Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Fitted or Ballgown

soooo I went to try wedding dresses and now I’m just really confused 😱 I wanted something form fitting, lace, with sleeves and an open back. The few dresses the boutique had that fit the description I thought looked horrible on me (all I could see was my stomach pooch) and I couldn’t convince myself to take any of the ballgowns bc it’s just not the image I was going for or even remotely in line with my rustic wedding. I don’t know what to do :( 

Re: Fitted or Ballgown

• Options
    I LOVE that second dress on you!! I think you look stunning!! What dress do you feel better in?
  • Options
    I LOVE that second dress on you!! I think you look stunning!! What dress do you feel better in?
    I felt better in the first one however it’s not even remotely what I envisioned me wearing. I liked the second one, I just felt like it showed all my fat pockets lol
  • Options
    CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2019

I would absolutely recommend finding a dress that you FEEL great in.  My dress looked great in pictures, and was the favorite of my family when I tried it on but I didn't feel great in it.  I still regret not getting the one that felt the best on me (not only comfortable, but just felt like me)

ETA: Objectively, I think both dresses are stunning and slightly prefer the ball gown

• Options
    I certainly don't see anything that looks even remotely like a stomach pooch. But it's really about what you feel best in.

If you don't feel your best in anything from this shop, try another shop. Don't give up after just one trip. 
    This. We're all our own worst critic and if you don't think you look great in a dress today, you definitely won't feel much better on the day of. 

Just keep shopping. I would try to focus less on the venue and overall "theme" or whatever of your wedding. A wedding dress is a wedding dress. As long as there will be a wedding, you won't be out of place.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    You look beautiful in both, but you have to go with what you feel beautiful and comfortable in. Comfort counts for more than you think; you’ll be wearing the dress for hours.
  • Options
    You look lovely in the ballgown dress.  I think you would love it even more if the bodice was a little longer.  It would give you a bit more of the fitted feel and look you want.  The dress is also clearly big on you.  It will look very different when altered to your size.

The second dress is also lovely.  I am not 100% in love with the neckline of it, however.  It seems boxy compared to the rest of the dress.

I would encourage you to try a few more dresses.  Ask to try a ballgown that has a more elongated bodice and see if you like more than this one.  Try on a fitted dress that has a more delicate neckline.

Stomach pooch?  Fat pockets? Sigh......don't do that to yourself!

• Options
    I would try not to focus on what you thought you wanted. I thought I had a perfect dress. Tried it on and it was horrible. How you feel is more important than any preconcieved vision. 
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2019
    Try to let go of any preconceived notions about what kind of wedding dress you want (I know, easier said than done). You are more likely to find something you love if you open yourself up to more possibilities. Both with my wedding dress and with other types of dresses I've bought over the years, I have often gone home with something very different from what I went out looking for, and I've usually been happier for it. 

And you are not limited to one bridal shop. If you're not sure about anything you saw at this one, visit others. I was feeling pretty uncertain after the first store I went to, but found the perfect dress for me at the second one. As lovely as you look in these dresses (especially the first one, IMHO), you clearly aren't thrilled with either one. While you don't have to have that weeping, angels-singing, say-yes-to-the-dress moment, you should still get to wear a wedding dress that you feel really good in. If neither of these is that dress, keep shopping.
  • Options
    I think they both look nice on you, but I think I like the ballgown best. Keep in mind there are styles between the two. Maybe try on some a-line styles, which aren't as poofy as a ballgown but aren't as slim fitted as the second picture. 
  • Options
    I like the ballgown best. You look great in the second one but I am not a fan of the straps. Are they added? 
    I agree with others though, pick the one you feel best in. You will look beautiful in anything. :)
  • Options
    You look stunning in both. In no way could I see any fat- but I know we are all our own worst enemy.

Someone once told me: if you are overwhelmed with a decision, chances are you are underwhelmed with the options. Keep looking! Try another shop. Try a completely different silhouette. You’ll see if you gravitate back to a certain option or go in a new direction. There are a lot of options in between a ball gown and a form fitted dress.

good luck (and again, you look beautiful in both!)
  • Options
    I think you look lovely in both.  (I know we’re our toughest critics though.) I personally like the second one more.  But ditto PP, if you’re not thrilled with either, look around some more.
  • Options

I agree with the other PPs.  It seems you like both gowns, but aren't WOW'ed by them.  Do more shopping!  There are so many wedding dress styles out there.  I think you just haven't found the right one for yourself, yet.

@downtowndiva said it best, lol.  It doesn't need to be an "angels singing" dress.  But it should be a dress where you feel GOOD, happy, and confident when you put it on.

I also agree with everyone that you look amazing in both dresses!  But you need to feel amazing in the dress you choose.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The ballgown is beautiful on you. But you are the one who has to love your dress. I will say that if you go with a ballgown or A-line, you won't be worried about your stomach sticking out if you want to eat a lot at your reception.
  • Options
    You do look gorgeous in both dresses but I do agree with PP about the straps on the second one. If you don't like these keep looking. BTW, there is no stomach pooch! You look great!
  • Options
    This is the gown my DW wore. If you’re concerned about a stomach pooch, a cut like this is a sort of a happy medium between the fitted and the ballgown. 

• Options
    IMO - the Ballgown ATW!!!  It screams Cat Call!!!!  WOW!  Not overpowering nor busy on you, very elegant!  Something about it just works better on you IMO from a purely in pictures standpoint.  

That said - YOUR opinion is the only one that matters and nothing should talk you out or in to a dress other than you.  Which one do you look in the mirror at yourself and say "DAMN!! I'd marry myself wearing this I look so good!"?  Which one makes you want to twirl around and dance with happiness?  Go with that one!