Wedding Woes

It's not Monday anymore!

What's cookin' ladies?

I'm booking my flight back to Chicago for the Stones concerts in June. I am NOT a good flyer and I also do NOT do well doing anxiety-provoking things alone so this will suck. But I need to adult sometimes, I guess. 

Not much else for me, today. H's plumber friend is coming over tonight to see what he can fix for cheap. Frozen lasagna for dinner and hopefully an early night!
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: It's not Monday anymore!

• One day closer to Friday. 

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my FIL's passing, so just trying to do all I can for my H. 

My BFF is in a wedding in Vegas in August, and I'm actually considering going w/ her...haha. I did go to Vegas in late July back in 2005 and it was brutally hot. But, I'd be spending my time either inside or at the pool. 

Lots of work stuff today. Have to give reviews to my team. 
  • I finally finished a big project at work that's been hanging over my head for about a week.  Now it's on to the next big project.  Which has also been hanging over my head for over a week, lol.  But I'd already given a heads up that maybe the end of this week is the best I can do.

I found another job I'm applying for!  The work doesn't sound wonderful like the one I applied for last week did.  But I'm extremely qualified and it would almost double my pay!  They actually listed the salary in the ad.  I looked them up to see what they do.  I think the phrase they used on their website is they manufacture "tubular solutions" :headtilt:.  Do they mean...pipe?  Yes, lmao.  That is exactly what they mean.  Specifically for the oil and gas industry.

I had something perk my spirits yesterday!  I got a typical Groupon travel e-mail.  It advertised one bedroom Gulf front condos in Panama City, FL for $137/night.  I checked it out and booked a long weekend in April!  Yaasss!  Usually those kind of rooms, after all the fees, average out to be $250/night.  I booked 4 nights for a little over $600.  It's an amazing deal.  My H and I now have something to really look forward to (no matter what happens with the duplex I'm still vying for).  He looked the building up online and excitedly told me there is an on-site Starbucks and an ice cream shop across the street, lol.

For more bonus on the trip, I booked it for Easter weekend.  Because Good Friday is a holiday at my work.  So my usual half-day Friday moves to Thurs.  We're actually leaving Wed. afternoon, so I end up only having to take one vacation day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That sounds like a nice getaway @short+sassy! Good vibes to your H @climbingwife and good for you booking the flight @ShesSoCold!

After a couple of spring-like days it’s freezing again here.  Bummer.  H and I have to nail down when we’re going away this summer (the “where” is the same as always, NH :) ), I think we’ll try and do that later.  SSDD otherwise.
  • We’re still dealing with some of the fallout from this weekend and it’s emotionally exhausting. Even moreso because I work on the same floor as BIL and will inevitably run into him today. 

Other than that just just catching up after having the day off. I really like this 4 day work week thing. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yesterday got the better of me @charlotte989875 I meant to go back to the Monday thread to comment, but sending good vibes to your family. I hope everyone is okay 
  • I have someone in scanning my files today as I have to go paperless (insert toddler tantrum on the loss of my file cabinet). Since she's right by me I feel like I have to be more productive today than usual LOL
  • We’re still dealing with some of the fallout from this weekend and it’s emotionally exhausting. Even moreso because I work on the same floor as BIL and will inevitably run into him today. 

Other than that just just catching up after having the day off. I really like this 4 day work week thing. 
    I didn't realize you worked in the same building as your BIL!  Do the two of you work for the same company or is it just a coinky-dink you all are in the same office building?

I'm sure it must be an awkward situation at the present time.  I hope things get worked out for your BIL and his family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I didn't realize you worked in the same building as your BIL!  Do the two of you work for the same company or is it just a coinky-dink you all are in the same office building?

I'm sure it must be an awkward situation at the present time.  I hope things get worked out for your BIL and his family.
    Thanks! I really appreciate that! We actually work in the same division at the same company, but on different teams (thankfully). At least our desks are on different sides of the floor. 

It’s all awkward, and sad, and hard right now. 

Thanks @eileenrob! Everyone is safe right now, which is the most important thing. All the good vibes welcome!  
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @charlotte989875- I’m sorry you guys are going through this 
  • Hugs @charlotte989875 and @climbingwife

That’s a great find @short+sassy!  And good luck on the applications! 

It’s starting to get up to the 80’s here again and I am so salty about it. I’m not ready for it, or for our electricity bill to shoot up. Otherwise not too much going on here. I have an appointment at noon next to one of my favorite Indian places and I’m debating getting lunch there, or being disciplined and coming home to food I already own. 

• Charlotte - sorry for that terrible situation! I hope you can avoid BIL. 
  • OOM we had one of those tantrums at drop off today. I would not be surprised if he bursts out crying throughout the day thinking of it (he wanted a different pen when I was signing him in - I let him scribble with it after I'm done and he had a meltdown because he didn't like that one).  
  • I'm sorry Climbingwife & Charlotte. Hugs and good vibes.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Hugs to you both, @charlotte989875 & @climbingwife

@short+sassy Good luck on the job posting!

@levioosa Get the Indian food! I think I'm going to talk H into getting Indian takeout this weekend because it's been far too long since I've had beef curry.

Super happy that it's already Tuesday. I have a massive amount of work to get done between now and tomorrow at 5 pm so I can actually enjoy my four days off. 
  • Hugs @charlotte989875 and @climbingwife

This week is so weird without our normal routine and DefConn not being here.  I'm so looking forward to not having my alarm on at all next week. 

My chin broke out.  Ugh.  

Other than that, it's Tuesday.  Worky, work.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Hugs @charlotte989875 and @climbingwife

This week is so weird without our normal routine and DefConn not being here.  I'm so looking forward to not having my alarm on at all next week. 

My chin broke out.  Ugh.  

Other than that, it's Tuesday.  Worky, work.  
    My chin is breaking out too! I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. 
  • Hugs @charlotte989875 and @climbingwife.   Good luck with everything that the stress of today may be bringing.

I'm trying to plow through work and I'm currently loving the ABC podcasts on Theranos.   This entire story is so fascinating to me. 
  • Sending you guys hugs and good vibes, @charlotte989875 & @climbingwife!

We got our taxes done this past weekend. Refund is not as good as last year, but a refund is a refund I suppose. 

Finally made an appointment with a dermatologist (I've never seen one before) for a mole on my right shoulder blade and some really annoying scalp issues. 

My case of the fuckits has gotten a lot worse at work. I just need to rally and make it to the weekend, but this will be a looooong and frustrating week. 

We got our taxes done this past weekend. Refund is not as good as last year, but a refund is a refund I suppose. 

Finally made an appointment with a dermatologist (I've never seen one before) for a mole on my right shoulder blade and some really annoying scalp issues. 

My case of the fuckits has gotten a lot worse at work. I just need to rally and make it to the weekend, but this will be a looooong and frustrating week. 
    I am polling everyone I know about taxes.  So far one person I know did the same as last year.  The rest have been lower than last year and a lit of people paying!!
    i’m in the “lower than last year” camp.  

I am polling everyone I know about taxes.  So far one person I know did the same as last year.  The rest have been lower than last year and a lit of people paying!!
    Count me as another who is getting the same as last year, thankfully.
  • Surprisingly, we are in the higher than last year tax refund camp.  We were very surprised.
  • kvruns said:
    OOM we had one of those tantrums at drop off today. I would not be surprised if he bursts out crying throughout the day thinking of it (he wanted a different pen when I was signing him in - I let him scribble with it after I'm done and he had a meltdown because he didn't like that one).  

Kids!

We are receiving less back as well, even with a kid!  The removal of certain deductions has us taking the standard, which we have never claimed since we got married.

Not saying this is true for anyone here.

A generalization is that most people saved on their overall tax burden, but had less taxes taken out of their checks.  So they didn't realize/pay attention that they were simply getting to keep more of their money throughout the year.  But are now PO'd they didn't get refunds or as big a refund as in years past.

To an extent, I can understand people being upset about that.  I didn't really pay attention to the tax changes either at the beginning of 2018.  But I've also found it alarming that some people don't understand the concept.  And seem to think their tax refund is just this "free money".  ((Yelling to the masses)), "NO! It's YOUR money that you've been letting the government keep interest free all year."

Nothing wrong if someone knowingly works their finances that way.  But I've both met and read online people, who don't understand that's what's happening and it makes me sad.  I know, I know, better financial literacy is one of my soapbox items.  I'll get off it now.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

We are receiving less back as well, even with a kid!  The removal of certain deductions has us taking the standard, which we have never claimed since we got married.
    I was shocked by this when I saw the new tax laws.  This is huge for people who wouldn't normally take deductions anyway.

Where was this before I bought a house?!? lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am still waiting for H's accountant to do our personal taxes. We dropped everything off weeks ago. He's only done the business taxes so far. 
  • My tax refund was significantly lower, but I also lost a significant deduction that I am blanking on right now (I think this is my first year not having a student loan interest deduction).  K's ended up being about the same, but there was a flip in an education credit that we were able to keep getting this year, instead of expiring last year like we thought.

IDK why I am just drudging about right now.  I don't want to get out of bed at all and I'm having problems concentrating at work.  Thank goodness I have at least a daily "to-do" list, so if i at least get through that, I'm performing at an average level.  But right now, I'm just blah.  I don't think I know how to do things when I don't have an overarching project driving me.
  • My tax refund was half of what it was last year. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Our refund is always a mess, but this is the first time since before I was married I haven’t itemized.