Wedding Reception Forum

Appetizers

We are having passed appetizers for our wedding, but I cannot decide which three I want. My fiancé doesn't care so he is no help. The venue agreed to make fried ravioli for one of the appetizers so I still need to pick two more. Which do you think sound the best? Thanks! 

Re: Appetizers

• I would one vegetarian one, the deconstructed spanakopita or the tomato basil parm grilled cheese sounds great to me!  For the other I would pick the sesame chicken bites with sweet mango mustard.

Personally, I would stay away from anything spicy or divisive just to appeal to the most people.  For example, I would personally love to eat the spicy samosa or short rib thing but horseradish turns a lot of ppl off and spicy may not go over well either. 

Menu lookds great!

• I agree to split between veg/non-veg and to stick to less controversial things (like I want poached pears and Gorgonzola but I know not everyone loves Gorgonzola)

My top two would be the filet with onion focaccia and the Gouda beignet. 
  • Echoing PPs on a veg & non-veg. (I also love pears and Gorgonzola, but agree with MRDCle that Gorgonzola is not for everyone).

My favorites are the Gouda beignet and either the melon with proscuitto (if your wedding is in the summer) or the grilled shrimp with pineapple BBQ glaze. 
  • I'm sorry.  This has gotten beyond absurd.  I think we have all earned invitations to this wedding.  Your FI has been of NO help whatsoever, and we have been asked to provide input on almost literally EVERY decision, including whether your programs should be flat or folded.

The least you could do is let us know what the final decisions have been!
  • I dunno. Having an opinionated husband, and having just paid for D's wedding to an opinionated man, I think I might enjoy getting to choose everything myself! But since I have not had that experience, I can't say for sure! 

In any case, good luck to you. All of your options sound delicious!
  • maine7mob said:
    I dunno. Having an opinionated husband, and having just paid for D's wedding to an opinionated man, I think I might enjoy getting to choose everything myself! But since I have not had that experience, I can't say for sure! 

In any case, good luck to you. All of your options sound delicious!
    My fiancé is opinionated on things I wouldn't expect him to be like the holder for the sand for our sand ceremony, alcohol (which I did expect since I don't drink), having parents introduced at the reception, and those are just to name a few. He feels for the appetizers it doesn't matter much because we won't be eating the food since we will be doing photos during that time which is why he doesn't really care so much. I think I'm going to go with the sesame chicken bites with mango mustard and tomato basil grilled cheese. 
  • MobKaz said:
    I'm sorry.  This has gotten beyond absurd.  I think we have all earned invitations to this wedding.  Your FI has been of NO help whatsoever, and we have been asked to provide input on almost literally EVERY decision, including whether your programs should be flat or folded.

The least you could do is let us know what the final decisions have been!
    He has opinions on things I wouldn't expect. He has let me make most of the decisions because he wants it be my dream wedding. I have not made a decision yet about programs because I am having a difficult time finding ones I like. The reason I ask so many questions is because I haven't been to very many weddings so getting others opinions is helpful. 
  • edited April 2019
    As a vegetarian, I will say that your guests will appreciate having a vegetarian option. I would also pick the melon and prosciutto because it’s simple and not too heavy. All the vegetarian options sound fabulous, but like PPs have said, watch the spice levels.
  • I'd go for the pears since it covers vegetarian and gluten free...  As for the third, the grilled shrimp...  I agree with the others that choosing something that's spicy can be off-putting especially for those sensitive to spice.  Also, the idea of looking at something and knowing what's in it without being surprised by mystery ingredients/sauces (especially for those with food sensitivities), and not messy is appreciated!
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I'd go for the pears since it covers vegetarian and gluten free...  As for the third, the grilled shrimp...  I agree with the others that choosing something that's spicy can be off-putting especially for those sensitive to spice.  Also, the idea of looking at something and knowing what's in it without being surprised by mystery ingredients/sauces (especially for those with food sensitivities), and not messy is appreciated!
    The pears are a good idea too. Only problem with shrimp is the potential for allergic reactions, so only do that if you’re absolutely sure none of your guests are allergic to shellfish.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I'd go for the pears since it covers vegetarian and gluten free...  As for the third, the grilled shrimp...  I agree with the others that choosing something that's spicy can be off-putting especially for those sensitive to spice.  Also, the idea of looking at something and knowing what's in it without being surprised by mystery ingredients/sauces (especially for those with food sensitivities), and not messy is appreciated!
    The pears are a good idea too. Only problem with shrimp is the potential for allergic reactions, so only do that if you’re absolutely sure none of your guests are allergic to shellfish.
    I disagree about the shrimp. People who are allergic something know not to eat it. You have other appetizers without shrimp so if you absolutely love shrimp (and this preparation), I say go ahead. DD had shrimp for an appetizer but there were other options so if anyone was allergic they had other choices.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I disagree about the shrimp. People who are allergic something know not to eat it. You have other appetizers without shrimp so if you absolutely love shrimp (and this preparation), I say go ahead. DD had shrimp for an appetizer but there were other options so if anyone was allergic they had other choices.
    True, assuming for these that they'd be plated/ passed separately from the others. It's cookie trays where the peanut butter cookies are touching all the other ones that kill me because then I can't have any of them.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    True, assuming for these that they'd be plated/ passed separately from the others. It's cookie trays where the peanut butter cookies are touching all the other ones that kill me because then I can't have any of them.
    Oh yes, I remember! Yes I was assuming they would be plated and/or passed separately. Good catch!
  • edited April 2019
    MesmrEwe said:
    My fiancé is allergic to shellfish so shrimp is out. We aren't doing anything with peanut butter or anything like that. We are having a candy bar as well and all of the candy will be in separate jars so even if we do decide to do something with peanut or something else that people either don't like or are allergic to then they don't have to eat that.