Moms and Maids
Options

Mother of the groom dress

Hey girls,

My FMIL got a dress that was very sexy looking and thought it was too flashy so she returned it. I thought the dress was beautiful in the pic she showed me and the color was nice but she wasn't comfortable in it. I am not sure if I am supposed to coordinate the BMs dresses with the mothers. The BMs dresses are two colors, one is a slate blue/grey the other one is a very pale blue, they look great together. My moms dress is charcoal. FMIL said she was thinking of getting champagne. Would that look weird in contrast to everyone else, or will it be too close to my dress. My gown is ivory/champagne, but there are so many different shades of that color it might not even look similar at all. I just don't want her dress color to stand out to much and look out of place I guess? I suppose it wouldn't really matter it is just hard to picture everything in my head right now lol.

Re: Mother of the groom dress

• Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2019
    Moms get to pick their own dresses, including the color. They do not need to coordinate with the bridesmaids. 

The only guidance I gave my mom regarding dress color was telling her to be confident she would like how it looked in pictures because I didn't want to hear about it for the next 20 years if she didn't like how she looked in the pictures.
  • Options
    Exactly what @downtondiva said. You don't need to worry about what your FMIL is wearing at all!
  • Options
    Hey girls,

My FMIL got a dress that was very sexy looking and thought it was too flashy so she returned it. I thought the dress was beautiful in the pic she showed me and the color was nice but she wasn't comfortable in it. I am not sure if I am supposed to coordinate the BMs dresses with the mothers. The BMs dresses are two colors, one is a slate blue/grey the other one is a very pale blue, they look great together. My moms dress is charcoal. FMIL said she was thinking of getting champagne. Would that look weird in contrast to everyone else, or will it be too close to my dress. My gown is ivory/champagne, but there are so many different shades of that color it might not even look similar at all. I just don't want her dress color to stand out to much and look out of place I guess? I suppose it wouldn't really matter it is just hard to picture everything in my head right now lol.
    No! You have absolutely no say in what she wears. It was wrong and overbearing of you to get her to return something. She can wear anything she likes.

From here, you, tell her you must have lost your mind and apologize for overstepping, tell her you just want her to be comfortable and feel beautiful, and leave her be. There is no reason for her to coordinate with anything. 
  • Options
    Let the moms wear whatever colors they want. They don't need to match or coordinate. My brother is getting married this year. Bridesmaids are in red, one mom is wearing navy, the other is in black. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If it’s about dresses clashing in photos you don’t have to worry- I’ve never really stood for posed photos as a BM with the groom’s parents.  And clashing in person...the guests will be in a variety of colors, and come reception the parents and BP are guests like everyone else, so no biggie.
    Just encourage your FMIL to pick a dress in any color she feels good in.