Attire & Accessories Forum

Mother of the Bride and Groom Attire

Our colors are navy (groomsmen) and burgundy (bridesmaids) and since the mothers will be wearing dresses, I prefer they aren't burgundy and clash with the bridesmaids. I think navy is an okay color, but do I actually get any say in what they wear? I want everyone to be coordinated because we will be doing family photos so to some extent I do care, but when it comes to mothers and grandparents, how do I politely ask them to stick with our theme? Or do I choose a different color all together for them?

Re: Mother of the Bride and Groom Attire

• Our colors are navy (groomsmen) and burgundy (bridesmaids) and since the mothers will be wearing dresses, I prefer they aren't burgundy and clash with the bridesmaids. I think navy is an okay color, but do I actually get any say in what they wear? I want everyone to be coordinated because we will be doing family photos so to some extent I do care, but when it comes to mothers and grandparents, how do I politely ask them to stick with our theme? Or do I choose a different color all together for them?
    There is no way to "politely" tell someone what to wear. Your mother and FMIL (and grandparents) get to wear whatever they feel beautiful in. If that happens to be burgundy then you're just going to have to suck it up. Burgundy is a lovely color. 

• Take the "Bridal Blinders" off!!! 

Let them choose their colors/attire to be "What they feel awesome wearing and looking at themselves in pictures for the next 50+ years!"..  The colors they wear are really not that big of a deal, OTOH, if they ask for a swatch because they want to not "clash" because it's THEIR choice, have one ready to give.  Clashing with the bridal party is not something to be concerned about!  
  • This isn't your decision to make. They can wear whatever color they like. My MOH wore purple at my wedding, and I know my mom tried on some purple dresses while shopping. As it turned out, she found a dress in another color, but I saw no issue with her wearing purple. I just cared that she liked her dress and would be happy how she looked in the pictures!
  • Our colors are navy (groomsmen) and burgundy (bridesmaids) and since the mothers will be wearing dresses, I prefer they aren't burgundy and clash with the bridesmaids. I think navy is an okay color, but do I actually get any say in what they wear? I want everyone to be coordinated because we will be doing family photos so to some extent I do care, but when it comes to mothers and grandparents, how do I politely ask them to stick with our theme? Or do I choose a different color all together for them?
    Nope, you would be completely out of line to try to tell them what to wear. It doesn't matter if you care or not, there is no polite way to tell them what to wear. 

• Good news!  You don't have to do anything!  The moms pick out their attire and get to dress themselves.

• I agree with the others.  It is not appropriate to tell the MOB and MOG what to wear or what colors to choose/avoid.

Your pictures will be beautiful, no matter what colors people are wearing in them.  Think about it this way for just a sec.  Have you ever looked at a group picture and said, "This would be such great picture if the colors people were wearing didn't clash."  I never have and I'm guessing you probably haven't either ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker