Wedding Woes
Options

FRIDAY

2»

Re: FRIDAY

• Options
    Thanks @charlotte989875 - have never heard of this
  • Options
    @banana468, I am so sorry for what your family is going through. My SIL also had a baby with a chromosomal disorder (trisomy 18) that is not survivable. She found out in the 5th month and chose to carry to term (they are devout and were hoping for a miracle.) I hope your SIL gets one. 
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    I'm in the path. We're supposed to get anywhere from 11 to 17 inches, possibly up to 20. I already have my Walmart grocery pickup order scheduled for tomorrow at 11 am so I don't have to go anywhere near the craziness that is already happening at Wegmans. This weekend will be full of hunkering down with the dogs, watching football, movies and naps. I'm also debating using one one of my two floating holidays to take Monday off, since H has it off (works for a bank).
    Pretty much the same forecast here in Buffalo. What bank does your H work for? I also work for a bank and have Monday off. 

Not much here. H has a diaper party Saturday night and I’m thinking I’m going to stay in and relax with the pets. I have to try and squeeze my 10 mile run in before the snow gets bad. 
    What is a diaper party?
    Maybe this is a regional thing but friends of a father-to-be host a party where all the guys bring boxes/packages of diapers for the impending baby. They all do tons of food & drinks and celebrate before the baby comes. 
    I think this is the most adorable thing.  How sweet! 
  • Options
    Wow @6fsn hats off! That’s not an easy conversation (I imagine) but it sounds like you rocked it. Lucky kid!
    Id never heard of a diaper party either but I like the idea @charlotte989875
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    @banana468 I will continue to lift you all in prayers.  
    Many hospitals now have very specific and quiet compassionate care for families bearing this hardship.  I have two friends that have experienced this devastating loss.  The hospitals were incredible helping the families through this.
    In both situations, the families were in private rooms far from the "typical" maternity rooms.  Neither family was rushed.  My friend J knew her son would pass within hours of his birth.  They were allowed to remain in the hospital for 3 days.  Family came to see the baby.  The family chose to have a photographer, who specializes in such delicate situations, and they created an incredible and poignant album.  It was present at his funeral.  It is both heartbreaking and comforting to know that such services exist.  I hope they are fortunate to be in a facility that can provide these services, and that someone will reach out to them.

@CharmedPam and @ShesSoCold, the storm should be fairly tame.  Tonight and into the morning they expect 3-6 inches, with the northern Lake County suburbs to get the higher end.  The farther south, the less you get.  I fully expect to have no problem getting around tomorrow afternoon.  If you live near the lake, an expected 2-4 lake effect inches are expected to fall on Sunday.  NBD for us, right?  The bigger headache is we are back to some "real" winter temps for the next few days....@20 for highs; nothing insane or below zero.  More than survivable.

ETA:  Fairly funny, at least from my POV.....The first paragraph is a true depiction of the impending weather......

ILLINOIS RESIDENTS:
    SEVERE WEATHER ALERT: 🌨️🌨️❄️❄️
    Residents are being advised to prepare for accumulating snow starting Friday night into Saturday. Snowfall is expected to reach 3-8 inches and should taper off by late Saturday. This snowstorm brings the threat of inconvenience for up to twelve hours.
    Residents should prepare by stocking up on essential staples to last as long as 0.5 days. It may be difficult to order a pizza due to demand and road conditions, and residents should prepare for at least two meals at home, and to hear complaints from neighbors about city plows pushing snow they just plowed into the street back into their driveway. This storm also presents the threat of cabin fever and dealing with family members getting under your skin. Older males may feel compelled to walk over to the window every half hour and mention the blizzard of ‘78. For seniors, the blizzard of '67.
    Residents should also consider rushing to the hardware store for a new snow shovel.  You know you had two,  but who has time to move everything in the garage?   It's only 35 degrees!   While doing that,  fill your gas tank because you know any crisis even unrelated to supply is a chance for stations to increase prices and profit.
    Pets will not want to use the bathroom outdoors, so better get an extra roll of paper towels while out. Children will be excited to bundle up and play in the snow for about five minutes, and their wet clothes and shoes will stain your hardwood floors. Err on the safe side, and  pick up floor wipes, also. Those who live in subdivisions will have the opportunity on Sunday morning to compare the timeliness of plowing and argue about which streets should be cleaned first.
    Last, but most important,  nobody else but you will know how to drive in this stuff. Ending on a positive note, the inclement weather will provide an excuse to cancel plans you really wish you did not want to commit to anyway.

• Options
    MobKaz said:
    @banana468 I will continue to lift you all in prayers.  
    Many hospitals now have very specific and quiet compassionate care for families bearing this hardship.  I have two friends that have experienced this devastating loss.  The hospitals were incredible helping the families through this.
    In both situations, the families were in private rooms far from the "typical" maternity rooms.  Neither family was rushed.  My friend J knew her son would pass within hours of his birth.  They were allowed to remain in the hospital for 3 days.  Family came to see the baby.  The family chose to have a photographer, who specializes in such delicate situations, and they created an incredible and poignant album.  It was present at his funeral.  It is both heartbreaking and comforting to know that such services exist.  I hope they are fortunate to be in a facility that can provide these services, and that someone will reach out to them.

@CharmedPam and @ShesSoCold, the storm should be fairly tame.  Tonight and into the morning they expect 3-6 inches, with the northern Lake County suburbs to get the higher end.  The farther south, the less you get.  I fully expect to have no problem getting around tomorrow afternoon.  If you live near the lake, an expected 2-4 lake effect inches are expected to fall on Sunday.  NBD for us, right?  The bigger headache is we are back to some "real" winter temps for the next few days....@20 for highs; nothing insane or below zero.  More than survivable.

ETA:  Fairly funny, at least from my POV.....The first paragraph is a true depiction of the impending weather......

ILLINOIS RESIDENTS:
    SEVERE WEATHER ALERT: 🌨️🌨️❄️❄️
    Residents are being advised to prepare for accumulating snow starting Friday night into Saturday. Snowfall is expected to reach 3-8 inches and should taper off by late Saturday. This snowstorm brings the threat of inconvenience for up to twelve hours.
    Residents should prepare by stocking up on essential staples to last as long as 0.5 days. It may be difficult to order a pizza due to demand and road conditions, and residents should prepare for at least two meals at home, and to hear complaints from neighbors about city plows pushing snow they just plowed into the street back into their driveway. This storm also presents the threat of cabin fever and dealing with family members getting under your skin. Older males may feel compelled to walk over to the window every half hour and mention the blizzard of ‘78. For seniors, the blizzard of '67.
    Residents should also consider rushing to the hardware store for a new snow shovel.  You know you had two,  but who has time to move everything in the garage?   It's only 35 degrees!   While doing that,  fill your gas tank because you know any crisis even unrelated to supply is a chance for stations to increase prices and profit.
    Pets will not want to use the bathroom outdoors, so better get an extra roll of paper towels while out. Children will be excited to bundle up and play in the snow for about five minutes, and their wet clothes and shoes will stain your hardwood floors. Err on the safe side, and  pick up floor wipes, also. Those who live in subdivisions will have the opportunity on Sunday morning to compare the timeliness of plowing and argue about which streets should be cleaned first.
    Last, but most important,  nobody else but you will know how to drive in this stuff. Ending on a positive note, the inclement weather will provide an excuse to cancel plans you really wish you did not want to commit to anyway.

LMFAO! Like, for real! Love it

But  :'( to the first paragraph 

• Options
    So far the storm is a non event in Indy but they say the snow will arrive this afternoon. We shall see. That severe weather alert is hysterical @MobKaz! As for the services provided by your friends' hospital, it would be so wonderful if they all provided those kind of services.
  • Options
    So far the storm is a non event in Indy but they say the snow will arrive this afternoon. We shall see. That severe weather alert is hysterical @MobKaz! As for the services provided by your friends' hospital, it would be so wonderful if they all provided those kind of services.
    I do believe more hospitals are providing these services.  However, it is not something most will have a need to seek out.  In such a sorrowful time, the families may not necessarily comprehend, accept, or be able to "hear" information regarding such services.  I liken it to organ donation; a family may want to do something, but the timing of being asked, and of making such decisions, is very precarious.
    I mention it with the hopes that @banana468 (or others on the board) are aware that someone may be able to explore these options on behalf of their loved ones. In any time of crisis, I think we all desire to help in any way we can.  We want to relieve burdens, lessen sorrow, and feel helpful. 

We got a bit more snow than expected; we awoke to a good 8 inches.  It's light and fluffy this time, so the driveway is already "down to pavement".  The neighborhood has yet to be plowed.  I'm guessing the winds are drifting the main roads just good enough to make the plows work harder there.  No worries though, as we ordered the pizza last night to ensure left overs for tonight's "hunkering" LOL
  • Options
    My church just called off services for tomorrow, which they NEVER do because this is Maine and they think people can fell timber with their teeth. But I am not originally from here, and don't love driving in this crap, so I'm glad. I hope everyone in the path of this storm stays safe.
  • Options
    We ended up only getting about 3 inches. Now it is just cold but not as cold as they had originally predicted. Now we shall see if the wind picks up like they say it will. I'm not complaining mind you, I'm a southerner living in the north so I hate this stuff.
  • Options
    Our county is apparently a sheet of ice and has a level 3 snow emergency. The Columbus zoo is even shut down. We’re 2 hrs northeast.  Last night restaurants were closing early so we had an adventure finding food. 
  • Options
    View from our balcony.

• Options
    All we got was rain  :|
  • Options
    This was behind our hotel. 
  • Options
    We have 1/4" of snow and then rain.   All the rain.  But now based on the temp we have ice anywhere it rained.    

And there are witches body parts warmer than this outside air.