sounds amazing, enjoy!

I’m in stress mode- my mother had blood in her urine last week. A sono found a polyp on her bladder. Yesterday at a consultation a urologist told her it’s three polyps and there’s an 85% chance (such a precise number) that they’re cancerous.  She had a few things she didn’t like about the urologist so she is having another consultation at the hospital she volunteers at (happens to be one of the best oncology hospitals in the country) next Thursday. She keeps saying “I don’t want anyone to be stressed or upset! It’ll be fine!” I responded with this upbeat “of course it will!” but I’m dying on my side of the phone like sitting on the floor to cry when we hang up. I don’t want to come off as aloof and but also don’t want to add stress. My siblings and I just started planning her surprise 60th birthday (in July) like two days before she mentioned the blood in urine. So I’m feeling a little “how did we get here?” Whew.  Sorry to unload. Just in a weird place.
  • Oh @eileenrob that sucks! All the good vibes for your mom! 
  • Oh, no, Eileen. T&V to your mom and hugs to you. I've been in your shoes and the not knowing and mind racing is awful. I hope she gets good news and soon. 
  • So sorry @eileenrob!  I'm glad she's getting a second opinion since she didn't like the first Urologist.  I know it's scary.  Having worked in Urology, I can tell you there is a wide range of bladder tumors from superficial to those deep in the tissue.  Most can be well-managed/treated.  Take it one step at a time. 

• Casadena said:

Overall, I don't think it is a feature most people look for.  But see it as a minor perk, when one exists.

My H and I would love one, but I know my H would be reticent about it.  They just have a lot more things that can go wrong with them.  At the moment, it's a moot point.  We couldn't get one into our house anyway.  I joked to him that maybe we could take our roof off and lower it in with a crane.

When we first moved in together (years ago), our rental had a jacuzzi tub.  Similar to the one you are describing, same size as a tub except a bit deeper and with jets.  That tub definitely wasn't the only reason we chose that place to rent, but it was a factor.  We both used it a lot.

If I were looking for a new house, they would be high on my "want" list.  But not on my "need" list. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @eileenrob, I'm so sorry!  That is such worrying news.  Ts and Ps to your mom and hopes that it will be as minor as possible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPam said:
    S+S, I need to go back to those links you sent me on mystery shops.  I need to get paid to eat out!

www.volition.com

They aren't a mystery shopping (ms) company themselves, but there is a free list on their website of most of the MS companies in existence.  But you still have to sign up for each MS company separately and there largely isn't anyway to know if they even have shops in your area.  That website also has a big forum.

Gigspot, Kern Scheduling, and Presto Instashops can help with that last part.  They are outsourcing companies that some of the MS companies use for their scheduling.  When you sign up with those companies, you'll see what shops are in your area for multiple ms companies. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your well wishes.  Thank you @MNNEBride that’s good to know.  The pessimist in me is thinking about my grandfather (her father) who died of bladder cancer, so the optimist in me likes hearing that.