Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Rehearsal

For our rehearsal dinner we are looking at a place that is BYOB. We are having approximately 30 people for the rehearsal dinner. I don't think it is right to expect the bridal party and their dates to supply their own alcohol so we would supply it ourselves. How much alcohol do you think would be necessary for approximately 30 people? I do not drink so I have no clue. 

Re: Rehearsal

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2019
    Ask yourself if you're ready to take on the liability risk of BYOB event?  You will want to get a social host type policy through your homeowner's insurance which is usually pretty cheap, but it's a CYA more than anything.  The issue you're going to run into has more to do with city/township codes in regard to alcohol at the venues.  City parks and hotels where you are merely renting one of their event rooms that do not offer this option in-house will be your best chances. 

To answer your question in regard to what to get for that many people.  First - you need to think about what their drink preferences are and what you plan to do with this stuff after because as you said, you don't drink, it would suck to purchase 6 bottles of wine when they're craft beer drinkers or the opposite.  I'd most likely opt for wine and beer, you aren't likely to want a ton of mixers/shots because presuming this is the night before your wedding, you don't want everyone hung over from overdoing it.  OTOH, if your guests aren't heavy drinkers, you don't want to overdo it either.  In your case, it really may be better to have an event somewhere that you can host without having to deal with a minimum.  
  • Options
    When you say it's BYOB, do you mean you're having it at a restaurant without a liquor license, but where guests can bring their own? Or do you mean a place like a public park or historic site? These would have very different licensing requirements. For example, if it's the latter, you will need a permit from the town and may be required to hire a bartender. You will also need to purchase an event insurance policy (these are usually good for one year and are renewable.)

If it's just a restaurant in a dry town, (or one without a liquor license), they will likely have a policy that covers you as long as their staff does the serving, but you should check before assuming this.

Regarding the amount of alcohol, you would need to know how many of your guests will actually drink. If you're not sure, buy beer (light and dark varieties) and wine (white and red) from a liquor store that lets you return unopened bottles. That way, if you guess wrong, you won't be stuck with stuff you don't want. I once had to return 6 bottles of very expensive champagne because the guests at our event went for mead and beer, but weren't so into the champagne, which surprised me.
  • Options
    maine7mob said:
    When you say it's BYOB, do you mean you're having it at a restaurant without a liquor license, but where guests can bring their own? Or do you mean a place like a public park or historic site? These would have very different licensing requirements. For example, if it's the latter, you will need a permit from the town and may be required to hire a bartender. You will also need to purchase an event insurance policy (these are usually good for one year and are renewable.)

If it's just a restaurant in a dry town, (or one without a liquor license), they will likely have a policy that covers you as long as their staff does the serving, but you should check before assuming this.

Regarding the amount of alcohol, you would need to know how many of your guests will actually drink. If you're not sure, buy beer (light and dark varieties) and wine (white and red) from a liquor store that lets you return unopened bottles. That way, if you guess wrong, you won't be stuck with stuff you don't want. I once had to return 6 bottles of very expensive champagne because the guests at our event went for mead and beer, but weren't so into the champagne, which surprised me.
    It would be at a restaurant that used to have a liquor license, but no longer does. They do have bartenders that would serve and make the drinkers if we wanted mixed drinks. I know we have about 30 people and 24 of drink. I know some of the 24 will only have one glass of wine if any so that's why I am having a hard time deciding. Also, my fiance and I agreed we don't want people getting hammered because they would have to drive back to the venue and we don't want them hungover at the wedding so we were thinking of only buying enough alcohol for people to have 1-2 drinks then if they choose to have more they can get some at the hotel we are staying at.