Wedding Woes

Dreadful Wednesday

The Bad:  I'm not supposed to know, but the boss is talking to me today.  I'm pretty sure I'm being laid off.  I'm WFH before an off-site meeting I have at noon and am instead updating my resume. (Question about resume to follow).

While MIL is doing really well post-surgery; H needs to stay with her the first two nights, which means in addition to a potentially crappy day at work, I'll be home alone when I really need him too.

The Good:  According to the scale, I'm down 5.5-7 lbs in my first week in Keto- (I weighed two different amounts the first day LOL).  I finally went to my kickboxing class again and I survived.  This class is not your traditional kickboxing class - it kicks your ass and it's hype as hell!  I'm not feeling too bad today, but anticipate needing to be rolled out of bed tomorrow.

Re: Dreadful Wednesday

• RESUME QUESTION:  During H's campaign, I was his Communications and Social Media Director- which was a volunteer position. His social media presence has been regarded as one of the best in the state in 2018, the House Dems during the campaign literally had no advice for improvement - just "keep doing exactly what you're doing."

So do I include this work in my resume?  I work in Sales and Marketing so the work itself is relevant. 

If so, do I list it as "Local State Representative Campaign" or by his Campaign Committe Name (I use my maiden name professionally)?
  • Sorry to hear about the bad job news. Even though you thought it might be coming that is still never easy. 

Absolutely include the campaign work and responsibilities in your resume. I think you could use his name unless you are concerned there could be somehow a negative tie back to you if someone realizes you're married to him? 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    I ditto  what kvruns said. And so sorry if this is the case. I hope it’s not and maybe you have time to actively look?

super quiet in the office because of weather everyone, but me, is working from home. I honestly didn’t find it to bad...  I bet my boss makes it in.  But he doesn’t come in till 9:30 or so.  So i have to call and fight with safelite before he gets in!

• I don't think it matters that we're married- he utilized me in a role I'm good at. I just wasn't sure if I should include his name.  But then again, once I start working somewhere they will eventually figure out my H is an elected official, so if they're going to exclude me for my political affiliation better to know now, right?!
  • mrsmitten said:
    I don't think it matters that we're married- he utilized me in a role I'm good at. I just wasn't sure if I should include his name.  But then again, once I start working somewhere they will eventually figure out my H is an elected official, so if they're going to exclude me for my political affiliation better to know now, right?!
    I think you should include his name and list it separately from your work experience- I have kind of a hodgepodge “Skills, Qualifications, and Vounteer Work” at the end of mine, to make it clear it’s a volunteer role. I think it does matter that you’re married- volunteering for your husband is way different than getting hired on a campaign- and while it’s great relevant experience it looks better if you’re open about that versus seeming to “sell” it as equivalent to any other job.  

And i I hope you’re wrong and today goes better than expected!!
  • I'm sorry about the job stuff.  I would definitely include the role on the resume, but it's been 20 years since I've done one (ouch).

Cards was great last night!  I thought I'd be eating chili for a week, but there is not much left at all! 

Not too much today.  Just signing the kids up for AAAALLLL the spring sports and getting the scheduling worked out for 6let's soccer team.  I asked his coach if he had a preference on game times and he just said "I'm not really a morning person" Okay then.  (we're going to have a few weeks of 6 soccer, 1 lacrosse, 1 baseball, 1 gymnastics practices.  shoot me now)

• @mrsmitten, wow!  Congrats on the speedy weight loss.  Sounds like Keto and Kickboxing is really working for you.

I'm so sorry to hear the business you jumped over to hasn't been doing well. Or at least not well enough.  I remember how torn you were when you left your previous job.  I hope, on the bright side, it was at least a refreshing change and  a chance to do something different, plus added to your skillset.  If I remember correctly, you didn't have a managerial role at your previous job and that was a negative.  But you have had some managerial responsibilities at this one.

People who can successfully advertise on social media is such a valuable skill and will just increase in value for the future.  You should definitely include your role as Communications and Social Media Director, but I don't have an opinion on if it should be under "Local State Rep Campaign" or by his Campaign Committee Name.  I'd think either one would be fine.

I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway.  Pepper the resume with your specific achievements and facts.  For example, that the campaign started on X date and in Y months had (insert number) followers/likes/etc.  Raised $$$.  And, of course, that State Sen. Mitten was elected.

Same type of data numbers for the current business you are at, but speaking in terms of "increases", since you were hired on.  Plus all your other achievements there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry to hear Kimmi...hope it’s something else!  Agree with PP to list your campaign work.  Silly as it sounds, I added my role as a Parent Delegate at my kids’ school this year to my Volunteering/Community Involvment section of my resume.  Fundraising, collaborating, negotiating...they’re buzz words.  Good luck.

Tomorrow is my “chat” with the director at the school I’m interested in, and more importantly my mother’s second opinion for her bladder polyps.  So I’m fairly distracted today.

Hope your migraine is better today @climbingwife

• That’s a bummer @mrsmitten are you still working for/with your friend? 

I agree with Starmoon; include it in a separate section, include his name. But definitely include & talk about it since it’s relevant to your work experience. 

Im sick. Woke up with a cold and I feel like it’s getting worse. But not bad enough to leave work & I have a big meeting this afternoon I can’t skip so I’m toughing it out. 
  • I’m sorry about the job @mrsmitten. Fingers crossed today goes in a better direction than expected! 

School today. I’m still sick and I’m developing a nice deep cough which might be bronchitis. Again. It was six months ago, but I still feel like I just had it. Probably because I had a cough from July through September. Ugh. I have to go to the DMV tomorrow to apply for a real ID and I’m curious how that will go. I made an appointment so I’m curious to see if that helps with the wait time. 

• levioosa said:
    I’m sorry about the job @mrsmitten. Fingers crossed today goes in a better direction than expected! 

School today. I’m still sick and I’m developing a nice deep cough which might be bronchitis. Again. It was six months ago, but I still feel like I just had it. Probably because I had a cough from July through September. Ugh. I have to go to the DMV tomorrow to apply for a real ID and I’m curious how that will go. I made an appointment so I’m curious to see if that helps with the wait time. 
    That sucks, hope you feel better soon! 

We have the DMV appointment system too and I feel like it makes a difference. You get called ahead of walk-ins, so even if you’re waiting, you’re not waiting behind everyone. 
  • eileenrob said:
    Sorry to hear Kimmi...hope it’s something else!  Agree with PP to list your campaign work.  Silly as it sounds, I added my role as a Parent Delegate at my kids’ school this year to my Volunteering/Community Involvment section of my resume.  Fundraising, collaborating, negotiating...they’re buzz words.  Good luck.

Tomorrow is my “chat” with the director at the school I’m interested in, and more importantly my mother’s second opinion for her bladder polyps.  So I’m fairly distracted today.

Hope your migraine is better today @climbingwife

It is. Thank you! 

@mrsmitte@mrsmitten I'm sorry about your job! I'd definitely include that on your resume. 
  • That’s a bummer @mrsmitten are you still working for/with your friend? 

I agree with Starmoon; include it in a separate section, include his name. But definitely include & talk about it since it’s relevant to your work experience. 

Im sick. Woke up with a cold and I feel like it’s getting worse. But not bad enough to leave work & I have a big meeting this afternoon I can’t skip so I’m toughing it out. 
    Yes, that’s how I kind of know. She’s the VP (so my day to day boss) but because of our friendship, I negotiate and am hired/fired from the owner. 

He didn't 100% know yet what’ve was trying to do but wants to keep me and thinks a 2-3 month layoff is best; but I can’t make my bills on unemployment alone. Hell, I can barely pay my mortgage. I’d be fine for a couple of months, but is it worth it?  I don’t know. 

I hope everyone with bugs feels better soon. H has been down for the count for a week or so now. Winter colds are brutal!
  • mrsmitten said:
    That’s a bummer @mrsmitten are you still working for/with your friend? 

Yes, that’s how I kind of know. She’s the VP (so my day to day boss) but because of our friendship, I negotiate and am hired/fired from the owner. 

He didn't 100% know yet what’ve was trying to do but wants to keep me and thinks a 2-3 month layoff is best; but I can’t make my bills on unemployment alone. Hell, I can barely pay my mortgage. I’d be fine for a couple of months, but is it worth it?  I don’t know. 

I hope everyone with bugs feels better soon. H has been down for the count for a week or so now. Winter colds are brutal!
    Definitely not worth it! He wants to fire you now and rehire you in 2-3 months? His business is a dumpster fire and you should focus all your energy on getting a different job. The nerve!
    That means it won't work and the business isn't going to go but he wants to string you along.

I can understand the idea behind it but you either need to furlough your workforce with a reopen date or not.   

I'm sorry @mrsmitten.   I hope you find something soon!
  • @mrsmitten Congrats on the weight loss! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your meeting with your boss goes in a more positive direction than you're anticipating!

@levioosa @climbingwife I hope you both feel better!

I had to leave work early yesterday to pick up Babypants and take her to the pediatrician. Turns out the poor thing has pneumonia! H & I are home today, alternating working and taking care of our sick bunny. She hadn't eaten anything yesterday, although she was able to take in fluids. Today I was able to get her to eat about 3/4 a scrambled egg and some crackers at lunch today, so it seems like the antibiotics are doing their job. 

I have two annoying conference calls this afternoon (one of which I am on right now haha) and then hopefully Babypants (who is currently napping) continues to feel better so she can get some more nourishment. 
  • Oh no, @sparklepants41! Healthy vibes for Babypants! 

@mrsmitten I’m really sorry about the job. The owner’s offer to you seems really unfair. 

• oh no @sparklepants41!  Chiquita had pneumonia when she was 13 mo.   It was awful but once she had the antibiotics in her for over a day it was a major corner turned and hopefully it's the same for you too. 
  • Just read your update @mrsmitten. That really sucks!! Hopefully something better will come along soon!!
  • mrsmitten said:

I think you know the answer is to look for something else, pronto :(.  2-3 months is a long time to wait for a re-hiring that may not even happen.

I remember your saying on a recent post that you should be able to find another job in your previous industry within about a month or so.  I'm sure it's tough to give up on an employer you worked so hard to help grow, but it seems like it's time.

FWIW, I had a veer in my career and then went back to the kind of work I did before.  I went from project/admin. support -->retail management -->procurement (along the lines of project/admin support).  There was good and bad with those decisions.  TBH, I felt much more fulfilled and made a good bit more money in retail management.  But the hours were brutal and, for my own physical and emotional well being, I just couldn't do it anymore.  So I went back to where my core experience was. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh the owner sucks Kimmi- sorry you’re going through this after all you’ve done for the company.

Feel better soon @levioosa and babypants!
  • He is the worst.  I didn't get here until after 3 because ironically I had client meetings, so it's looking like I won't even talk to him today since he was already here for lunch and all.  Argh.

*If* the lay-off is what he's offering, he's asking me to choose between paying my bills and my commitment to the team and clients.  For someone like me, that really sucks because while I have a baseline to live off of, my career is more than just a job to me and I hate thinking I'm going to have leave friends and clients in a bad spot.  Friend/Boss and I talked it over more today too, if, big *if*, I accept his proposition there will be a contract with a return date and signing bonus, if I return, for the lost pay.  As confident as I am that I can find a job quickly, it's no guarantee and I'd be stupid to turn down a waiting job if I didn't find anything else.
  • Also, what are the good websites to job hunt on?  I haven't done this in almost 10 years!
  • What a bad position to put you in.  I agree if a contract is in place, what will it hurt? If you find something in the meantime weigh your options then?

• I prefer linkedin and indeed.  Make sure to beef up your linkedIn profile as well while you are searching!  Also, some companies hardly advertise openings outside of their own websites, so if there are companies or other businesses you're interested in maybe working for make sure to check individual websites as well.
  • 6fsn said:
    M2 makes her First Communion in May. My mil just emailed me that she’ll be there, but sfil won’t make it because he’s announcing a high school baseball game. I know I can’t change someone’s priorities, but damn it makes me sad. I just don’t get it. 
    I mean maybe if this was perhaps the only source of income and they needed that cash? 

But as a mom of a kid who made her 1st in May last year yeah, the only person I gave the get out of this free card was my brother who is in retail management and a Saturday is a really really hard day to get out of when you're the guy in charge.  

• mrsmitten said:
    Also, what are the good websites to job hunt on?  I haven't done this in almost 10 years!
    Agreed with LinkedIn & Indeed. Also Idealist is you’re open to non-profit work (especially since I know a career is more than just a paycheck for you).