Connecticut

Friend Officiating CT?

Hi all!! My FH and I asked a close friend to officiate our wedding in Stonington this summer, but now I'm seeing online that CT won't allow folks with online ordination (Universal Life Church, etc) to legally marry you. Another good friend was married in CT by a friend who was ordained through ULC last summer, and they said they didn't have any issues....I'm just nervous about the validity here. Any insight/advice? 

Re: Friend Officiating CT?

• We ran into the exact same issue like two weeks ago. We were told that there are justices of peace who will allow your friend to do the ceremony but will be present as a witness and do all the legal paperwork so that's the route we're going. 
  • Hi!! CT started to allowed online ordination in 2015
    From ct.gov
    Sec. 46b-22. (Formerly Sec. 46-3). Who may join persons in marriage. Penalty for unauthorized performance. (a) Persons authorized to solemnize marriages in this state include (1) all judges and retired judges, either elected or appointed, including federal judges and judges of other states who may legally join persons in marriage in their jurisdictions, (2) family support magistrates, family support referees, state referees and justices of the peace who are appointed in Connecticut, and (3) all ordained or licensed members of the clergy, belonging to this state or any other state. All marriages solemnized according to the forms and usages of any religious denomination in this state, including marriages witnessed by a duly constituted Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is, are valid. All marriages attempted to be celebrated by any other person are void.